superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonA Tale of the Golden Age SupermanHolliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "IT'S REAL!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 06:05:29 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Is it just me, or has the JLA just never...worked?  (Read 15975 times)
Kuuga
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #24 on: January 13, 2007, 01:45:35 AM »

Yeah, when I say second stringer I'm guess I am mainly thinking of League incarnations that were very pointedly non-marquee names. Now that's not to say you can't have fun with those characters, I just don't like having a Justice League team where that's all you get. So you can prolly tell I'm not big on the Detroit era. Tongue

Setting up the book JLU style would give ya the best of all IMO. Plus I liked that there was usually at least one Big 7 person present which made for some interesting contrast. I hope by my evoking the animated series stuff so much I'm not coming across as saying it's the end all/be all. Those shows have some of their own problems to. But I think they made some really good decisions more often than not especially when compared to roads the comics have gone down which just baffle me.

CHO-HENSHIN! KAMEN RAIDA, KUUGA!
FIRESTORM
Superman Fan

FIRESTORM- THE NUCLEAR MAN!

« Reply #25 on: September 27, 2007, 05:02:12 PM »

(Okay, sure, there's Firestorm, whom Telle called his least favorite character ever and I can't help but agree. Another "triumph" for Gerry Conway.)

That's too bad! I bet we could all have been friends! Sure I have my personality quirks but doesn't everybody?

Uncle Mxy
Superman Squad

« Reply #26 on: September 27, 2007, 06:46:45 PM »

I just don't like having a Justice League team where that's all you get. So you can prolly tell I'm not big on the Detroit era. Tongue
Hey, I live in the Detroit area and didn't care for it much at all. 

The problem is that trying to keep continuity between the JLA and the characters who have their own books is hard stuff.  Superman's initial JLA adventures were almost in a separate reality from what happened in his own books.  Add Batman, GL, Flash, etc. and it just gets nasty. 

Setting up the book JLU style would give ya the best of all IMO. Plus I liked that there was usually at least one Big 7 person present which made for some interesting contrast. I hope by my evoking the animated series stuff so much I'm not coming across as saying it's the end all/be all. Those shows have some of their own problems to. But I think they made some really good decisions more often than not especially when compared to roads the comics have gone down which just baffle me.

The DCAU works because there's one big point of control.  You don't have S:TAS and B:TAS events happening at the same time that crash with each other.  It took them awhile to get to JLU, and there were stumbling blocks along the way.  I'm glad to see that McDuffie appears to be going in that direction. 
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L