superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonHolliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "IT'S REAL!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 06:25:19 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Last, Truly Great, Original Super-Hero Ever Created  (Read 19831 times)
Aldous
Superman Squad

Downunder

« Reply #32 on: January 21, 2007, 04:07:38 AM »

Quote from: Sword of Superman
If someone still have a doubt about Wolverine being a superhero please read The Uncanny X-Men annual 11,here everybody can find a full synopsis:

http://www.uncannyxmen.net/db/issues/showquestion.asp?fldauto=2423

I have that comic. A really good one. And it's Logan at his best, part of Uncanny.

It's worth pointing out that the X-Men were people (usually young) being drafted into roles which placed new and frightening demands upon their burgeoning powers.

Logan was the odd man out (and how). Apart from his very earliest appearances while he was still in development, one of his main points of difference was that he was older, seasoned, already an expert in his field (ie. tracking and close combat).

But I'm beginning to realise something:

Quote from: Super Monkey
OK,

So guys are the following comic characters SuperHeroes or something else?

The Hulk
Ghostrider
The Punisher
The Spectre
John Constantine
The Sandman (Neil Gaiman version)
Deadman
Adam Strange
Space Ranger
Adam Warlock
Shang-Chi
Morbius the Living Vampire
Rex the Wonder Dog

Looking at some of these guys, what do they have in common? You don't think they're super-heroes, and you especially don't think Logan's a super-hero. When I look at Wolverine, Hulk, Ghost Rider, Deadman, and Rex, I can't see any characters like the usual Silver Age DC type, ie. six feet tall, muscled, good-looking, clean-shaven... and that's just the women.

No wonder you can't accept Wolvie as a hero. And maybe that's one of the reasons I liked him. Instead of being six feet tall with noble bearing, he's short and stocky with big sideburns; he smokes, he's hairy, he's hardly attractive, and he hits first.

These characters don't fit that DC mould. 
Super Monkey
Super
League of Supermen

« Reply #33 on: January 21, 2007, 04:43:08 AM »

I didn't say I didn't think they weren't heroes, I just made of list of characters that do not fit the Superhero archetype.

"I loved Super-Monkey; always wanted to do something with him but it never happened."
- Elliot S! Maggin
TELLE
Supermanica Council
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #34 on: January 21, 2007, 09:58:38 AM »

OK,

So guys are the following comic characters SuperHeroes or something else?
The Hulk
Ghostrider
The Punisher
The Spectre
John Constantine
The Sandman (Neil Gaiman version)
Deadman
Adam Strange
Space Ranger
Adam Warlock
Shang-Chi
Morbius the Living Vampire
Rex the Wonder Dog

They may not be archetypal superheroes but many of them are or have been superheroes.  Or else their adventures have been expressed using a "superhero comics idiom".  I would say at least The Spectre, Deadman, Adam Strange, and maybe Chang-Chi qualify.

Other terms not discussed yet:
Alan Moore's "science hero"
posthumans
Powers
Wild Cards
novas
ultras

Everything you ever wanted to
know about the classic Superman:
Supermanica
The Encyclopedia of Supermanic Biography!
(temporarily offline)
Aldous
Superman Squad

Downunder

« Reply #35 on: January 22, 2007, 05:47:20 AM »

I didn't say I didn't think they weren't heroes, I just made of list of characters that do not fit the Superhero archetype.

I wonder why you put Rex on the list instead of Krypto. Rex predates Krypto, is smarter, and more heroic.

Again, he doesn't have the cutesy looks.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L