superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonHolliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "THE SPECIAL REPORT!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 20, 2024, 03:55:09 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Characters that have yet to get a "definitive" movie treatment?  (Read 23481 times)
Super Monkey
Super
League of Supermen

« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2007, 12:07:26 AM »

Man alive are you acting grumpy lately.

Are you ok, or are you just joking around?

"I loved Super-Monkey; always wanted to do something with him but it never happened."
- Elliot S! Maggin
Aldous
Superman Squad

Downunder

« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2007, 12:20:06 AM »

Man alive are you acting grumpy lately.

Are you ok, or are you just joking around?

Super Monkey, are you referring to moi ?
Super Monkey
Super
League of Supermen

« Reply #18 on: January 24, 2007, 01:13:16 AM »

yes sir

"I loved Super-Monkey; always wanted to do something with him but it never happened."
- Elliot S! Maggin
Great Rao
Administrator
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #19 on: January 24, 2007, 05:22:04 AM »

I've found everything that Aldous has said in the last couple of weeks to be very negative and criticizing so I don't read his posts anymore.

"The bottom line involves choices.  Neither gods nor humans have ever stood calmly in a minefield forever.  Good or evil, they are bound to choose.  And when they do, you will see the truth of all that motivates us.  As a thinking being, you have the obligation to choose.  If the fate of all mankind were in your hands, what would your decision be?  As a writer and an artist, I've drawn my answer."   - Jack Kirby
JulianPerez
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #20 on: January 26, 2007, 01:37:44 AM »

Aldous is right on the money with this one.

You see, every man sees the personification of all evil differently. For Tolkien, it was spiders. For Robert E. Howard, it was serpents.

For me, it's magical midgets.

REVENGE IS LIFE!
DEATH TO MOPEE AND BAT-MITE!

"Wait, folks...in a startling new development, Black Goliath has ripped Stilt-Man's leg off, and appears to be beating him with it!"
       - Reporter, Champions #15 (1978)
Super Monkey
Super
League of Supermen

« Reply #21 on: January 26, 2007, 01:49:34 AM »

Aldous is right on the money with this one.

You see, every man sees the personification of all evil differently. For Tolkien, it was spiders. For Robert E. Howard, it was serpents.

For me, it's magical midgets.

REVENGE IS LIFE!
DEATH TO MOPEE AND BAT-MITE!

I like Bat-Mite for the same reasons that you hate him, LOL.

He was part of that weird magical imp craze at DC at the time, even Aquaman had one!

http://www.supermanartists.comics.org/silverage/Quisp-Aquaman01_05.jpg

Classic Superheroes had many spin-off stock characters:

Sidekicks
Female counterparts
Hero pets
Evil Version of him/herself
Magical Imps
Cartoon Animal counterparts

I am sure there are some more.

- Elliot S! Maggin
JulianPerez
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #22 on: January 30, 2007, 12:02:12 PM »

Spider-Man is another character that has yet to receive a "definitive" movie treatment, I think.

SPIDER-MAN and DAREDEVIL came out soon after one another, but most people universally loved SPIDER-MAN (it made tons of dough) and despised DAREDEVIL...but my reaction was flipped: I found DAREDEVIL a watchable and unpretentious action flick with many fantastic moments, on the level of the popcorn-munching Soderbergh MUMMY movies...and I found SPIDER-MAN a badly edited waste of time.

They just didn't get the character. They had Spider-Man silent as a ninja during battles. This may not sound like much, but it really is. Having Spider-Man be silent and not wisecrack shows a major lack of understanding of the character's personality. Spider-Man is a character that spends his whole existence as Peter Parker biting a hole through his tongue: he has to keep still when that old goat, his boss, J. Jonah, makes money off Spider-Man's gloom. But being Spider-Man is a release for Parker, it's when he can say what he's thinking and escape a frustrating, boring existence. More than anything, Parker enjoys being Spider-Man because of this escapist element.

In the movie, they didn't have gadget web-shooters. Again, this may sound like a minor, cosmetic change, but it really isn't. Spider-Man needs gadget web shooters to show that he has BRAINS - he's a scientific wunderkind. Also...there's a REASON Lee and Ditko back in the day had the webs emerged from a gadget: they wanted Spider-Man to be as likeable as possible despite the fact spiders are icky, a "friendly neighborhood Spider-Man," and webs being produced by a person is rather grotesque.

CGI Spider-Man is the worst excess of the entire phenomenon. The reason JURASSIC PARK still looks good today is because the CGI there was their last choice, not their first. Even the Harryhausen claymation epics still look better than CGI films made as little as a few years ago, because no matter how good CGI gets, it still can't give you a sense of a real object.

Christ almighty, was Mary Jane boring. How can a character as vivacious and sexy and full of life as MJ get watered down into a generic high school dream girl?

This is just scratching the surface here. The only character they got spot-on was the wonderful J. Jonah Jameson...who worked for that very reason.

