superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonHolliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "GENERAL DESTRUCTION!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 03:47:21 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Batman and Superman meet the JSA  (Read 14696 times)
Great Rao
Administrator
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #16 on: December 13, 2006, 08:20:15 PM »

you have to embrace the madness sometimes to enjoy these old comics, if you only like comics which are logical, then you will never like them.

I don't think it's madness - it's just that these comics were written for kids.  A kid back then probably wouldn't have noticed any of this, but just found it exciting that while the JSA didn't know that Bruce Wayne was Batman, he knew it and was in on the gag along with Bruce.  That's what makes the story fun.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2006, 08:27:59 PM by Great Rao » Logged

"The bottom line involves choices.  Neither gods nor humans have ever stood calmly in a minefield forever.  Good or evil, they are bound to choose.  And when they do, you will see the truth of all that motivates us.  As a thinking being, you have the obligation to choose.  If the fate of all mankind were in your hands, what would your decision be?  As a writer and an artist, I've drawn my answer."   - Jack Kirby
Super Monkey
Super
League of Supermen

« Reply #17 on: December 14, 2006, 12:50:31 AM »

you have to embrace the madness sometimes to enjoy these old comics, if you only like comics which are logical, then you will never like them.

I don't think it's madness - it's just that these comics were written for kids.  A kid back then probably wouldn't have noticed any of this, but just found it exciting that while the JSA didn't know that Bruce Wayne was Batman, he knew it and was in on the gag along with Bruce.  That's what makes the story fun.

It's a figure of speech... Cheesy

"I loved Super-Monkey; always wanted to do something with him but it never happened."
- Elliot S! Maggin
Great Rao
Administrator
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #18 on: December 14, 2006, 05:29:09 AM »

I know, but some people need these things explained to them.

"The bottom line involves choices.  Neither gods nor humans have ever stood calmly in a minefield forever.  Good or evil, they are bound to choose.  And when they do, you will see the truth of all that motivates us.  As a thinking being, you have the obligation to choose.  If the fate of all mankind were in your hands, what would your decision be?  As a writer and an artist, I've drawn my answer."   - Jack Kirby
Super Monkey
Super
League of Supermen

« Reply #19 on: December 14, 2006, 10:49:17 AM »

sorry Tongue

"I loved Super-Monkey; always wanted to do something with him but it never happened."
- Elliot S! Maggin
jamespup
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #20 on: December 17, 2006, 09:16:25 PM »

I thought it was funnier how popular the personal column is, all the superheroes read it !
Gernot
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #21 on: December 30, 2006, 11:13:42 AM »

I've always wondered if Superman and Batman would've been able to SAVE All-Star Comics?  If they were looking for high-profile heroes, they could've gone with these two, considering Batman had just come out of his second serial, Superman had come out of a successful second serial, still had a radio show, and both heroes were still in the comic strips!  Superman was also about to hit the movie screens with "Superman And The Mole Men" and about to hit the small screen with Adventures Of Superman

I wonder why they didn't use these two heroes more? 

MichaelBailey
Superman Emergency Squad

This Ain't No Sippin' Tea

« Reply #22 on: December 30, 2006, 06:06:10 PM »

I've always wondered if Superman and Batman would've been able to SAVE All-Star Comics?  If they were looking for high-profile heroes, they could've gone with these two, considering Batman had just come out of his second serial, Superman had come out of a successful second serial, still had a radio show, and both heroes were still in the comic strips!  Superman was also about to hit the movie screens with "Superman And The Mole Men" and about to hit the small screen with Adventures Of Superman

I wonder why they didn't use these two heroes more? 

There is a theory that All-Star Comics and the Justice Society was a platform to spotlight heroes that didn't have their own titles.  By that time Superman and Batman had their own titles and soon after the formation of the Justice Society both Green Lantern and the Flash got their own series and became honaory members.  The only real exception to this rule was Wonder Woman, though this is why she was only the secretary and not a full member.

BTW- the JSA was also the first company crossover as some members of the JSA were part of DC (or National as it was known at the time) and others were part of All-American Comics.  This led to a rather loopy method of heroes becoming members, especially when All-American and National split.  If you want some really good info on this I recommend picking up both volumes of the All-Star Companion edited by Roy Thomas and published by TwoMorrows publishing.

"I now own well over 13,000 comic books.  Most people would call this a hobby.  I prefer to call it was it actually is; a hopeless addiction." -MRB
Gernot
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #23 on: December 31, 2006, 01:10:01 AM »

Yeah, I knew pretty much of that, Michael, but I was talking about when they'd decided to cancel the book.  I'm wondering if Superman and Batman's FULL-TIME inclusion could've saved the book? 

Flash and Green Lantern had had their own books when they came back to the team.  Then, too, heroes like Aquaman, Green Arrow, Vigilante, Congo Bill, and Robotman only had one eight-page strip in Action and Adventure Comics.  If THEY'D been included, too (perhaps substituting for other heroes), might that not have helped the book?  Smiley

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L