superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonHolliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "GENERAL DESTRUCTION!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 10:10:07 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Undervalued Influential Artists  (Read 3600 times)
Michel Weisnor
Action Ace

« on: December 27, 2006, 02:19:07 AM »

A few days ago, I read Erik Larsen's column about Nestor Redondo

http://comicbookresources.com/columns/?column=20

After tracking down a few Rima issues, I got to thinking about other artists lost over time. Please, feel free to post any overlooked artists (you have a soft spot for).

Right now, I'm really into Alex Raymond's Flash Gordon serials. I can't get over his fab work.  Grin

"Truth, Tolerance, and Justice"
Aldous
Superman Squad

Downunder

« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2006, 04:17:46 AM »

A few days ago, I read Erik Larsen's column about Nestor Redondo

http://comicbookresources.com/columns/?column=20

After tracking down a few Rima issues, I got to thinking about other artists lost over time. Please, feel free to post any overlooked artists (you have a soft spot for).

Right now, I'm really into Alex Raymond's Flash Gordon serials. I can't get over his fab work.  Grin

I had a quick check (without delving too deeply into the comics boxes) -- and I knew I had some Nestor Redondo comics reproduced in black and white:

I'm not sure you could call Alex Raymond undervalued. Could there possibly be a good comics artist anywhere who doesn't understand the influence of Mr. Raymond?

I do prefer the European artists to the American when it comes to the comics that aren't mainstream, or "super-hero". There are some in my collection I could name, but I doubt you would have heard of them. When I can dig out the mags I could post some images of fantastic artists. I especially like "good girl art".

As mentioned in the column, I like Alex Nino's art. He's great on SF or quirky horror tales.

One of the best comic book artists of all time was Mac Raboy. Again, although he is not so well-known now (as far as the modern comic book buyer is concerned) it would be a stretch to call him "undervalued". I don't have the book to hand, but if anyone has the superb Steranko "History of Comics" Vol. 2 (I'm sure it's Vol. 2), there is quite a bit of information about Mr Raboy, from what I remember. I suppose he is like Mr Raymond in that he was a very skilled draughtsman.
Permanus
Superman Squad

« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2006, 10:44:30 AM »

I don't think Alex Raymond was undervalued by any means, at least not during his lifetime, but I don't suppose many people know his work now. I personally prefer his work on Rip Kirby to the Flash Gordon stuff; the artwork is achingly beautiful.

Mac Raboy seemingly continues to enjoy popularity, apparently as some sort of gay icon, I was surprised to discover. I suppose there is a certain gay sensibility to his work.

Like Aldous, a lot of my favourite artists are European, but I don't think they have ever had much influence on American comics, unless you count Jean Giraud (a.k.a. Moebius), whom John Byrne cites as an influence. To me, this is rather like hearing that Jim Davis got the idea for Garfield from the Sistine Chapel, but there you go. Oh, and of course there are the Argentinian cartoonists Munoz and Sampayo, who were completely ripped off by Keith Giffen. I just like to say that every now and then, lest anyone forget.

Between the revolution and the firing-squad, there is always time for a glass of champagne.
Aldous
Superman Squad

Downunder

« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2006, 05:06:10 AM »

Permanus:

Oh, and of course there are the Argentinian cartoonists Munoz and Sampayo, who were completely ripped off by Keith Giffen. I just like to say that every now and then, lest anyone forget.

Noted.

Then there's Floyd Gottfredson. I wanted something to read today while I was having lunch, so I pulled out "The Captive Castaways" (1934).

I scanned this from a 1987 Gladstone edition. The inker is Ted Thwaites and the script-writer is Merrill de Maris.

Witty drawings from a talented man... Pegleg Pete is hilarious in this comic.
MatterEaterLad
Council of Wisdom

Silver Age Surfer

« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2006, 05:23:41 AM »

Then there's Floyd Gottfredson. I wanted something to read today while I was having lunch, so I pulled out "The Captive Castaways" (1934).

I scanned this from a 1987 Gladstone edition. The inker is Ted Thwaites and the script-writer is Merrill de Maris.

Witty drawings from a talented man... Pegleg Pete is hilarious in this comic.

The lettering is impressive, rock solid straight-as-an-arrow and close to flawless.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L