superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonHolliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "THE SPECIAL REPORT!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 10:36:05 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Characters that have yet to get a "definitive" movie treatment?  (Read 23470 times)
Uncle Mxy
Superman Squad

« Reply #24 on: January 30, 2007, 09:53:13 PM »

Supposedly, the director's cut of Daredevil is pretty radically different.

http://us.imdb.com/title/tt0287978/alternateversions
Permanus
Superman Squad

« Reply #25 on: January 31, 2007, 10:43:05 AM »

Also note to Hollywood, it's Radar *Sense* not Radar Vision.

In the film, Matt Murdock attributes it to his sense of hearing, so strictly speaking, it's sonar.

You know who I'd like to see a movie adaptation of? The Atom. Stop laughing, it would be great: a tiny guy doing acrobatics, it's very cinematic.

Between the revolution and the firing-squad, there is always time for a glass of champagne.
TELLE
Supermanica Council
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #26 on: January 31, 2007, 11:22:17 AM »

There was a joke in a Gerber HOWARD THE DUCK, that just about any comics fan can name the villains in the first 25 issues of FF by heart.

HTD #16 --one of my personal talismans.

Everything you ever wanted to
know about the classic Superman:
Supermanica
The Encyclopedia of Supermanic Biography!
(temporarily offline)
JulianPerez
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #27 on: January 31, 2007, 12:36:02 PM »

True, DAREDEVIL does lend itself to being lampooned by Mike Nelson and his robot pals. But I think that's part of the appeal of DAREDEVIL, especially over the sober-minded, "dead" serious SPIDER-MAN films.

In MST3K they always spoofed watchable bad movies, like SANTA CLAUS CONQUERS THE MARTIANS and the all-midget musical western, THE TERROR OF TINY TOWN. Truly bad movies, the unwatchable kind like PATCH ADAMS or PAY IT FORWARD, they never touched.

When I saw VAN HELSING, I loved that movie, because of moments like that unbelievably over the top scene where Kate Beckinsale, with that ridiculous, Rocky n' Bullwinkle accent of hers, said, "NOTHING can outrun Transylvanian horses - not even werewolves!"

Anyway, Mike Nelson and Kevin Murphy are doing riff tracks for popular movies now? Sweet Jesus, where were these guys when INDEPENDENCE DAY came out? If ever there was a movie that called to be Mistied....

"Wait, folks...in a startling new development, Black Goliath has ripped Stilt-Man's leg off, and appears to be beating him with it!"
       - Reporter, Champions #15 (1978)
Kuuga
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #28 on: January 31, 2007, 05:34:47 PM »

True, DAREDEVIL does lend itself to being lampooned by Mike Nelson and his robot pals. But I think that's part of the appeal of DAREDEVIL, especially over the sober-minded, "dead" serious SPIDER-MAN films.

In MST3K they always spoofed watchable bad movies, like SANTA CLAUS CONQUERS THE MARTIANS and the all-midget musical western, THE TERROR OF TINY TOWN. Truly bad movies, the unwatchable kind like PATCH ADAMS or PAY IT FORWARD, they never touched.

When I saw VAN HELSING, I loved that movie, because of moments like that unbelievably over the top scene where Kate Beckinsale, with that ridiculous, Rocky n' Bullwinkle accent of hers, said, "NOTHING can outrun Transylvanian horses - not even werewolves!"

Anyway, Mike Nelson and Kevin Murphy are doing riff tracks for popular movies now? Sweet Jesus, where were these guys when INDEPENDENCE DAY came out? If ever there was a movie that called to be Mistied....

Hmm. You know I think you're right that the Spider-Man movies do suffer from that. That may even be why the absence of Spidey's humor just bugs me that much more. I feel like the first one was pretty balanced at least until the ending, which sets the rather sledgehammer tone for the sequel. I love the Doc Ock stuff but a lot of it was for me a case study in how you can really overdo that whole sort of "Charlie Brown and the football" thing with Peter. Where rather than a hero who is plauged by everyday problems you and I face trying to balance them with the challenges of being a supehero, he has this absurdly cursed existance that actually makes the character *less* relatable I think. Granted in the film, some of this was used for comedic effect but still..

For MST3K, I think they hit upon some unwatchable stuff from time to time. Of course the fun there can be the humor of the guys getting bitter under the pressure. Manos definately comes to mind. Also, any Coleman Francis movie.

