superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonHolliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "IT'S REAL!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 05:52:05 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Kate Bosworth nominated for "Worst Supporting Actress" Raspberry  (Read 5338 times)
JulianPerez
Council of Wisdom

« on: January 26, 2007, 03:18:40 AM »

http://www.razzies.com/history/27thNoms.asp

It's for her role as "an ultra-lame Lois Lane" in SUPERMAN RETURNS, obviously.

Well, gee, can't say I didn't see this coming. It's that creepy eye of hers, is what it is.

Still, she's a cute kid and I feel like a terrible person for making fun of her. Oh, I'm sure she tried really hard!

This is not the first time a Superman film has been up for a Razzie.

SUPERMAN IV: THE QUEST FOR PEACE was up for 2 Razzies in 1987, with Mariel Hemingway as Worst Supporting Actress, as well as Worst Special Visual Effects (where QUEST FOR PEACE "lost" to JAWS: THE REVENGE). SUPERMAN III got a Worst Supporting Actor nod for Richard Pryor, and Giorgio Moroder's reworking of the music was up for Worst Score.

It's no surprise that SUPERMAN III wasn't up for more. It came out in a watermark year for bad movies, 1983...the same year as THE LONELY LADY, a Pia Zadora film that sweeped the Razzies, "winning" more than any other picture would until SHOWGIRLS legendary sweep in 1995. 1983 was also the year that the Golan-Globus version of HERCULES was released. You know, the one where Lou Ferrigno throws a bear into space.

As yet, though Superman movies have been nominated, not one has yet to (ahem) "win."

"Wait, folks...in a startling new development, Black Goliath has ripped Stilt-Man's leg off, and appears to be beating him with it!"
       - Reporter, Champions #15 (1978)
Klar Ken T5477
Council of Wisdom

Metropolis Prime, NYC, NY USA

« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2007, 11:59:07 AM »

Is it her? The script?  Her eye? No, it's the DIRECTOR!

Kate was a good Sandra Dee in the Bobby Darin/Kevin Spacey biopic "Beyond the Sea"  -- maybe Spacey should've directed her.

WROOOOOOOOOOOOOONG!
jamespup
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2007, 02:43:00 PM »

Initially, my thoughts were that Parker Posey would have been superior as Lois Lane, but again, even she with her considerable talent was not utilized to her best abilities.

Uncle Mxy
Superman Squad

« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2007, 12:22:47 PM »

Lois was written nebulously with no real payoff, and it showed in Kate Bosworth's performance.  How should she feel about her child, who may or may not be super, where she may or may not know about him, and she may or may not know how he was conceived.  What she's supposed to be is the result of a bunch of murky offscreen crap.  I have a hard time -not- blaming writers and direction, here.

Parker Posey is a different matter.  She was just miscast.  That role was meant more for a Pamela Anderson sort than Parker Posey.  Heck, I'm surprised they didn't just reuse the character Eve Teschmacher. 
crispy snax
Superman Family

« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2007, 11:16:20 PM »

the girl in the batman movie annoyed me, do they  really need a romantic subplot in everything?? or are they that desperate to prove that batman is "not gay"

Uncle Mxy
Superman Squad

« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2007, 11:44:58 PM »

the girl in the batman movie annoyed me, do they  really need a romantic subplot in everything?? or are they that desperate to prove that batman is "not gay"
I assume you're referring to the useless appendage in Batman Begins?

Had she actually been portrayed as, say, Julie Madison, with her character being an opportunistic faker (like Holmes' character in Thank You For Smoking), then she could've been much more memorable, relevant. etc.

Permanus
Superman Squad

« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2007, 10:14:54 PM »

The Lois Lane character in Superman Returns was very poorly written, but Bosworth would have been hopelessly miscast in any case, because she's not a particularly good actress. It doesn't help that she is supposed to be the same fiery Lois that Margot Kidder portrayed (and I love Kidder's Lois, I really do. Now, that's the sort of woman Superman would go for), but even beyond that, she couldn't act her way out of a wet paper bag. The fact that she spends much of the film acting against Kevin Spacey, a gifted actor, only serves to highlight her shortcomings. That bit when Spacey tells her his plan for world domination? She ruins that scene completely by her delivery of the line: "But millions of people will die"; it's so flat that Spacey's counter ("Billions!") loses all its impact. What sort of psychopath looks at this untalented little girl and thinks "Lois Lane"? Worse, who set her up to think she was any sort of actress?

Between the revolution and the firing-squad, there is always time for a glass of champagne.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L