superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonHolliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "IT'S REAL!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 06:13:42 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Modernizing Archie  (Read 9949 times)
Michel Weisnor
Action Ace

« on: December 17, 2006, 04:07:58 AM »

http://forum.newsarama.com/showthread.php?t=94511

http://www2.archiecomics.com/index.html

"Truth, Tolerance, and Justice"
Super Monkey
Super
League of Supermen

« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2006, 04:13:08 PM »

the art looks fair enough, until you realize what it is suppose to be!

This reminds of that Bugs Bunny nonsense.

I was never a fan, so it's not that important for me, but I get the feeling that this test will not last very long as people stop buying the books.

"I loved Super-Monkey; always wanted to do something with him but it never happened."
- Elliot S! Maggin
JulianPerez
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2006, 10:00:35 PM »

It's an intriguing experiment. I never thought the "style" as such was a big selling point for Archie anyway.

Anyway, this doesn't change the immutable fact that real men prefer VeronicaWink

"Wait, folks...in a startling new development, Black Goliath has ripped Stilt-Man's leg off, and appears to be beating him with it!"
       - Reporter, Champions #15 (1978)
davidelliott
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2006, 07:57:12 AM »

Anyway, this doesn't change the immutable fact that real men prefer VeronicaWink

I BEG TO DIFFER!!

Betty's more down to earth..

Anyway, BIG MISTAKE!  Archie needs that tic tac toe haircut.  This isn't Archie and the gang... it's blasphemy!

Where's Captain Pureheart when you need him?
jamespup
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2007, 05:43:28 PM »

Hmmm, now B & V look like DIFFERENT GIRLS, rather than exactly the same but with different hair-color.
nightwing
Defender of Kandor
Council of Wisdom

Semper Vigilans

« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2007, 07:26:43 PM »

Hmmm, now B & V look like DIFFERENT GIRLS, rather than exactly the same but with different hair-color.

Yes, but neither one is attractive.

The key to going "realistic" is hiring an artist who can draw.   Given the dearth of those (as evidenced by this image), this is not such a brilliant plan.  Archie is the last holdover of a tradition where a stable of artists followed a "house style" closely, like Fawcett artists followed Beck's Captain Marvel model in the old days.  And it's much easier for multiple artists to stick to a "look" that's highly stylized than one that's "realistic".  Not to take anything away from the late Dan De Carlo, but I think it'd be easier to ape his style than, say, that of Neal Adams or Joe Kubert.

It's funny that even as superhero artists are increasingly copping out of learning anatomy by going all "cartoony," here's a strip that's been cartoony for 60 years deciding to get more "realistic."

This looks like a job for...
Kuuga
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2007, 07:44:50 PM »

I gotta agree about Veronica. But I've always been partial to dark haired women. Growing up it was Lois, Wonder Woman, Zatanna, and Isis. Now am I grown up and engaged to a girl with long dark hair.  Wink

On the style change for Archie. I enjoy realistic artstyles and cartoony artstyles and manga/anime. What turns me off is heavily shadowed, really jagged shaped and scratchy artstyles along the lines of a Lenil Yu. (Which I still say that even more than DC's non-commitment, hurt BR's sales.)

For Archie I think this style may be almost too realistic. I think they needed more of a middle ground. Someone like a Mike Weringo. Not that I would Ringo to stop drawing superhero stuff.

CHO-HENSHIN! KAMEN RAIDA, KUUGA!
TELLE
Supermanica Council
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2007, 07:51:50 PM »

Ugly and wrong-headed.  Not against change but maybe more manga was the way to go?  Or continue with de-evolution of the DeCarlo style --still clunky and dated, but less obviously.  Hard to say what Archie should do --amazing that they still exist.

(In comics, I mainly "collect" 2 things: Silver and Bronze Age Superman Family and Silver and Bronze Age Archie comics --not sure which are better.)

Everything you ever wanted to
know about the classic Superman:
Supermanica
The Encyclopedia of Supermanic Biography!
(temporarily offline)
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L