superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonHolliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "IT'S REAL!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 08:00:28 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Why Superman II: The Donner Cut is the prequel to Superman Returns  (Read 13399 times)
Uncle Mxy
Superman Squad

« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2007, 01:16:34 PM »

Depending on how far back Superman turned back time, maybe they didn't have a lot on Luthor without Superman in I or in Donner's II, especially if Teschmacher cleaned up the underground lair before Superman got around to showing the cops.  And, Luthor could make the case that he was under duress by the Phantom Zone criminals in Lester's II, with only a mindwiped Lois to contradict.  Of course, the U.S. government was portrayed as incompetent, but that's not much of a stretch.  Heck, we have congressmen who spout off about Islamic extremists being the bad guys who approved the posting of "how to make a nuclear bomb in Arabic" on a government website and got re-elected.  (Yeah, we need a Superman now more than ever.  Smiley )
davidelliott
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #17 on: April 13, 2007, 11:42:45 PM »

Thinking about it...

The Donner Cut comes first... Superman turns back time (as we saw) and the PZ criminals are back in the PZ.  Then as a result of that, events start all over again (with some differences) resulting in the Lester version...

So there... both versions happened!
Super Monkey
Super
League of Supermen

« Reply #18 on: April 13, 2007, 11:53:57 PM »

I blame it on a Superboy-Prime punch Wink

"I loved Super-Monkey; always wanted to do something with him but it never happened."
- Elliot S! Maggin
DoctorZero
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #19 on: April 22, 2007, 12:13:01 AM »

Superman Returns was a mess in a number of ways, but I can see it being more of a sequel to the Donner cut of Superman II than anything else.

maggiethecat
Superman Fan

« Reply #20 on: May 16, 2007, 09:07:13 PM »

"Then there's that moment where he goes to use his inhaler and he doesn't need to.  Is this because using his powers has suddenly "cured" his asthma, or because the whole "asthma" thing was just part of his secret ID, and now he figures what's the point? 

My wife seemed to think that Kryptonite had made Jason more powerful. Remember, Lex held some up to his face and he seemed unaffected. Then, when he grew a giant kryptonite island, Jason suddenly was able to throw pianos and use telescopic vision. Maybe an unlikely scenario, but interesting."

First let me say that my Superman mania has been in hybernation most of my adult life, just having awakened after seeing Superman Returns a few weeks ago (although I swore to myself I wouldn't, so as not to taint my childhood memories... and the thought of someone other than Reeves in the suit broke my heart... but I was positively surprised)

I totally agree with you and your wife concerning Jason and the Kryptonite!

The film begins where Superman 2 left off (Lester or Donner...  I do prefer the Donner!) In that movie, we see Clark (who has given up his superhuman powers) and Lois in bed in the Fortress of Solitude cuddle, but I think we all know what just happened. However, towards the end of the movie, we see Lois outside of the chamber, when Superman (with regained powers) switches the process to render the Kryptonian criminals mortal. This should cause any superhuman genes from his possible off-spring carried by Lois completely benign… or

Perhaps the "super gene" is actually recessive that is then actually activated through the kryptonite waved in his face by Lex five years later.  This could be possible since he is "a half breed"  or because the gene was made recessive by the radiation in part one. He was a sickly kid who endured series of allergy shots that wouldn't even be possible for Superman. (Remember when they try to give him an IV in Superman Returns?) It is obvious his powers were latent and then somehow activated.

I also prefer the thought that Lois and Superman had one last "night" before he left.  This explains why Lois so SO UPSET!!  She probably didn't know she was pregnant, but was out drowning her sorrows one night when she met that all to nice of a guy, Richard.  One thing lead to another and next thing you know she misses her period.  She figures she might as well stay with Mr. Nice, since Mr. Right has shagged and left her. She may have thought it could be Superman's child until all of the allergies etc. made themselves know.  She clearly thought the child is Richards...

That is my humble opinion.  I am glad that I finally found a place to voice it (I live in Germany know, and Superman is really an "American" obscession.)

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L