superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonHolliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "THE SPECIAL REPORT!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 20, 2024, 04:58:50 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The "blatant rip-offs of Superman in advertising" thread...  (Read 10934 times)
JulianPerez
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2006, 05:23:20 PM »

Making references to Superman in places like advertising doesn't bother me because Superman is a character that - like Tarzan - has become so ubiquitous in pop culture the world over that, in a sense, he belongs to everybody just like Beethoven or Wagner...and further, when you reach the level of fame that Superman has reached as a fictional character, you start to represent a characteristic - in Superman's case, his ability to do anything (which is something a good computing firm would want!)

There was a story about the head of the recently opened BarnesAndNoble.com telling his computer technicians to think of themselves as Hercules. Not just because of Hercules's strength and fortitude, but because Hercules was the killer of Amazon women!  Wink

But if you want to see one especially funny reference to Superman in advertising, here in Miami the Uruguayan restaurant ZUPERPOLLO will oblige!

www.zuperpollo.com

Intriguingly, their specialty is steak, not chicken.

"Wait, folks...in a startling new development, Black Goliath has ripped Stilt-Man's leg off, and appears to be beating him with it!"
       - Reporter, Champions #15 (1978)
dmat
Supermen of America

« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2006, 03:28:11 AM »

I'm not sure if anyone knows of/recalls this, but a few years ago a fellow by the name of Russell Oliver got in some trouble with DC.  He'd show up on local (Toronto) TV in ads, calling himself Cashman ("your jewelery for my cash!").  His costume was Superman's, except with a C instead of an S.  I wish I had a photo, because nothing did justice to the suit like a balding, slightly overweight, glasses wearing, middle-aged dude  Smiley

He even has a reference in Wikepedia, and since he's no longer referring himself as Cashman, I'm thinking DC lawyers did their job pretty thoroughly.

jamespup
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2006, 04:58:38 AM »

In the 60's, there was a dry-cleaning establishment in Lake Ronkonkoma NY called Kent Cleaners.

In one of the display posters in the store, was a drawing of a fellow in a suit and glasses that looked remarkably like the Curt Swan version of Clark Kent

I can't determine if it was a chain of stores or not....unable to find a copy of the poster online anywhere

Aldous
Superman Squad

Downunder

« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2006, 06:42:31 AM »

I wish I had a photo, because nothing did justice to the suit like a balding, slightly overweight, glasses wearing, middle-aged dude  Smiley

It'll even happen to the big guy himself one day...

Aldous
Superman Squad

Downunder

« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2006, 09:58:43 PM »

Here is the label from a can of food that was sitting in my kitchen cupboard. I must have seen this particular food label many times, but I never properly noticed the Superman rip-off.

And yes, that is a can-opener hanging from his belt.
jamespup
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2006, 10:33:34 PM »

That's GREAT !   I assume he's Beanman !
Aldous
Superman Squad

Downunder

« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2007, 01:07:39 AM »

A security company's sign on a shop in Melbourne.

jamespup
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2007, 02:33:16 AM »

http://www.charlesro.com/welcome_to_charles_ro.htm

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L