superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonHolliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "THE SPECIAL REPORT!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 04:18:52 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Is the existence of Kandor public knowledge on Earth-1?  (Read 14627 times)
Uncle Mxy
Superman Squad

« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2007, 06:13:29 PM »

Imagine if a powerless Superman had to get into the Fortress to regain his powers, hypothetically because he gave them up to do the nasty with Lois Lane?  The heavy key thing never struck me as making sense.  I liked the "splashy" S:TAS entrance to the Fortress.
Aldous
Superman Squad

Downunder

« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2007, 07:11:16 PM »

The heavy key thing never struck me as making sense.

No, it didn't make sense. I suppose the rationale behind it was Superman making a big, spectacular entrance.
TELLE
Supermanica Council
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2007, 07:19:57 PM »

I have often wondered about these so-called airplane markers.  Why, I wondered, is the one used by Superman the only one I've ever seen or heard of?  And why is it at the North Pole?  How many planes fly over the Pole, anyway?  Wouldn't someone say, how did that get here?  And after 1950, say, why would anyone use one?

I suspect the huge discussion of air markers that took place during WWII was remembered by Superman's writers:

Air Markers
Time Magazine
Monday, Aug. 24, 1936

Flying over unfamiliar U. S. terrain, many a private pilot without directional radio has been reassured, guided or saved from disaster by such terse signs as these, painted in black & orange in 12-ft. letters on the roofs of prominent barns, factories, warehouses, water tanks. Known as "air markers," they are normally visible from 4.000 ft., serve three purposes: 1) to identify the locale; 2) to give the north bearing; 3) to indicate, by a circle, arrow and numeral, the distance and direction of the nearest airport. By last week 58% of the U. S. was air-marked every 15 miles in every direction. Within a few months the entire nation will be thus tagged with a total of 16,000 air markers, almost none of which existed a year ago. Last week the current issue of the National Aeronautic Magazine revealed the name which deserved most credit for this important aeronautical safeguard: Mrs. Phoebe Fairgrave Omlie whom Mrs. Franklin D. Roosevelt once included in a list of the ten most useful women in the U. S.

Plump, brown-eyed, little Mrs. Omlie is 33. In 1918 she was a St. Paul high-school girl who spent every spare moment at the airport, eventually bought a Curtiss JN4D ("Jenny"). A onetime Army officer named Vernon C. Omlie taught her to fly it. Year later, after he had also taught her how to walk wings, make parachute jumps, hang by her teeth or swing from a trapeze on one plane to another in midair, they were married, went barnstorming as "The Flying Omlies." In 1927 Mrs. Omlie won her transport license, first ever granted to a U. S. woman. In 1929-30-31 she walked off with the chief feminine prizes at the National Air Races. Finally, in 1932, after a half-million miles in the air, two serious crackups, she quit active flying, took a desk job with the National Advisory Committee for Aeronautics in Washington.

Last autumn she conceived the air-marking plan. Last week, as she received the first public acknowledgment of its success, she was too sad to appreciate it. Captain Omlie was killed fortnight ago as a passenger in the crash of the Chicago & Southern Air-Liner City of Memphis (TIME, Aug. 17).

As an assistant in the Works Progress Administration's $120,000,000 airport and airway development program, Mrs. Omlie hired a corps of famed female flyers,* sent them out to get local sponsors to suggest air markers, share their expense. So far, Mrs. Omlie's aides have spent $340,000. Expenditure of some $780,000 more has been authorized. Says Mrs. Omlie: "This is the first time that the Government has spent money in helping the private airplane owner."

*Louise Thaden, Helen MacCloskey, Nancy Harkness were the original three. When Pilot Harkness resigned to marry, Mrs. Omlie hired Helen Richey. Last week, another aide was appointed, Pilot Blanche Noyes.

Everything you ever wanted to
know about the classic Superman:
Supermanica
The Encyclopedia of Supermanic Biography!
(temporarily offline)
Aldous
Superman Squad

Downunder

« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2007, 04:45:33 AM »

The business of the key has more flaws than those mentioned. (Telle, interesting about the air markers. And I agree: which planes were flying over the Pole? And that's the thing with those HUGE land and sea areas and distances: what are the chances, if you needed the arrow/key, that you'd fly near it?)

By the time the key to the Fortress was introduced, weren't there enough super-types around that it made the key a bad call anyway? Which good guys and bad guys were around at the time who could have used it? Green Lantern was on the horizon, so that means Sinestro was around, and he could have used the key no sweat. Superman also had super-strong opponents by then who could also have used it. And if you have even one baddie that can use it, it's obsolete. The Fortress being well-hidden was its biggest defence, I think. And why have the Fortress on Earth at all? Why not hollow out a section of the Moon(?), because we are talking about a Silver Age/Bronze Age supreme being who could fly from Metropolis to the Moon and back in one second.
TELLE
Supermanica Council
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2007, 09:48:53 AM »

The moon would have been best.  Maybe harder to fly Lois there with only a cape wrapped around her...

Everything you ever wanted to
know about the classic Superman:
Supermanica
The Encyclopedia of Supermanic Biography!
(temporarily offline)
Permanus
Superman Squad

« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2007, 02:28:54 PM »

To get back to Kandor, I can't help feeling that an above-board fellow like Superman would have felt obliged to tell the people of earth that he had just brought eight million refugees over. I mean, he'd have looked a bit stupid if a Kandorian got out and started flying around: "Oh yeah, I was meaning to tell you about them..."

Obviously, he'd be taking a big risk, revealing the existence of something so precious, but I doubt he'd feel it was fair to lie about Kandor.

Between the revolution and the firing-squad, there is always time for a glass of champagne.
Uncle Mxy
Superman Squad

« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2007, 07:06:39 PM »

Why keep the Kandorians in a bottle?  Wouldn't they just a little safer under a yellow sun and not in a glass container -- give 'em a chance to help out Earth? 

Super Monkey
Super
League of Supermen

« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2007, 08:59:16 PM »

Why keep the Kandorians in a bottle?  Wouldn't they just a little safer under a yellow sun and not in a glass container -- give 'em a chance to help out Earth? 

They are really tiny!
Plus not all of them are good, you know.

http://superman.nu/wiki/index.php/Category:Kandorians

"I loved Super-Monkey; always wanted to do something with him but it never happened."
- Elliot S! Maggin
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L