superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonHolliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "THE SPECIAL REPORT!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 03:21:46 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Is it even desirable at this point for the Multiverse to return?  (Read 34713 times)
Super Monkey
Super
League of Supermen

« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2007, 02:29:40 AM »

Captain Marvel wasn't suffering because he had to share the Earth with Superman, he was suffering because lots of bad writers had no idea what to do with him.

They still don't! See current mainstream book: Trails of crapzam!

Thankfully, Jeff Smith got his hands on him and we all will get to read a good Cap story soon Smiley

The return of the Multiverse will not make the current DC Earth go away, it just means that some of the old ones and new Earths will return. For example, the Kingdom Come Earth, Earth-2, maybe more.

« Last Edit: January 20, 2007, 02:58:47 PM by Super Monkey » Logged

"I loved Super-Monkey; always wanted to do something with him but it never happened."
- Elliot S! Maggin
Aldous
Superman Squad

Downunder

« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2007, 05:40:51 AM »

Maybe not "bad" writers, but writers who were not suitable. Captain Marvel just cannot be taken out of his time; is that the problem? He's the 1940s big gun (even bigger than Superman for a time), with THAT being THEN, and THIS being NOW.

I never took it on, that Captain Marvel was part of the same comic book realm as Superman. That's like making Uncle Scrooge's adventures from Carl Barks (among my favourite comics) part of the same realm. (Superman visits Earth D?) It's stupid. Captain Marvel is not part of anything to do with Superman. He was a very special and charming character who belongs in a different part of your brain.

What's this disease which causes every character to be included in the "Multiverse"? It doesn't make sense to me. The multiple Earth concept is brilliant, and one of the best DC creations, but some characters, eg. Captain Marvel, should NOT be a part of it.
Super Monkey
Super
League of Supermen

« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2007, 03:02:47 PM »

What's this disease which causes every character to be included in the "Multiverse"? It doesn't make sense to me. The multiple Earth concept is brilliant, and one of the best DC creations, but some characters, eg. Captain Marvel, should NOT be a part of it.

Call it crossover fever.

The only reason DC created Earth-S was to do that Superman vs Shazam book, which still hasn't been reprinted.

"I loved Super-Monkey; always wanted to do something with him but it never happened."
- Elliot S! Maggin
jamespup
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2007, 03:34:15 PM »

This has even more crossover possibilities:

http://www.theonion.com/content/node/57581?utm_source=slate_rss_1
Michel Weisnor
Action Ace

« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2007, 04:07:49 PM »

"The Onion" ladies and gentlemen.... Lips Sealed

I tend to agree Captain Marvel belongs on Earth-S or completely separate from DCU. That's why I am looking forward to Jeff Smith's Monster Society and any Fawcett reprints.

Post-Crisis, if you examine the integration of Charlton, Fawcett, and Quality characters into DCU, you are left with some good and some bad. As an example, Captain Marvel never seemed to work well while Black Adam fit.   

"Truth, Tolerance, and Justice"
JulianPerez
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2007, 07:41:12 PM »

Quote from: llozymandias
How would DC returnning to the multiverse concept be a threat to the current DCU?  I doubt that DC is going to "split" the current Earth-DC into Earths 1, 2, 4, S, & X.  It's more likely that they would establish that the current DCU is either another parallel universe of the "Pre-Crisis" DC Multiverse, or that the current DCU is part of an entirely separate multiverse.  There is absolutely no guarentee that a new DC Multiverse means the return of any of the DC Multiverses seen during or before the Crisis on Infinite Earths.

I'm actually curious what the plans by Johns, Morrison, Busiek, Simone and the rest are with regards to the multiverse, if indeed that is their plan. My intuition is that it isn't going to go back to the Pre-Crisis status quo with heroes on different earths, but that it will be something stranger and less predictable.

Best Case Scenario is a multiverse is restored, but it is a more intriguing and different kind of animal that makes different stories possible. Note their specific wording, not that the multiverse will come back, but "the multiverse still exists." What does that MEAN?

As I've never thought much of Captain Marvel, I hardly agree he needs a whole earth all to himself because he has to be the SPESHULEST. JLA/AVENGERS established that DC Earth is bigger in area than our earth, and there's room enough for both characters.

