superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonHolliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "GENERAL DESTRUCTION!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 02:49:12 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Characters that have yet to get a "definitive" movie treatment?  (Read 23558 times)
Great Rao
Administrator
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2007, 09:27:44 PM »

Doc Savage and the Cthulhu Mythos of Lovecraft are two pulp fiction concepts that have been attempted but have never produced anything memorable.

I think the definitive Lovecraft movie has been made, although not widely seen: The Call of Cthulhu is a new, black & white silent film of the first short story, produced as if it were made around the same time that the story was published.

"The bottom line involves choices.  Neither gods nor humans have ever stood calmly in a minefield forever.  Good or evil, they are bound to choose.  And when they do, you will see the truth of all that motivates us.  As a thinking being, you have the obligation to choose.  If the fate of all mankind were in your hands, what would your decision be?  As a writer and an artist, I've drawn my answer."   - Jack Kirby
Michel Weisnor
Action Ace

« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2007, 09:34:33 PM »

Flash Gordon and Buck Rodgers deserve the definitive treatment. Most of the classic pulp and serial heroes are probably on the way. I recall Sam Raimi's in pre-production on the Shadow.

"Truth, Tolerance, and Justice"
Klar Ken T5477
Council of Wisdom

Metropolis Prime, NYC, NY USA

« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2007, 04:29:47 AM »

One of my sources confirmed (hush hush and on the QT here) that which was rumored: Raimi's scored all the Street & Smith biggies and after The Shadow is............

Doc
« Last Edit: January 17, 2007, 04:31:53 AM by Klar Ken T5477 » Logged
Aldous
Superman Squad

Downunder

« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2007, 05:19:48 AM »

Wasn't Clint pretty much playing Jonah Hex in "Hang Em High" anyway?

I don't think he was. "Hang 'Em High" is yet another example of the yanks trying to duplicate something European, only to prove they didn't get it the first time around.

But it's sort of what I was getting at. Was early Jonah from "Weird Western" not a rip-off clone of Manco? Of course he was. So for Clint to play a rip-off of himself would be a little odd... even incestuous.
JulianPerez
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2007, 07:15:44 PM »

Quote from: JulianPerez
Four words: John Carter of Mars.

Mainly, 'cuase there hasn't been one to date (other than Bob Clampett's aborted JCOM toon in the 30s and a billion other 'announced' projects)

At this point, I'd be happy as a pig in horse manure with John Carter getting ANY movie treatment. Definitive can wait once we've got ONE version.

It really bugs me when overpriveledged Batman or X-Men fans complain about how their pet idea took years to become a movie. What, a whole ten years? Boo-hoo.

John Carter of Mars has been in Development Hell, on and off, since 1932. To give some perspective here, it almost became the first full-length animated feature of all time under Bud Clampett. Later on, Ray Harryhausen tried to get the project started for years. And they wanted Tom Cruise to be John Carter, and to give some perspective here, this was back when casting Tom Cruise as a man from Mars wouldn't be quite as appropriate as it is today.

"Wait, folks...in a startling new development, Black Goliath has ripped Stilt-Man's leg off, and appears to be beating him with it!"
       - Reporter, Champions #15 (1978)
TELLE
Supermanica Council
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2007, 07:29:58 PM »

Johnny was replaced by H.E.R.B.I.E. the "lovable" robot, who is more or less to FF fans what Bat-Mite is to Batman fans.  Tongue

I agree, HERBIE and Bat-Mite are among my all-time favourite characters!!!!!

Everything you ever wanted to
know about the classic Superman:
Supermanica
The Encyclopedia of Supermanic Biography!
(temporarily offline)
Klar Ken T5477
Council of Wisdom

Metropolis Prime, NYC, NY USA

« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2007, 01:20:12 AM »

Rumor hath it that JCOM is going to be animated!  Chickens!

For a glimpse at Bob Clampett's test footage pick up the Best of Beany & Cecil dvd.  Sad it was never green lit but Im sure the cost would have been quite prohibitive.  Very much in the Fleischer tradition before there WAS a Flesicher Superman!
Aldous
Superman Squad

Downunder

« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2007, 05:05:43 AM »

Johnny was replaced by H.E.R.B.I.E. the "lovable" robot, who is more or less to FF fans what Bat-Mite is to Batman fans.  Tongue

I agree, HERBIE and Bat-Mite are among my all-time favourite characters!!!!!

You're sick and you need help.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L