superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonHolliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "IT'S REAL!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 03:53:09 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Is the existence of Kandor public knowledge on Earth-1?  (Read 14447 times)
Great Rao
Administrator
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #24 on: January 22, 2007, 05:31:58 PM »

Given the scale of strength demonstrated by Superman, a microscopic Kryptonian would still be hugely formidable...  heck maybe even moreso in some ways since they'd be so hard to detect.  And then there's those brains filled with advanced technology which become super under our yellow sun.  Let them out for a few minutes and their enhanced brain power plows through possible solutions that would take years otherwise.  They could potentially solve their size problem on their own, without Superman having to be their savior.

Of course, it's not as cool as a bottled city... 

In effect, they would be microscopic super-powered nanites that could do pretty much anything.  Take over computers and computer networks and re-program them on the fly; enter human bodies to rebuild and/or heal them (brain surgery, eye surgery, DNA enhancement) or give them super-powers; inhabit automobiles or other machinery in order to create "flying cars," etc.  The man walking down the street would see a building collapse due to some accident - then somehow re-coalesce and "heal" itself, unaware that the Kandorians were fixing the accident as it happened.  There could be an entire super-powered microscopic civilization inhabiting the planet and seemingly performing miracles.

"The bottom line involves choices.  Neither gods nor humans have ever stood calmly in a minefield forever.  Good or evil, they are bound to choose.  And when they do, you will see the truth of all that motivates us.  As a thinking being, you have the obligation to choose.  If the fate of all mankind were in your hands, what would your decision be?  As a writer and an artist, I've drawn my answer."   - Jack Kirby
TELLE
Supermanica Council
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #25 on: January 22, 2007, 11:24:20 PM »

Is there any consensus on the population of Kandor? 

I seem to remember it being referred to as "eight million", which seemed to be the standard size of a big city in 1970s DC comics: Metropolis and Gotham City are also said to have eight million inhabitants.

I can't find a reference to population anywhere myself.  I remeber we had a discussion about the population of Krypton as a whole, about which Supermanica says:

Perhaps one explanation for the comparative lack of strife on Krypton lay in the relative sparseness of the population, for despite the vast size of the planet, its population may have numbered only in the millions (S No. 141, Nov 1960: "Superman's Return to Krypton" Pts 1-3).

Although later sources I'm sure say "billions".

Al Schroeder says:
In a Denny O'Neil "Fabulous World of Krypton" featurette, Superman told a story to Green Arrow and Balck Canary about the singing flowers of Krypton and the scientist who tried to awake people from their music-invoked stupor. At the end, he said either nine billion or twelve billion died in the explosion of Krypton....I THINK nine billion.

and dto claims that the population was set at 7 million in 1977:

http://superman.nu/smf/index.php?topic=2452.msg19266#msg19266

Everything you ever wanted to
know about the classic Superman:
Supermanica
The Encyclopedia of Supermanic Biography!
(temporarily offline)
Johnny Nevada
Last Son of Krypton

Milwaukee, WI

« Reply #26 on: January 23, 2007, 02:23:15 AM »

Given the scale of strength demonstrated by Superman, a microscopic Kryptonian would still be hugely formidable...  heck maybe even moreso in some ways since they'd be so hard to detect.

I keep thinking of Atom Ant here for whatever reason ("up and at 'em!")...

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L