superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonHolliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "IT'S REAL!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 07:37:25 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: "Heroes" (the new television series)  (Read 12399 times)
Aldous
Superman Squad

Downunder

« on: January 17, 2007, 09:34:52 AM »

I watched episodes 1 and 2. Sort of a cross between the X-Men and "Smallville" I guess....

Aimed at a young audience of course, but looks promising....
nightwing
Defender of Kandor
Council of Wisdom

Semper Vigilans

« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2007, 03:18:04 PM »

Tried to watch the first couple shows and couldn't get into it.  Just as well, as the last thing I need is another complicated TV storyline demanding my time and attention.

In fact, I've about decided to skip "Lost" when it comes back in February.  That leaves "the Office" as the only thing I'm watching, and that I can handle.

Maybe I'll get around to "Heroes" when it hits DVD.  People sure seem to like it.

This looks like a job for...
Klar Ken T5477
Council of Wisdom

Metropolis Prime, NYC, NY USA

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2007, 04:12:51 PM »

I've been taking a pass on that as well - seems too derivative and too slow - as the big mystery slowly unfolds -- kinda like an old 8 pager taking 12 issues -- wait, thats modern comics!
DBN
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2007, 04:20:41 PM »

I like the show. It's one of the few series' that I actually find entertaining. The others being Supernatural, the Shield, and the Sopranoes.
JulianPerez
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2007, 04:59:02 PM »

It sounds interesting, but alas, I didn't watch the first few episodes, so I can't 'jump on" now - maybe I'll wait for it on DVD.

You know the very first thing I thought to myself when I heard the concept?

"Wow, I hope Jim Shooter is watching this now, because they're making THE NEW UNIVERSE: THE TV SHOW."

I wonder if Jim Shooter has the satisfaction years and years later, with the insane success of this show, to tell everyone he was right about the New Universe concept.

Which is essentially what HEROES is, the New Universe concept: e.g. superheroism without the costumes and over the top battles, where superheroes are an exclusively science fiction concept. Jim Shooter used the example of the first issue of the FANTASTIC FOUR as inspiration: in it, they didn't even wear costumes.

As someone that was a fan of the New Universe (the best work of Fabian Niceza's career to me was PSI-FORCE, which was much more adult and intelligent than the later NEW WARRIORS or even his post-Busiek THUNDERBOLTS) it is vindicating to see the concept "work" in such a high profile way.

When Jim Shooter dies, the three things he is going to be remembered for as a writer in his obituary, will be: his Superboy and the Legion of Super-Heroes, SECRET WARS, and last but not least, the incredible, humorous STAR BRAND.

"Wait, folks...in a startling new development, Black Goliath has ripped Stilt-Man's leg off, and appears to be beating him with it!"
       - Reporter, Champions #15 (1978)
nightwing
Defender of Kandor
Council of Wisdom

Semper Vigilans

« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2007, 06:18:35 PM »

Well, the trick is knowing where to use your great idea, isn't it.

Superheroes with no costumes or cosmic battles in a comic book = Who Cares?
Same thing on TV = Big Hit.

Similarly, I doubt "Deal or No Deal" or "American Idol" would make for a hot-selling comic.

This looks like a job for...
Klar Ken T5477
Council of Wisdom

Metropolis Prime, NYC, NY USA

« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2007, 06:38:04 PM »

Super hero not in costume on TV? It's called "Smallville"
Spaceman Spiff
Superman Family

« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2007, 01:22:08 AM »

Quote from: nightwing
Similarly, I doubt "Deal or No Deal" or "American Idol" would make for a hot-selling comic.
"American Idol" comics? You mean a comic where people with little or no talent annoy their audience? Doesn't that describe a lot of the comics published these days? Cheesy

No Deal!
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L