superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonSupermanicaHolliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "IT'S REAL!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 05:01:53 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: This is not your Dad's Multiverse!  (Read 14708 times)
nightwing
Defender of Kandor
Council of Wisdom

Semper Vigilans

« Reply #24 on: February 05, 2007, 05:39:42 PM »

Thanks for that last link.  Very interesting reading, especially this paragraph:

What’s interesting to me is that the most successful “OYL” launches from DC, at Comix Experience, have been post-OYL (as a branding exercise), and have been (seemingly) creatively-driven, rather than editorially-driven. We’re doing great with JLA & JSA, with Superman & Action, with Batman & Detective, and with (to a lesser extent because of lateness) Wonder Woman. These are all pretty much cases where the idea was to put a strong “dream team” of creators on a property, rather than having an external event driving things. That’s the only model that works to any significant degree over a long haul.

Wow, so it turns out what readers want is not major events or continuity-shaping, "everything changes" pyrotechnics.  What they want is quality stories written by good writers and drawn by good artists.  Who knew?  Roll Eyes

And as also pointed out, 3 solid years of major crossover events (with more on the way) actually drives readers away rather than attracting new ones.  Another amazing find.

Who wants to bet a year from now DC will be further in the hole and we'll be pointing out the same sorry mistakes again? 

This looks like a job for...
Michel Weisnor
Action Ace

« Reply #25 on: February 05, 2007, 09:17:13 PM »

Thanks for that last link.  Very interesting reading, especially this paragraph:

What’s interesting to me is that the most successful “OYL” launches from DC, at Comix Experience, have been post-OYL (as a branding exercise), and have been (seemingly) creatively-driven, rather than editorially-driven. We’re doing great with JLA & JSA, with Superman & Action, with Batman & Detective, and with (to a lesser extent because of lateness) Wonder Woman. These are all pretty much cases where the idea was to put a strong “dream team” of creators on a property, rather than having an external event driving things. That’s the only model that works to any significant degree over a long haul.

Wow, so it turns out what readers want is not major events or continuity-shaping, "everything changes" pyrotechnics.  What they want is quality stories written by good writers and drawn by good artists.  Who knew?  Roll Eyes

And as also pointed out, 3 solid years of major crossover events (with more on the way) actually drives readers away rather than attracting new ones.  Another amazing find.

Who wants to bet a year from now DC will be further in the hole and we'll be pointing out the same sorry mistakes again? 

Well, isn't that a funny quote from newsarama.  Wink I agree a creator driven series works wonders for DC. However, DC's looking at Marvel's sale numbers with envious eyes....     

Hints of DC's Infinite Crossover

This contains spoilers of Ion # 10 with more questions than answers.

http://forum.newsarama.com/showthread.php?t=100325
« Last Edit: February 05, 2007, 09:20:43 PM by Michel Weisnor » Logged

"Truth, Tolerance, and Justice"
crispy snax
Superman Family

« Reply #26 on: February 05, 2007, 09:25:24 PM »

so i guess dc is just grabbing at straws, trying to make up for the lack of cash, do be fair the whole infinte crisis dragged me in a couple of times.... to the extent of "buying books i dont actually want" like Zero hour..

so this tactic kind of works in a frustrating way
ShinDangaioh
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #27 on: February 09, 2007, 03:04:52 AM »

so i guess dc is just grabbing at straws, trying to make up for the lack of cash, do be fair the whole infinte crisis dragged me in a couple of times.... to the extent of "buying books i dont actually want" like Zero hour..

so this tactic kind of works in a frustrating way
After Infinite Crisis, I left.

I left Marvel long ago.

Showcase I'll buy, since I can get complete stories

I'm stuck with the Indy comics.  Udon's Street Fighter series is fun.  I did like the Street Fighter Legends with Sakura Kasugano.  Monday sees the end of the webcomic Miracle of Science which was a fun romp with Benjam Prester of the Vorstellan Police and Caprice from the gestalt intellect of Mars.

But, all in all, DC and Marvel comics are way to expensive anymore.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L