superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonHolliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "IT'S REAL!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 07:44:55 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Whatever happened to Lex Luthor's Lair?  (Read 4263 times)
Michel Weisnor
Action Ace

« on: January 11, 2007, 01:22:48 AM »

It struck me, why don't villains have cool hideouts or headquarters, anymore? In the modern era, Lex has been shown in a lab working on gadgets but I don't believe the complete layouts been devulged. On this website, I read "the Death of Superman". We find, Lex owned an abandoned museum where he concocted nefarious schemes. While Superman used a key, Lex shakes hands with a statue of Julius Caesar! So, why don't baddies get sweet digs today?   

"Truth, Tolerance, and Justice"
nightwing
Defender of Kandor
Council of Wisdom

Semper Vigilans

« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2007, 01:25:40 PM »

Well, the heroes don't really get "sweet digs" any more either, do they?  The Fortress has survived, but in the 90s it had a totally different vibe; it was a creepy place designed to remind us of how awful Krypton was.  I didn't get the impression Superman was overly fond of it, or that he spent much time there.  Similarly, I always saw the JLA watchtower as ominous more than "cool."  Green Arrow lost his cave a long time ago (there's a story idea...whatever happened to the Arrow Cave?) and the other big guns never really had much of an HQ.  Over at Marvel, there's Avengers Mansion and Xavier's school, two fancy houses...big whoop.

The only hero HQ that's proven immortal is the Bat-Cave, really.

I miss Luthor's lairs, too.  One of my favorite Legion stories is the one where the LSH ends up on the run from the authorities and sets up operations in one of Luthor's forgotten lairs underneath 30th Century Metropolis.

Also, who else here remembers the Joker's Ha-Hacienda and his Ho-Ho-Home on Wheels?  Cheesy

This looks like a job for...
Gangbuster
Superman Squad

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2007, 02:39:01 PM »

For my money, the Legion of Doom's Swamp Headquarters is still the best one. Did any of you ever read the "Alfred Hitchcock and the Three Investigators" stories? I thought their hideout was pretty cool too...a wired trailer hidden behind a wall of junk cars, with a phone that could dial Alfred Hitchcock. I wanted one of those as a kid.

"Trying to capture my wife, eh? That makes me SUPER-MAD!"

-"Superman", 1960

Michel Weisnor
Action Ace

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2007, 06:27:20 PM »

Well, the heroes don't really get "sweet digs" any more either, do they?  The Fortress has survived, but in the 90s it had a totally different vibe; it was a creepy place designed to remind us of how awful Krypton was.  I didn't get the impression Superman was overly fond of it, or that he spent much time there.  Similarly, I always saw the JLA watchtower as ominous more than "cool."  Green Arrow lost his cave a long time ago (there's a story idea...whatever happened to the Arrow Cave?) and the other big guns never really had much of an HQ.  Over at Marvel, there's Avengers Mansion and Xavier's school, two fancy houses...big whoop.

The only hero HQ that's proven immortal is the Bat-Cave, really.

I miss Luthor's lairs, too.  One of my favorite Legion stories is the one where the LSH ends up on the run from the authorities and sets up operations in one of Luthor's forgotten lairs underneath 30th Century Metropolis.

Also, who else here remembers the Joker's Ha-Hacienda and his Ho-Ho-Home on Wheels?  Cheesy

Green Arrow's headquarters returned and subsequently was blowed up (real good) in issue 59? 

With classic elements returning in the pages of Superman and Action Comics, I hope Johns or Busiek find room for Luthor's museum. While Superman's Fortress appears a shiny tribute to a lost world, Luthor's crumbling hideout is a celebration of human achievement from his perspective. I mean, it practically writes itself.  Cheesy 

The Joker's Ha-Hacienda and Ho-Ho-Home? I've got a lot of back issue reading to do!   

"Truth, Tolerance, and Justice"
TELLE
Supermanica Council
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2007, 06:51:00 PM »

The 1970s Secret Society of Supervillains had some sort of hang-out --Sinister Citadel?  And doesn't the Penguin have a nightclub or something?  Iceberg Club?  The Legion of Super-Villains ran a school for villains.  That's all I can think of.  Marvel had more residences but maybe not as many unique ones for villains.  I'm thinking of the Defenders' ranch, Baxter Building/Four Freedoms Plaza, Dr. Strange's Sanctum Sanctorum, etc.

Always liked Dr. Fate's windowless, door-less tower.

It's nice to know that Luthor's Lair shows up in a future Legion story (pre-Crisis, I hope?).  Supermanica has articles on several other lairs.

http://superman.nu/wiki/index.php/Category:Hide-Outs

Everything you ever wanted to
know about the classic Superman:
Supermanica
The Encyclopedia of Supermanic Biography!
(temporarily offline)
Super Monkey
Super
League of Supermen

« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2007, 07:07:35 PM »

For my money, the Legion of Doom's Swamp Headquarters is still the best one.

I agree this was the coolest:

http://www.tvcrazy.net/tvclassics/wallpaper/cartoons/mike/legion-doom.jpg

"I loved Super-Monkey; always wanted to do something with him but it never happened."
- Elliot S! Maggin
TELLE
Supermanica Council
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2007, 08:40:56 PM »

Hands down.

Great sound effects, too.

Who was it here posted the "that's what you think, super jerks" montage from the Superfriends?

Everything you ever wanted to
know about the classic Superman:
Supermanica
The Encyclopedia of Supermanic Biography!
(temporarily offline)
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L