superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonHolliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "SONG OF THE EARTH!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 01:44:23 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Early Supergirl  (Read 15389 times)
binarysunrise
Superman Family

« Reply #16 on: February 05, 2007, 12:34:35 AM »

It sounds fantastic! I don't suppose there's any chance of your putting the whole story up on your site? (It's a terrific site, by the way, thanks!)

Yea, I'll try to use this one as my sample storyline from this period (though it is quite long). Not sure when I'll get around to it, trying to finish another years worth of indexing in order to prepare questions to ask the writer of these stories...

The Speeding Bullet
   http://www.thespeedingbullet.com
--an archive of Superman newspaper strips--
Michel Weisnor
Action Ace

« Reply #17 on: February 06, 2007, 03:51:55 PM »

I love the M on her chest. It's like when Galactus wore a big G.  Grin

That's a fabulous find and again thanks for The Speeding Bullet!

"Truth, Tolerance, and Justice"
Great Rao
Administrator
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #18 on: February 06, 2007, 05:13:36 PM »

It took me a while to notice that she's not only the first Supergirl - she's the only Supergirl to wear Superman-like tights and boots instead of a skirt.  I think I prefer it.

« Last Edit: February 06, 2007, 06:13:06 PM by Great Rao » Logged

"The bottom line involves choices.  Neither gods nor humans have ever stood calmly in a minefield forever.  Good or evil, they are bound to choose.  And when they do, you will see the truth of all that motivates us.  As a thinking being, you have the obligation to choose.  If the fate of all mankind were in your hands, what would your decision be?  As a writer and an artist, I've drawn my answer."   - Jack Kirby
jamespup
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #19 on: February 06, 2007, 05:31:46 PM »

Excellent point...I agree.....a far superior look !
TELLE
Supermanica Council
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #20 on: February 07, 2007, 03:02:45 AM »

trying to finish another years worth of indexing in order to prepare questions to ask the writer of these stories...

binary, sounds like fun!  I would love to ask him about politics: was he conscious of any class issues when he was writing the strip?  is superman a working class hero or something else?

Everything you ever wanted to
know about the classic Superman:
Supermanica
The Encyclopedia of Supermanic Biography!
(temporarily offline)
dmat
Supermen of America

« Reply #21 on: February 10, 2007, 01:49:18 AM »

That strip is amazing!  I guess the strips were had a different standard of censorship than the comic books had with the CCA?  I can't picture the lap comment making it past the CCA only 3 years after its inception.

Her costume does look pretty good.  There was a brief period in Adventure Comics (#412 and 413) where Linda also sported a costume more closely resembling Superman's, complete with blue tights and red boots, and no skirt.

dto
Action Ace

« Reply #22 on: February 10, 2007, 05:55:16 PM »

Yes, the Earth-1 Supergirl once wore an all-blue bodysuit with red gloves, boots and cape in two issues of Adventure Comics.  I didn't care for the S-shield belt buckle, since it was too repetitious with that larger shield immediately above.  (And I still didn't care too much for the similiar look in "Superman Returns".)

Another Supergirl who wore a blue bodysuit was Louise-L in Superman Family #215 - 216 (February - March 1982).  The Kara Zor-El from Elseworlds Finest:  Supergirl & Batgirl (September 1998) was very similar, though lacking a belt.  And more recently there was Lara Lane-Kent, Mxyzptlk’s “Child of Hope”, in Adventures of Superman #638 (May 2005).

As for "Supergirls" wearing a more exact copy of Superman's costume (red briefs and all), there was the “Turnabout Trap” Superwoman in Superman #349 (July 1980), and Laurel, the Superwoman who first appeared in Superman/Batman #23 (November 2005).  The first was definitely a creation of Mxyzptlk, and the second most likely also.

DTO
MatterEaterLad
Council of Wisdom

Silver Age Surfer

« Reply #23 on: February 10, 2007, 10:34:57 PM »

The similarities and differences in the strips and comics is really interesting.  The Speeding Bullet continues to amaze.
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L