Worst of all, the movies are edited and paced all wrong. If we had to take out every scene of Spider-Man buying an ice cream cone and looking up at the sky, the movie would be 15 minutes shorter. And there are some scenes that just contribute nothing - Spider-Man having cake with his landlord's daughter, for instance. Aunt May's voiceover monologue going ON and ON and ON...

When Spider-Man gets another movie series maybe 10-15 years down the road, I predict we'll all look back on the Toby MacGuire movies the same way we look at the Keaton Batman films: their flaws will be made more apparent by much better and truer versions like BEGINS and PHANTASM.

Quote from: SuperMonkey
He was part of that weird magical imp craze at DC at the time, even Aquaman had one!

Adam Strange had one as well, if I recall.

The most obvious one we're forgetting is the FF's Impossible Man.

In an interview, Roy Thomas said his greatest contribution to the Fantastic Four was the return of the Impossible Man. Gee, thanks, Roy.  Tongue

I mean, first Roy the Boy replaced the Thing with Luke Cage, and then he returned the only character in the initial twenty issues of FF that was deservedly not seen again for a decade. I have a question, Roy: you're a legend and all, but with your FF run...did you do anything right?

Seriously, people, just think about that: a villain that was in the first 25 issues of Fantastic Four, yet was not seen again for more than a decade. There was a joke in a Gerber HOWARD THE DUCK, that just about any comics fan can name the villains in the first 25 issues of FF by heart. It's like a soothing mantra and it rolls off the tongue without any thought at all.

It's like being able to list the tracks in Sgt. Pepper or the Joshua Tree. If you're white, you can probably do it. In fact, if I had to prevent the Children of the Corn from reading my thoughts, remembering the first 25 villains is what I'd use to distract their telepathy.

I'm most surprised Hate-Monger was seen after his appearance. I mean, where do you go with a character, after the ending where you reveal they're really Hitler?

Even minor villains that appear in the first few issues of X-Men, like Unus and the Vanisher, were a consistent presence in the X-Books for years. And even the early, lame Daredevil villains, like the Purple Man and Stilt-Man, appeared with some regularity. Yet, Impossible Man was not seen again (and probably wouldn't have been, ever, if not for Roy).

The only other character I can even begin to compare this slight to is the forgettable "living robot" character from AMAZING SPIDER-MAN #7, who was only seen again in the late eighties.

Getting back to your comment...this is the 'cookie jar' defense, "everybody ELSE was doing it!" is no excuse for Bat-Mite.

The fact that other superheroes have villains like Bat-Mite is a weak defense because it doesn't do any credit to Batman's uniqueness as a character. Bat-Mite doesn't belong in Batman's nocturnal, pulp fiction world.

While Mxyzptlk is a humorous character with a great personality and a niche in Superman's rogues gallery (my personal favorite Mxy stories are by Martin Pasko, who played up personality elements of his character like his vanity), other characters of ths type are considerably less successful not just because they're copying the formula, but because their Robin Williams on crack antics aren't funny.

Quote from: SuperMonkey
Sidekicks
Female counterparts
Hero pets
Evil Version of him/herself
Magical Imps
Cartoon Animal counterparts

The only creatively successful examples of character types you mention that I can think of... are characters that have so thoroughly established their uniqueness apart from the hero that birthed them.

In fact, I'd argue the reason the Valkyrie was so interesting was that nobody thinks of her as "She-Thor."

This too, is why Ms. Marvel needs the Avengers just as much as Hawkeye or the Scarlet Witch does; it gives her a history and identity apart from Captain Marvel.

"Wait, folks...in a startling new development, Black Goliath has ripped Stilt-Man's leg off, and appears to be beating him with it!"
       - Reporter, Champions #15 (1978)
Kuuga
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #23 on: January 30, 2007, 07:39:15 PM »

I was of a divided mind on the web-shooter thing. It does help to illustrate Peters science smarts and well, they're just cool. At the same time, I think it is a valid question to ask why of all the attributes of a spider Peter gained he didn't get the one that is the most spidery of all? So the organic web-shooters have a certain amount of interior logic. Given my own druthers though, I would have either gone for the standard web-shooters or maybe even say that the shooters allow him to control his organic webbing into specifics like a single thread, or goo, or a net.

My biggest issue was that the costume is a little too Hollywood and Maguire is excellent when it comes to Peters angst or his geekness but he seems totally incapable of bringing across what for me is a key element of the character, Spider-Man's smartalec humor in the face of his foes. It's something that helps bring about a sense of transformation beyond just the costume. With the mask on, Peter can say exactly what he thinks.

Daredevil was just kinda laughable to me. The coffin, Elektra's candy coated sai's, the utterly ridiculous playground fight (so much for that whole secret identity thing). Also note to Hollywood, it's Radar *Sense* not Radar Vision. I recently rewatched the movie coupled with Mike Nelson's Rifftracks for it with Kevin Murphy and Bill Corbett sitting in with him. One of their best yet and it couldn't happen to a more deserving film.

CHO-HENSHIN! KAMEN RAIDA, KUUGA!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L