superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonHolliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "SONG OF THE EARTH!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 07:40:03 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Once There Was A Superman?  (Read 6240 times)
napnewman
Jimmy Olsen Fan Club

« on: January 18, 2007, 12:32:45 AM »

I haven't read a Superman comic book in years, but for some reason, today I was reminded of an old issue that I believed was called "Once There Was A Superman". If that isn't the title, I think it was an alternate title for the issue.

I read this issue back in the early 70's, but I never read the complete story ( I think it was a multi-issue story and I never found the conclusion ). So today I'm looking around on the net to try to find out how the story ends, and I found the superman.nu web site - AWESOME!

I saw some online comics from  the 70's that I distinctly remember reading as a kid. Anyway, I looked around the site, but I couldn't find any info on the story I was looking for - I certainly could have the wrong title. Anyway, if anyone knows the story I'm talking about, I would really appreciate some feedback to find out how it ends ,when it was published, etc...

Thanks!!
Aldous
Superman Squad

Downunder

« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2007, 04:59:35 AM »

I haven't read a Superman comic book in years, but for some reason, today I was reminded of an old issue that I believed was called "Once There Was A Superman". If that isn't the title, I think it was an alternate title for the issue.

I read this issue back in the early 70's, but I never read the complete story ( I think it was a multi-issue story and I never found the conclusion ). So today I'm looking around on the net to try to find out how the story ends, and I found the superman.nu web site - AWESOME!

I saw some online comics from  the 70's that I distinctly remember reading as a kid. Anyway, I looked around the site, but I couldn't find any info on the story I was looking for - I certainly could have the wrong title. Anyway, if anyone knows the story I'm talking about, I would really appreciate some feedback to find out how it ends ,when it was published, etc...

Thanks!!

You haven't given us much to go on. If the title is wrong, what then?? Maybe if you wrote a synopsis of the story, so far as you remember it.... That might help narrow it down.

There's an Imaginary story with that title in Superman #192 (a two-parter), which carries over into Superman #194 (the third part), so I think this is the issue you're looking for (from 1967).
napnewman
Jimmy Olsen Fan Club

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2007, 11:08:43 PM »

You haven't given us much to go on. If the title is wrong, what then?? Maybe if you wrote a synopsis of the story, so far as you remember it.... That might help narrow it down.

There's an Imaginary story with that title in Superman #192 (a two-parter), which carries over into Superman #194 (the third part), so I think this is the issue you're looking for (from 1967).

I'm sure that is the story! I just discussed it with my cousin - the 2 of us read this story about 34 years ago. He (like me) remembers reading the first part, but never finding the end of the story. We both remember it was billed as an Imaginery story and think that it was based around the premise that Clark has amnesia and doesn't know he is Superman. Clark and Lois might have been married in the story - I saw some 192 covers looking around the net that would suggest that.

Anyway - if anyone knows if it available online or in some compilation book, I would appreciate the info.
Lee Semmens
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2007, 10:35:59 AM »

The story has never been reprinted.

Unless you want to wait for the appropriate Showcase Presents: Superman volume (or even longer for the archive), I suggest your best bet is to look in the back-issue shops, or something like eBay.
Aldous
Superman Squad

Downunder

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2007, 03:36:37 AM »

Coincidentally, the image used on this forum's banner is taken from the cover of #194.

Quote from: Lee Semmens
The story has never been reprinted.

Unless you want to wait for the appropriate Showcase Presents: Superman volume (or even longer for the archive), I suggest your best bet is to look in the back-issue shops, or something like eBay.

Lee, I wanted to check if that three-parter ever appeared in any of the K.G. Murrays. I see the first two parts are in Superman Supacomic #96, probably dated the same year as the original comic, but I'm not sure about the concluding part. I'm assuming it would be in #97 but I can't be sure. ("The Death of Lois Lane.") I take it you have the American originals in your collection.
Great Rao
Administrator
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2007, 03:29:28 AM »

I've read Superman #194 and I had no idea that this was the third part of a two-part story!  I've only read it as a stand-alone issue, and thought it worked pretty well, but now I understand that the first two pages are actually a recap of the previous installments.

After doing some research at http://www.comics.org, it looks like the run-down of the story is as follows:

Superman #192:
The Brat of Steel! [Clark Kent's Super-Son! part 1]
Once There Was a Superman! [Clark Kent's Super-Son! part 2]

Superman #193 was a fill-in with a reprint of Siegel's "Death of Superman" novel, but the story from #192 picks up again in #194:

Superman #194:
The Death of Lois Lane! [part 3]

"The bottom line involves choices.  Neither gods nor humans have ever stood calmly in a minefield forever.  Good or evil, they are bound to choose.  And when they do, you will see the truth of all that motivates us.  As a thinking being, you have the obligation to choose.  If the fate of all mankind were in your hands, what would your decision be?  As a writer and an artist, I've drawn my answer."   - Jack Kirby
Lee Semmens
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2007, 11:48:37 AM »

Aldous, I am afraid I can't help you on where the third part of this story (from Superman #194) was reprinted in an Australian Murray comic - though I have little doubt it would have been.

It seems to me, with the Aussie reprint comics that often there was no rhyme or reason to where a given story would appear, and sometimes a continued story would not appear in the next issue, or even the same title, apparently!

I don't if this site can help you though - I didn't have time to go into much research on this particular story - but although it lists Superman Supacomic #97, it doesn't have full details of the contents: http://www.ausreprints.com/content/

Yes, I do have the American originals; in fact I have every Superman from #150-400 - except one (and many earlier ones) - and nearly all the Action Comics from #286-561.

I have relatively few of the Aussie DC reprint comics now (under a hundred, I think). I had many more thirty years, but still a far from complete collection.
Criadoman
Superman Family

« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2007, 04:17:13 AM »

I actually have those above issues in my library in scan format - using a program called CBR Display, you can actually review them on your computer.  If you would like, I can zip the files and send those to you for your reference, and you can search for the CBR display program on-line.

Let me know.

"If I print "She was stark naked"--& then proceeded to describe her person in detail, what critic would not howl?--but the artist does this & all ages gather around & look & talk & point." - Mark Twain
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L