I don't blame the singleverse concept for Captain Marvel sinking instead of swimming in recent times, because Cap was floundering without direction even in the days of the multiverse (though I will admit I did enjoy the issue of DC COMICS PRESENTS with Superman and the Marvels vs. Kull).

And anyway, Black Adam seems to be doing fine at present thanks to Johns's ingenious use of him. What's Cap's problem, anyway?

Sure, I'm not the target audience for the Marvel Family and perhaps my criticism can be discounted for that reason (if you ask me the two highest points in comics history, it would be the Steve Gerber DEFENDERS and the Englehart DETECTIVE COMICS), and coming down on terminally retarded, condescending idiocy like the Goatman feels like kicking a dog because it can't do calculus.

Still, the reason I find the Marvels frustrating is not because they are choked by bad ideas that talk down to the audience...but because there are so many GOOD ideas in there that can't find expression...and that perhaps by placing them on the same grounded, science fictiony earth as the JLA and the Green Lanterns and so on, they can be developed to their full potential and played "straight."

Shazamo for example. He has a great look and terrible powers, and Thanos among others has certainly proven that an evil god can make a formidable supervillain. Shazamo has the potential to be truly terrifying an antagonist.

THIS is why I'm not 100% certain giving Cap and his buddies his own earth is good idea: place him back in his old, cartoony context and you can't utilize it all to its full potential.

"Wait, folks...in a startling new development, Black Goliath has ripped Stilt-Man's leg off, and appears to be beating him with it!"
       - Reporter, Champions #15 (1978)
Super Monkey
Super
League of Supermen

« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2007, 11:16:50 PM »

Shazamo?!? Who is that?  Huh?

http://www.marvelfamily.com/WhosWho/default.aspx
http://www.supermanartists.comics.org/fawcett/fawcettframe.htm

- Elliot S! Maggin
Kuuga
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2007, 01:42:37 AM »

]
And anyway, Black Adam seems to be doing fine at present thanks to Johns's ingenious use of him. What's Cap's problem, anyway?

Sure, I'm not the target audience for the Marvel Family and perhaps my criticism can be discounted for that reason (if you ask me the two highest points in comics history, it would be the Steve Gerber DEFENDERS and the Englehart DETECTIVE COMICS), and coming down on terminally retarded, condescending idiocy like the Goatman feels like kicking a dog because it can't do calculus.

Still, the reason I find the Marvels frustrating is not because they are choked by bad ideas that talk down to the audience...but because there are so many GOOD ideas in there that can't find expression...and that perhaps by placing them on the same grounded, science fictiony earth as the JLA and the Green Lanterns and so on, they can be developed to their full potential and played "straight."

Shazamo for example. He has a great look and terrible powers, and Thanos among others has certainly proven that an evil god can make a formidable supervillain. Shazamo has the potential to be truly terrifying an antagonist.

THIS is why I'm not 100% certain giving Cap and his buddies his own earth is good idea: place him back in his old, cartoony context and you can't utilize it all to its full potential.

Johns stuff with Black Adam just seems to be another excuse for more of his cheap gore stunts. It's like the guy really wants to be writing splatter films. Stuff like having his Black Adams new son fly through a guy complete with intestines dangling off the kids shoulder is just stupid and irresponsible. If DC wants to usher in a new age maybe the could start by showing some class. ..and I don't like that we get Isis into the DCU just so she can be Black Adam's fling. I've never been happy with having him as member of the JSA because it's just a rock stupid and nonsensical waste of a good villan.

On the issue of Captain Marvel in "cartoony" context I would agree with your point if it were being done exactly like the 40's. But I think Jeff Smith is going to be serving up some "cartoony" Captain Marvel that will be a blast to read and very preferable to the utter Iron Age BS of Trials. For playing it totally straight,  I would like to see that to but it seems like the only guys in the business capable of that are Dini and Ross on Power of Hope who can find that right balance of wonder and magic to go with the straight faced epic superhero stuff. To cut that sense off completely you basically get what we're seeing in Trials which is like having a textbook on how NOT to do Captain Marvel.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2007, 01:44:15 AM by Kuuga » Logged

CHO-HENSHIN! KAMEN RAIDA, KUUGA!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L