superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonHolliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "IT'S REAL!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 01:32:09 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Great enemies from other comics you'd like to see Superman battle?  (Read 15529 times)
JulianPerez
Council of Wisdom

« on: January 30, 2007, 10:09:18 PM »

It's hard to think of enemies that Superman hasn't fought at one time or another.

What about Multi-Man, enemy of the Challengers of the Unknown? It would be a natural to introduce this guy into Superman's existence: just state that he is curious about the properties of Red Kryptonite, and that perhaps it may be something that can allow him to change form predictably, or control his transformations, or perhaps create a new robotic Multi-Woman.

In fact, many of the Challenger Enemies may be interesting to battle Superman. Volcano Man and Kra aren't credible threats, but it would be interesting to see someone like, say, that one guy whose thoughts can become reality. The most interesting thing about a battle like that is that at first, it wouldn't be obvious that he is responsible.

A Doom Patrol enemy that it would be interesting to see battle the Man of Steel would be the Animal-Vegetable-Mineral Man (possibly the most powerful of the Doom Patrol's foes), with his ability to become any animal, plant or object. He can become Kryptonite, and perhaps some quick-growing Kryptonite plants. Superman might have room in his supplies for the Anti-Decay Ray.

Is it possible that the Animal-Vegetable-Mineral Man is somehow related to Jimmy Olsen? Jimmy Olsen is of Swedish descent (he even has a Swedish castle). There may be a connection to Sven Larsen. Are they related? Blood enemies from centuries past? What?

Then you have a being like the Construct. He wouldn't be the first JLA enemy to "jump" to Superman alone: Amazo already blazed that particular trail. Because of the Construct's ability to transfer bodies and his non-corporeality, for Superman, battling the Construct may be a question of brains and good old American pluck; he's not someone that Big Blue can just circle around. (In the aftermath of Busiek's JLA, the Construct may be something wildly different than how Englehart presented him back in 1977, and it might be interesting to see the Construct used as a non-villain.)

Doctor Light is another JLA foe that Superman alone can conceivably battle by himself. Most of Superman's battles with Light are based on a kind of cat-and-mouse game, one that Light triumphs in as a result of ingenuity and overly clever deathtraps.

Lots of the Green Lantern villains (with the exception of yellow or gun-toting guys like Goldface or Sonar) would be plausible challenges to Superman, and in fact, it's strange in many ways that Superman and Sinestro have yet to meet apart from big villain crossovers. Sinestro is a big, unsubtle cosmic enemy; he appears in a space sector with a giant battleship and hundreds of thousands of thunderers at his back; he's the kind of interstellar, "brute force" villain that a smarter Superman can triumph over as a metaphor of brains over brawn.

Then you have Krona, who seeks forbidden knowledge, and is a great outer space enemy. He's a natural for a space opera guy like Supes to come into conflict with at some point or another.

"Wait, folks...in a startling new development, Black Goliath has ripped Stilt-Man's leg off, and appears to be beating him with it!"
       - Reporter, Champions #15 (1978)
Klar Ken T5477
Council of Wisdom

Metropolis Prime, NYC, NY USA

« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2007, 02:27:30 AM »

Suoerman Vs. Galactus - 'nuff said.
Uncle Mxy
Superman Squad

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2007, 03:00:09 AM »

When someone invokes Galactus' Ultimate Nullifier, Pre-Crisis Superman emerges.  Smiley

Superman vs. Ming the Merciless would be fun.

Great Rao
Administrator
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2007, 03:36:05 AM »

Superman Vs. Galactus - 'nuff said.

I was going to make the same suggestion, but then I wasn't sure whether or not this had already been done in a JLA/Avengers crossover.  And wasn't there a Silver Surfer/Superman cross-over a while back?  Surely Galactus must have been in it.

I'd also like to see Superman vs. Doctor Doom, who is pretty similar to Lex Luthor but ultimately far more competent.

"The bottom line involves choices.  Neither gods nor humans have ever stood calmly in a minefield forever.  Good or evil, they are bound to choose.  And when they do, you will see the truth of all that motivates us.  As a thinking being, you have the obligation to choose.  If the fate of all mankind were in your hands, what would your decision be?  As a writer and an artist, I've drawn my answer."   - Jack Kirby
DBN
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2007, 05:39:29 AM »

Superman Vs. Galactus - 'nuff said.

I was going to make the same suggestion, but then I wasn't sure whether or not this had already been done in a JLA/Avengers crossover.  And wasn't there a Silver Surfer/Superman cross-over a while back?  Surely Galactus must have been in it.

I'd also like to see Superman vs. Doctor Doom, who is pretty similar to Lex Luthor but ultimately far more competent.

Dan Jurgens wrote a sloppy Superman/Fantastic 4 crossover some years back in which Kal became Galactus' new herald.
Gangbuster
Superman Squad

« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2007, 02:30:23 PM »

I'd like to see some old enemies from Superman comics make it into Superman comics. Busiek has been doing this lately, but there is a very interesting-yet-ignored back catalog of villains in Superman's rogues gallery.

"Trying to capture my wife, eh? That makes me SUPER-MAD!"

-"Superman", 1960

Kuuga
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2007, 08:22:29 PM »

While not exactly from another comicbook, I wouldn't mind seeing Superman go up against any version of the space monster Baltan from the various Ultraman series. It'd be cool to either see the Bronze Age Superman team up with the original Ultraman or maybe the modern version with Himeya Jun/Ultraman Nexus.  Grin

CHO-HENSHIN! KAMEN RAIDA, KUUGA!
Super Monkey
Super
League of Supermen

« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2007, 12:16:23 AM »

Yes, there was a Silver Surfer/Superman Crossover but I never read it.

Superman Vs Thanos?

I don't know. I can't think of anyone  Undecided

"I loved Super-Monkey; always wanted to do something with him but it never happened."
- Elliot S! Maggin
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L