superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonHolliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "THE SPECIAL REPORT!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 04:23:23 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: In defense of the Super-Marriage  (Read 19764 times)
Super Monkey
Super
League of Supermen

« Reply #24 on: January 15, 2007, 03:56:00 AM »

So does this mean The DaVinci Code was just a reboot of the new testament?

no just a reboot of Holy Blood, Holy Grail 

"I loved Super-Monkey; always wanted to do something with him but it never happened."
- Elliot S! Maggin
Great Rao
Administrator
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #25 on: January 16, 2007, 03:32:29 AM »

Holy Blood, Holy Grail 

Is that the sequel to Holy Terror, Batman!?

"The bottom line involves choices.  Neither gods nor humans have ever stood calmly in a minefield forever.  Good or evil, they are bound to choose.  And when they do, you will see the truth of all that motivates us.  As a thinking being, you have the obligation to choose.  If the fate of all mankind were in your hands, what would your decision be?  As a writer and an artist, I've drawn my answer."   - Jack Kirby
jamespup
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #26 on: January 18, 2007, 03:01:59 AM »

The one where the Joker steals the Axe of the Apostles and threatens to smite Robin?
Aldous
Superman Squad

Downunder

« Reply #27 on: January 18, 2007, 05:05:46 AM »

So does this mean The DaVinci Code was just a reboot of the new testament?

no just a reboot of Holy Blood, Holy Grail 

OK, fine. Then Superman is a reboot of "Gladiator" with a little pulp SF and The Phantom thrown in.
Criadoman
Superman Family

« Reply #28 on: February 06, 2007, 04:20:07 AM »

I'm a bit of two worlds on Superman's marriage.

To begin, I've always considered there is something intrinsically wrong with his pursuing a relationship with Lois.  The reason is simply that she is a mortal.  Superman, done right for me, is very Maggin-istic.  I am with the god-like Superman.  So, from that perspective, when I consider their relationship, it looks more like the Zeus' lust thing, than an honest relationship.

Maybe, this is the little mythical aspect of the relationship that causes it to work on many levels.

For me, Wonder Woman, etc. are all much more appropriate mates to one who could be really a father to a new pantheon on Earth.

But, if we go the route of the humanized Kryptonian - then sure, Lois has got many of the cherished qualities that Clark would look for in a mate, the relationship makes sense.

Ultimately it is really just how good the writer is with the subject matter - if he thinks it's in his way, then it will probably be so in his writing.  If he likes it, it will be useful in the story.  If the writer shows good insight into the relationship then I'll enjoy it.  If he's interested in making Lois jelous - then just end the relationship and let him go after someone else.  I just think life would be more fulfilling for the character if he could go about his duties with his mate than without.

"If I print "She was stark naked"--& then proceeded to describe her person in detail, what critic would not howl?--but the artist does this & all ages gather around & look & talk & point." - Mark Twain
Uncle Mxy
Superman Squad

« Reply #29 on: February 07, 2007, 04:55:46 PM »

I like Alan Moore's bit where Superman and WW don't get together because it'd be "too predictable".  If I were gonna go for a non-obvious heroic choice for Superman to marry, it'd be Mary Marvel.  He'd be able to graduate from LL to MM.
Permanus
Superman Squad

« Reply #30 on: February 07, 2007, 09:59:22 PM »

If I were gonna go for a non-obvious heroic choice for Superman to marry, it'd be Mary Marvel.  He'd be able to graduate from LL to MM.

You know, Uncle Mxy, you have a real talent for this sort of thing. I can't wait to see the Elseworlds version, in which their offspring has all of Superman's powers, but only when it says the magic word "Krypton!"

Between the revolution and the firing-squad, there is always time for a glass of champagne.
Super Monkey
Super
League of Supermen

« Reply #31 on: February 07, 2007, 11:27:31 PM »

If I were gonna go for a non-obvious heroic choice for Superman to marry, it'd be Mary Marvel.  He'd be able to graduate from LL to MM.

You know, Uncle Mxy, you have a real talent for this sort of thing. I can't wait to see the Elseworlds version, in which their offspring has all of Superman's powers, but only when it says the magic word "Krypton!"

Ok, I'll bite, what would Krypton stand for?

"I loved Super-Monkey; always wanted to do something with him but it never happened."
- Elliot S! Maggin
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L