I'd imagine Mike will get to ID4 soon enough. The great thing about Rifftracks is since you download the track from his website and buy or rent the movie yourself and sync it up with the help of "Disembodio" (think if Magic Voice had a male sibling) then alot of the problem they faced getting films for MST3K are just no longer an issue. They've even done Star Trek V and The Fifth Element.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2007, 06:00:08 PM by Kuuga » Logged

CHO-HENSHIN! KAMEN RAIDA, KUUGA!
Criadoman
Superman Family

« Reply #29 on: February 03, 2007, 06:13:02 AM »

Spider-Man is another character that has yet to receive a "definitive" movie treatment, I think.

SPIDER-MAN and DAREDEVIL came out soon after one another, but most people universally loved SPIDER-MAN (it made tons of dough) and despised DAREDEVIL...but my reaction was flipped: I found DAREDEVIL a watchable and unpretentious action flick with many fantastic moments, on the level of the popcorn-munching Soderbergh MUMMY movies...and I found SPIDER-MAN a badly edited waste of time.

No, Spiderman got his defining moment.  The key aspects of his origin were there and maintained.  Although the points regarding what was missed or gotten wrong (webshooters, et al.) are well taken, the truth is that they aren't so integral to the key elements as are the death of Uncle Ben, "great power...", wrestling and the moral of the story.

The main problem with MJ is that MJ the character in the movie is really more an amalgam of Gwen Stacy and MJ.  Case in point: Goblin, the bridge, girlfriend tossed off the bridge... sound familiar?  All that was missing was the "snap".  So, looks are MJ, but character is Gwen.

Similar point, Kypton of the movie is a cold, "authortarian-by-council" society vs. the technological utopia of the comics of the time.  I could argue comic Krypton is integral to Superman, but distilled to a nutshell, it's irrelevant.  It's simply not key.  However, being of my generation, my biggest beef with the movie when it came out was "where's Superboy?"  Superboy was a key aspect of Superman for me.

I personally enjoyed Daredevil the movie.  I would have preferred more development and less Electra (not that I particularly mind Jenny), but I thought it was a good flick.  But again, many key elements remained.

In Hulk, we've got a concatenation of various origins (reconned, revised and televised) and no clear statement of his origins and motivations.  Why?  Because a very basic point was missed.  Bruce, the coward, weakling turned hero for one instant in his life and was cursed to be the Hulk as a result.  Why they missed this?  Just a huge lack of understanding of the character.

Although I wouldn't count this one as a favorite, the Fantastic Four flick was still enjoyable enough.  Tying Doom's origin into theirs wasn't particularly inspired, but at least the space/explorer/cosmic rays aspects remained.  Ben and Johnny's bull-baiting was there.  Etc.

Another movie I particularly enjoyed was the 80's Flash Gordon.  Once again, the key elements were there.  Plot to destroy Earth, Flash, Dale and Zarkov zip to Mongo.  Various swashbuckling and Aura eye-candy ensues, Flash overthrows Ming, unites Mongo.  Yeah, lots of 80's mentality, but still, worked out.

Shadow?  Don't know much, but not a terrible flick.  Phantom?  Again, don't know much.  What's interesting is that I couldn't particularly give you a clear statement about who they are after seeing the movies.  Hence the case in point.  Nothing particularly defining.

Blade, no problem.  Easy to understand the motivation and what he's about.

Captain America isn't even a movie as far as I'm concerned.  That was a movie that was ashamed about being a superhero movie.

Every hero has got some indisputable defining elements that make them who they are. 

"If I print "She was stark naked"--& then proceeded to describe her person in detail, what critic would not howl?--but the artist does this & all ages gather around & look & talk & point." - Mark Twain
Kuuga
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #30 on: February 03, 2007, 05:31:24 PM »

No, Spiderman got his defining moment.  The key aspects of his origin were there and maintained.  Although the points regarding what was missed or gotten wrong (webshooters, et al.) are well taken, the truth is that they aren't so integral to the key elements as are the death of Uncle Ben, "great power...", wrestling and the moral of the story.

The main problem with MJ is that MJ the character in the movie is really more an amalgam of Gwen Stacy and MJ.  Case in point: Goblin, the bridge, girlfriend tossed off the bridge... sound familiar?  All that was missing was the "snap".  So, looks are MJ, but character is Gwen.

I'm glad they didn't have the snap. Very glad.

Similar point, Kypton of the movie is a cold, "authortarian-by-council" society vs. the technological utopia of the comics of the time.  I could argue comic Krypton is integral to Superman, but distilled to a nutshell, it's irrelevant.  It's simply not key.  However, being of my generation, my biggest beef with the movie when it came out was "where's Superboy?"  Superboy was a key aspect of Superman for me.

