superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonHolliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "IT'S REAL!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 10:06:32 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Showcase Shazam!  (Read 13253 times)
Lee Semmens
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2007, 11:42:59 AM »

As David pointed out, Shazam stories also appeared in World's Finest Comics #253-282, and Adventure Comics Digest #491-492 (the main reason I completed my runs of these issues for this period was for the Shazam stories!).

The tally of pages for World's Finest Comics comes to 316, less covers - although if memory serves me correctly, Captain Marvel (or CM Jr., or Mary) appear on either the front or back cover of a number of issues - the total for Adventure Comics Digest is 22 pages, including the two covers, which do feature CM.

Allowing a minimum of 350 pages from these comics - plus the remaining Shazam comics, and other odds and ends (such as the Superman vs. Shazam! tabloid) gives us ample material for an ostensible Showcase Presents: Shazam! Volume 2, without having to resort to post-Crisis stories.

Personally, I prefer the Shazam stories in World's Finest Comics and Adventure Comics Digest to those in their own comic, generally speaking.
dca5347
Superman Fan

« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2007, 02:59:07 PM »

I loved the Don Newton Captain Marvel Wink
I hated when they reduced those books to digest size  Angry

TELLE
Supermanica Council
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2007, 07:36:44 AM »

I have recently picked up a few 70s Shazam-related comics and love them (many contain Golden Age reprints as well).  E Nelson Bridwell wrote some and Shaffenberger drew some.  What more do you need?

Everything you ever wanted to
know about the classic Superman:
Supermanica
The Encyclopedia of Supermanic Biography!
(temporarily offline)
Criadoman
Superman Family

« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2007, 02:50:57 PM »

Schaffenberger was one of the great unsung artists I think.  His work on Cap was very fitting and appropriate, I loved his Lois Lane.  His work on Superboy was also very appropriate and enjoyable.  I unfortunately never really appreciated his work on Action and Superman though.  My 1st introduction to his Superman work was in Action when a character named Kar-Bak was introduced (who had an alleged allergic reaction to Superman), and the story included Vartox.  I supposed I just enjoyed Swan's art so much I didn't care for Kurt Schaffenberger on the Superman proper books.  Although I'd take Al Pacino easily.

"If I print "She was stark naked"--& then proceeded to describe her person in detail, what critic would not howl?--but the artist does this & all ages gather around & look & talk & point." - Mark Twain
nightwing
Defender of Kandor
Council of Wisdom

Semper Vigilans

« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2007, 03:46:41 PM »

I supposed I just enjoyed Swan's art so much I didn't care for Kurt Schaffenberger on the Superman proper books.  Although I'd take Al Pacino easily.

Yeah, Al Pacino's pencils were okay, but Robert DeNiro's inking was awesome!  Cheesy

This looks like a job for...
TELLE
Supermanica Council
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2007, 11:29:40 AM »

"Are you penciling to me?"

Everything you ever wanted to
know about the classic Superman:
Supermanica
The Encyclopedia of Supermanic Biography!
(temporarily offline)
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L