superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonHolliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "IT'S REAL!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 09:34:10 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Execution of Saddam Hussein  (Read 4368 times)
Aldous
Superman Squad

Downunder

« on: December 31, 2006, 08:17:45 PM »

The big news of the moment must surely be Saddam being hanged.

I wonder if it has brought closure, of a type, for anyone. Maybe to the people who were taunting him as he stood on the gallows. The sorry business seemed to have an amateurish feel about it. I don't know if that makes it all better or worse.

Our mainstream TV news did show the footage right up till the moment before he was killed.

Either his faith in his god is very strong, or he is a very tough man -- probably both -- because he was composed and still defiant, as we all saw.
Great Rao
Administrator
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2006, 11:26:11 PM »

I think the execution did a good job of fostering more chaos.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/6220833.stm

"The bottom line involves choices.  Neither gods nor humans have ever stood calmly in a minefield forever.  Good or evil, they are bound to choose.  And when they do, you will see the truth of all that motivates us.  As a thinking being, you have the obligation to choose.  If the fate of all mankind were in your hands, what would your decision be?  As a writer and an artist, I've drawn my answer."   - Jack Kirby
Sword of Superman
Superman Family

« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2007, 02:21:42 AM »

Either his faith in his god is very strong, or he is a very tough man -- probably both -- because he was composed and still defiant, as we all saw.

Or maybe crazy and obsessed as it was for all his life.

"Since we didn't want to use our science on your world, Shayera and I decided we would fight Earth-crime with Earth-weapons. She always found it amusing that I felt so comfortable with them" - Katar Hol
Permanus
Superman Squad

« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2007, 10:57:01 AM »

Well, I'm a knee-jerk opponent of capital punishment, so of course I got no closure out of this - but then, there was never anything for me to close in the first place: of course I disliked Saddam Hussein as much as most people (though not as much as the people who suffered directly from his actions), but the world is full of horrible people and I don't take it personally. I don't need closure.

I don't think his execution will bring peace to Iraq - in fact, it will add a few car bombs; moreover, the hasty execution cut short the trial, so several crimes against humanity will remain untried. Even supporters of the death penalty should admit that there is no closure to be had here. This was vengeance for a few people, that's all.

Between the revolution and the firing-squad, there is always time for a glass of champagne.
Uncle Mxy
Superman Squad

« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2007, 03:55:46 PM »

Just what the world needs...  another martyr.

http://riverbendblog.blogspot.com/ has interesting insights, as usual.

TELLE
Supermanica Council
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2007, 03:51:55 AM »

Largely agree with Permanus, not that I have a well-defined moral sense of why "Thou Shalt Not Kill" is a commandment we should struggle to obey.  Nor do I have an opinion on why human life should be more valued than other forms of life (although I try to imagine that my own life has some dignity, I often get the feeling that I'm kidding myself).  That being said, the execution reflects badly on everyone involved and seems to have helped nobody.  I wonder if the smuggled cellular phone video will create even more problems?

Everything you ever wanted to
know about the classic Superman:
Supermanica
The Encyclopedia of Supermanic Biography!
(temporarily offline)
nightwing
Defender of Kandor
Council of Wisdom

Semper Vigilans

« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2007, 03:41:07 PM »

I wonder if the smuggled cellular phone video will create even more problems?

Apparently so...

http://www.cnn.com/2007/WORLD/meast/01/03/saddam.execution/index.html

I wondered the same thing about the Michael Richards video.  As soon as the furor dies down over his nasty comments, I think he should sue the guy who used a camera phone to record his act.  Surely that's verboten at a concert of any kind?  Sue him, Mike, it might be your last chance to make money this decade!

As for Saddam, it's hard to work up too much indignation over what amounts to putting down a mad dog.  But on the other hand, the way the whole thing was handled -- trial and execution alike -- had a Dark Ages feel to it that doesn't do much to legitimize the new government.  Basically Iraq was a brutish Thug-ocracy when we got there, isn't much better now and will be a smoking hole in the ground about a week after we leave.

And whoever shot that shaky video has no future as a filmmaker.    Tongue

This looks like a job for...
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L