I didn't really miss Superboy at all to be honest. With Krypton it's funny. Because watching it as a kid I didn't really see Krypton of the movies as having any negative aspect to it, it was just alien I guess. Same with the movies take on Jor-El which I didn't see as God figure or a manipulative one but rather kind of ..oh I don't know. I guess sort of like a floating head Obi-Wan or something. The wizard in the secret cave.

It was only when I got older that I began to see the movies take on Jor-El and Krypton a bit of a clearer light. I still like the whole crystaline design and I think it's a very heartfelt rendition of the goodbye/rocket launch scene (I have a soft spot for nearly any incarnation of that moment in any version of Superman). But philosophically there's something just not quite right. It's not as extreme as Byrne's Krypton where you're practically cheering for it to blow up. For me STAS had it right on the money with Krypton. You feel genuinely bad for these people who achived so much only to lose it *all* in the end.

In Hulk, we've got a concatenation of various origins (reconned, revised and televised) and no clear statement of his origins and motivations.  Why?  Because a very basic point was missed.  Bruce, the coward, weakling turned hero for one instant in his life and was cursed to be the Hulk as a result.  Why they missed this?  Just a huge lack of understanding of the character.

There's a huge lack of understanding of the character in the comics as well. The Hulk movie was just long winded and pretentious garbage. My god if you can't have a little action and fun with a movie about a green monster what the heck can you have fun with? I watched that and a re-airing of the pilot for Bill Bixby series and despite all it's flaws the pilot was still the much more satisfying viewing experience. But maybe that's because I've always thought the "Hulk Smash!" version was the way to go. I thought that was interesting. A creature of anger who also has this childlike, gentle side to him that you see glimpses of just before he reverts back. I think the main thing they need to understand is that it's not Jekyl/Hyde with superpowers. The Hulk is heroic in his way but he is a superhero for whom his brain and brawn are seperated with only Banners conscience as the tether between them. The whole child abuse and MPD angle are just overkill. He becomes the Hulk because he gets mad and is loaded with gamma-rays! Who the heck can't relate to getting stress-out or mad? Do we really need the child abuse explanation for it? It always seemed pretty straightfoward to me. The price of the Hulks power is that Banner intellect receeds.

Although I wouldn't count this one as a favorite, the Fantastic Four flick was still enjoyable enough.  Tying Doom's origin into theirs wasn't particularly inspired, but at least the space/explorer/cosmic rays aspects remained.  Ben and Johnny's bull-baiting was there.  Etc.

I still haven't watched this one. Their need do put Doom in a green trenchcoat and to that liquid metal thing with him really turned me off. I know they were afraid of Darth Vader comparrisons and I like Vader alot (to me the prequels are little more than filmed fanfic) but you know what? Screw him! Give Doom a big cape and big armor the way God and The King intended!

Another movie I particularly enjoyed was the 80's Flash Gordon.  Once again, the key elements were there.  Plot to destroy Earth, Flash, Dale and Zarkov zip to Mongo.  Various swashbuckling and Aura eye-candy ensues, Flash overthrows Ming, unites Mongo.  Yeah, lots of 80's mentality, but still, worked out.

This movie is weird but you're right it does have this strange charm to it. But it is still very weird in some respects as a Flash Gordon movie. Incidentally, Alex Ross is on record as saying this is his all time favorite film.

Captain America isn't even a movie as far as I'm concerned.  That was a movie that was ashamed about being a superhero movie.

..and now we often have superhero comics that are ashamed of being superhero comics. I still think a good Cap movie is possible. I'd almost being inclined to have the first film entirely set in WW II and then end it with Cap being put in suspended animation in order to have him in modern times for the sequel where he could hook up with SHIELD and meet Sharon Carter and Sam Jones. (Okay, so I grew up on Kirby's 70's Cap run.)

CHO-HENSHIN! KAMEN RAIDA, KUUGA!
Criadoman
Superman Family

« Reply #31 on: February 06, 2007, 03:34:21 AM »

Believe it or not, I had a nifty reply to this some days ago, but then my 'puter crashed before I could submit it.

Just 2 points, really.

1. Regarding Flash Gordon - strangely all the basic elements were there though - although the acting was mediocre in the main, by Van Sindow and Dalton as well as the Vultan actor managed to keep things together.  The movie was a bit psychadelic, a la Barberella, but, still it was a charming flick.  I could still use a nice epic version of the piece.

2. Regarding Captain America - I don't know about you, but the most fun part of the movie was the WW2 battle before the rocket.  Then that was it.  No more movie.  Ah well, some day.  cap's one of my favorites.

"If I print "She was stark naked"--& then proceeded to describe her person in detail, what critic would not howl?--but the artist does this & all ages gather around & look & talk & point." - Mark Twain
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L