superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonHolliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "GENERAL DESTRUCTION!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 07:44:16 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Superman and the Secret Planet completed  (Read 9351 times)
Great Rao
Administrator
Council of Wisdom

« on: December 13, 2006, 07:55:38 PM »

Randy Garrett's adaptation of "Superman and the Secret Planet" was recently completed.  All 42 pages are online and individually accessible at

http://jimnolt.com/

The story is introduced and begins at http://jimnolt.com/sp-intro.htm

"The bottom line involves choices.  Neither gods nor humans have ever stood calmly in a minefield forever.  Good or evil, they are bound to choose.  And when they do, you will see the truth of all that motivates us.  As a thinking being, you have the obligation to choose.  If the fate of all mankind were in your hands, what would your decision be?  As a writer and an artist, I've drawn my answer."   - Jack Kirby
Klar Ken T5477
Council of Wisdom

Metropolis Prime, NYC, NY USA

« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2006, 04:19:30 PM »

Ahhhh............Smiley
Aldous
Superman Squad

Downunder

« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2006, 06:10:02 AM »

Randy says in his introduction that Curt Swan "was greatly underappreciated by the industry that used up his wonderful talent".

Is that really true? (I'm not necessarily disagreeing with Randy.) On the face of it, I think he's right. But hang on... Whenever someone talks about "the industry," I'm afraid a very important part of the business is left out by implication, and that is the customer. We are the customers, and if you ask the customers (who are, I'm told, always right), Curt Swan is one of the most appreciated comic book artists in history.
nightwing
Defender of Kandor
Council of Wisdom

Semper Vigilans

« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2006, 01:20:09 PM »

We are the customers, and if you ask the customers (who are, I'm told, always right), Curt Swan is one of the most appreciated comic book artists in history.

I don't know about that.

Sure, those of us who love Curt love him intensely, but in terms of sheer numbers, how many of us are there?  Is there a "Curt Swan Collector" magazine out there to compete with the Kirby Collector?  Do Curt's original pages fetch anywhere near the figures of a Neal Adams or Jim Lee page?  When you consider Curt's contributions, he really is underappreciated.

I don't think it's so much that Curt doesn't get his props as an artist, I think it's just that his talent is totally taken for granted.  Consider: There's so darn much of his work that it doesn't have the appeal of rarity that Adams' or Steranko's does.  It's in the style of classic illustration, and thus not as flashy or idiosyncratic as Ditko or Kirby.  It was done for the supposedly staid DC so it doesn't have the air of boldness or innovation people associate with early Marvel.  Few people would dare suggest that Curt wasn't a great artist, but he was not a ground-breaking artist and he worked in a time where people were breaking ground all the time.  Plus he'd been around for so long everyone just figured he'd always be there, so instead they focused on the "next big thing," whomever that might have been that month. And then, guess what? One day he wasn't around anymore and it was too late to give him his day in the sun.

I remember reading articles in the 80s where creators like George Perez would heap endless praise on Curt Swan, but I wasn't hearing it from fans.  And when you see a guy like Todd McFarlane (whose talent is limited at best) making gazillions of dollars, or a guy like Alex Ross coming from nowhere and getting books written about him overnight, you have to readjust your notions of what is an isn't a "fair" amount of attention.  By those standards, Swan didn't get nearly the appreciation he deserved.

« Last Edit: December 15, 2006, 01:22:22 PM by nightwing » Logged

This looks like a job for...
Super Monkey
Super
League of Supermen

« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2006, 02:42:03 AM »

Hurray!

Amazing comic!

It's perfect!

"I loved Super-Monkey; always wanted to do something with him but it never happened."
- Elliot S! Maggin
dto
Action Ace

« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2006, 01:14:14 AM »

Absolutely amazing work!  All it needs is a faux cover page (what price would a 42-page comic be back then?), and a listing of the cameo roles and which episode that particular actor/actress first appeared.

DTO
Super Monkey
Super
League of Supermen

« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2006, 02:07:33 AM »

also note the cameo on the final page Smiley

"I loved Super-Monkey; always wanted to do something with him but it never happened."
- Elliot S! Maggin
MatterEaterLad
Council of Wisdom

Silver Age Surfer

« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2006, 02:53:40 AM »

LOL, a reference to Superman's TV splitting ability and a super simian?  Too much... Wink
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L