superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonHolliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "GENERAL DESTRUCTION!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 10:08:40 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New superman action figures  (Read 6458 times)
Niteowl
Jimmy Olsen Fan Club

« on: January 09, 2007, 02:04:32 PM »

Ok am I dumb or does Superman ever say up up and away like the new superman action figure does? I can't imagine him saying that, any know if he said this or not???
Gangbuster
Superman Squad

« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2007, 04:20:44 PM »

Ok am I dumb or does Superman ever say up up and away like the new superman action figure does? I can't imagine him saying that, any know if he said this or not???

In the radio show he did. That's because you couldn't actually see him taking off...it was a special effect of the imagination.

"Trying to capture my wife, eh? That makes me SUPER-MAD!"

-"Superman", 1960

Super Monkey
Super
League of Supermen

« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2007, 11:34:01 PM »

He said it all the time. It 1st came from the radio show and later it was also used in the comics and cartoons.

"I loved Super-Monkey; always wanted to do something with him but it never happened."
- Elliot S! Maggin
jamespup
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2007, 12:36:23 AM »

I had never heard the radio show until I was an adult......I'm thinking that my father must have taught me the phrase.....because I can't recall seeing it in a comic book or hearing it on the TV show....but when I was a child and The 5th Dimension had a hit with "My Beautiful Balloon" which has "up, up and away" featured prominently in the lyrics, I recall asking about the Superman connection because of that line, and also because I thought the group was from the same place as Mxyzptlk
Super Monkey
Super
League of Supermen

« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2007, 12:51:12 AM »

if you read through all of the comics here: http://superman.nu/tales/1930s.php it pops up plenty of times.

"I loved Super-Monkey; always wanted to do something with him but it never happened."
- Elliot S! Maggin
jamespup
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2007, 02:07:47 AM »

I have it on good authority that the phrase WAS used in the mid-60's Superman Saturday morning cartoon.

Which might explain how my wife, who didn't read comics (but who most likely did see the cartoon) immediately answered "Up up and away" when I asked what does Superman say when he's ready to fly.

Interestingly, I asked about 20 people of varying ages (20 - 60) and ALL instantly answered "Up up and away"

nightwing
Defender of Kandor
Council of Wisdom

Semper Vigilans

« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2007, 01:17:35 PM »

I don't have any of the 60s cartoons on hand, but I do know Superman was voiced by Bud Collyer, who'd done the same job for years on radio...so maybe it was just a hallmark of his portrayal, like the Fonz saying "Aaaaaay!"

Plus, the animation was so crummy in those cartoons you probably needed Superman to tell you he was flying just so you'd know.  Cheesy

This looks like a job for...
Uncle Mxy
Superman Squad

« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2007, 12:06:32 AM »

I have it on good authority that the phrase WAS used in the mid-60's Superman Saturday morning cartoon.
Danny Dark also used it in the Superfriends cartoons

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L