superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonHolliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "THE SPECIAL REPORT!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 03:24:00 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Superman and the Secret Planet completed  (Read 9293 times)
TELLE
Supermanica Council
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2006, 02:57:59 AM »

Do Curt's original pages fetch anywhere near the figures of a Neal Adams or Jim Lee page? 

No, thank Rao!  I wouldn't own one if they did (the Kirby I own was purchased back in the mid-80s but my Swan was bought only 5 or 6 years ago, long after Kirby pages had become too rich for my meagre resources).

Besides Perez, Dave Sim is another artist who has studied Swan and praised his talent.  Any others?

It does seem that even older fans tend to slight Swan for the reasons you mention --but I wouldn't be surprised if he showed up in many fans' Silver Age top 20 artists, for instance.  Along with Dan DeCarlo and Kirby, I consider Swan among my "Holy Trinity" of 1960s mainstream cartoonists.  There are many many others I love, of course, but those 3 sum up the decade for me.

Everything you ever wanted to
know about the classic Superman:
Supermanica
The Encyclopedia of Supermanic Biography!
(temporarily offline)
Aldous
Superman Squad

Downunder

« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2006, 05:20:34 AM »

We are the customers, and if you ask the customers (who are, I'm told, always right), Curt Swan is one of the most appreciated comic book artists in history.

I don't know about that.

Neither do I now.

Too bad.
Super Monkey
Super
League of Supermen

« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2006, 09:13:52 PM »

Not by artists but by perhaps today's fans.

As quoted by J. David Spurlock in the book by Eddy Zeno titled: “Curt Swan: A Life in Comics”.

“To me, Curt Swan was the essential Superman Artist. There was something about Curt Swan’s Superman that was exactly right.” - Alan Moore

“I think of him as having been a potential illustrator on a par with almost any of your top men of that day”.- Murphy Anderson

“ I was privileged to know him as a man and artist! He had no peers in either category!”-Carmine Infantino

“ He was a terrific artist and a terrific storyteller. His work gave a feeling of realism...reading one of the stories that Curt illustrated, one would get the feeling that this actually happened. Which I think is what every comic book artist should be trying to do”.- Joe Kubert

The art of Curt Swan inspired icons of the Pop-Art movement in addition to legions of comics readers. An example would be Andy Warhol’s million dollar prints based on Swan’s “Man of Steel” The list of “Who is Who” in the comic book world agree...Curt Swan will always be considered as one of the best and most talented people this industry has ever seen.

http://cgi.ebay.com/1950s-3-D-0rig-Curt-Swan-Superman-Comic-Art-Complete_W0QQitemZ200061221114QQihZ010QQcategoryZ1532QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

"I loved Super-Monkey; always wanted to do something with him but it never happened."
- Elliot S! Maggin
Aldous
Superman Squad

Downunder

« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2006, 04:30:21 AM »

As quoted by J. David Spurlock in the book by Eddy Zeno titled: “Curt Swan: A Life in Comics”.

“To me, Curt Swan was the essential Superman Artist. There was something about Curt Swan’s Superman that was exactly right.” - Alan Moore

“I think of him as having been a potential illustrator on a par with almost any of your top men of that day”.- Murphy Anderson

“ I was privileged to know him as a man and artist! He had no peers in either category!”-Carmine Infantino

“ He was a terrific artist and a terrific storyteller. His work gave a feeling of realism...reading one of the stories that Curt illustrated, one would get the feeling that this actually happened. Which I think is what every comic book artist should be trying to do”.- Joe Kubert

The art of Curt Swan inspired icons of the Pop-Art movement in addition to legions of comics readers. An example would be Andy Warhol’s million dollar prints based on Swan’s “Man of Steel” The list of “Who is Who” in the comic book world agree...Curt Swan will always be considered as one of the best and most talented people this industry has ever seen.

http://cgi.ebay.com/1950s-3-D-0rig-Curt-Swan-Superman-Comic-Art-Complete_W0QQitemZ200061221114QQihZ010QQcategoryZ1532QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Wonderful quotes, Super Monkey. Dig what Carmine said!
Michel Weisnor
Action Ace

« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2006, 04:47:13 AM »

Fantastic quotes...

Yikes! 8000 smackers...come on Super Monkey, that's pocket change, right?  Wink

"Truth, Tolerance, and Justice"
Uncle Mxy
Superman Squad

« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2006, 01:35:24 AM »

I love the reference to how it was Krypton's atmosphere was what depowered Superman, not a red sun or high gravity.

ShinDangaioh
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2006, 08:15:34 AM »

also note the cameo on the final page Smiley

Lex Luthor?

Suzie?

Super Moneky?

All three are there.  That person with the white hair and mustache also looks famliar and the woman looks like the Silver Age Lois Lane
Great Rao
Administrator
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #15 on: December 29, 2006, 03:03:18 PM »

Lex Luthor?

One of the things about artwork is that it's always open to interpretation, but to me that looked like Jim Nolt.

"The bottom line involves choices.  Neither gods nor humans have ever stood calmly in a minefield forever.  Good or evil, they are bound to choose.  And when they do, you will see the truth of all that motivates us.  As a thinking being, you have the obligation to choose.  If the fate of all mankind were in your hands, what would your decision be?  As a writer and an artist, I've drawn my answer."   - Jack Kirby
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L