superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonHolliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "THE AUCTION!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 05:09:40 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 2006: the Year of Jimmy  (Read 5338 times)
JulianPerez
Council of Wisdom

« on: January 21, 2007, 09:32:29 AM »

Was 2006 the Year of Jimmy? More than any other year, Jimmy Olsen has been high profile.

There was his scene-stealing role in SUPERMAN RETURNS, where Jimmy got all the best lines in the film.

There was Jimmy's high profile appearance in the best-selling Superman book of the year, ALL-STAR SUPERMAN, with Jimmy transforming into Doomsday and battling Superman.

There was Jimmy Olsen's role in the Busiek/Johns series, "Up, Up and Away" as a funny and wisecracking guy that delivers a lot of exposition.

And then there's the release of SUPERMAN FAMILY SHOWCASE, which collects a ton of Jimmy Olsen stories together.

I'm sure I'm missing a couple things here, but the point is more than any other time, we've had Jimmy on the brain this year. Strange all these factors would converge together.

"Wait, folks...in a startling new development, Black Goliath has ripped Stilt-Man's leg off, and appears to be beating him with it!"
       - Reporter, Champions #15 (1978)
TELLE
Supermanica Council
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2007, 09:42:17 AM »

I would amend your statement to read, "Jimmy's best year since 1974" when his title was canceled and merged into Superman Family (which was in turn canceled in 1982).

Congrats Jimmy!  Although I think the Superman fans would say it might have been the year of Superman!

Everything you ever wanted to
know about the classic Superman:
Supermanica
The Encyclopedia of Supermanic Biography!
(temporarily offline)
DoctorZero
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2007, 07:37:03 PM »

True, Jimmy hasn't gotten that much exposure since his own book folded.

I was always a fan of the Olsen book.  It worked a lot better in my opinion than Lois Lane did.  It's a shame DC doesn't want to give Jimmy a second shot at series stardom.

Super Monkey
Super
League of Supermen

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2007, 09:03:28 PM »

At least we have the Showcase collection, hopefully more will be release in the future.

"I loved Super-Monkey; always wanted to do something with him but it never happened."
- Elliot S! Maggin
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L