superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonK-Metal Visitor!Holliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "GENERAL DESTRUCTION!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 11:23:23 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: At least he's not a Satanist  (Read 13463 times)
Super Monkey
Super
League of Supermen

« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2007, 12:19:17 AM »

You know it takes real Faith to be a Christian in a Marvel or DC universe, I mean there are tons of Gods running around and appearing on Earth all the time, yet the one which they believe in, never shows up and never appears anywhere.

I always thought that was a bit weird.

"I loved Super-Monkey; always wanted to do something with him but it never happened."
- Elliot S! Maggin
Uncle Mxy
Superman Squad

« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2007, 01:17:16 AM »

A couple generations ago, I'd argue that there was more of a recognizable distinction amongst the practicers of Christian doctrines within the U.S. than there is now.  I think TV' and migration trends have smeared things a bit.  Today, I doubt most people growing up today have particular traits they assign to, say, Lutherans versus Methodists.  Certainly, some religions still have more of a "flavor" to them than others -- Mormons, Pentecostals, Dutch Reformed, etc. but there's less religious "identifyability" overall.  And I think that's where Maggin is coming from.

Of course, I'm no sociologist or comparative religion studier by any stretch (though I just watched Jesus Camp).

jamespup
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2007, 04:33:24 AM »

I think a distinction needs to be made here between what faith a person was raised in, and regardless of beliefs, continues to have weddings, funerals, etc. in the setting they are comfortable with (and maybe for the sake of older relatives), and the ACTUAL beliefs and faith of the various characters
Great Rao
Administrator
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2007, 05:17:47 AM »

You know it takes real Faith to be a Christian in a Marvel or DC universe, I mean there are tons of Gods running around and appearing on Earth all the time, yet the one which they believe in, never shows up and never appears anywhere.

Shortly after the time of Jesus Christ, some Buddhist council was considering adding him to the list of "official incarnations of the Buddha."  But then they realized that his story was so powerful, that he would completely take over and alter the religion; so they decided against it.

It's the same thing with the DCU.  If Jesus were ever to show up, even if only in a guest appearance, every other character would instantly become an extraneous second rate second stringer.

And imagine the fan debates!  "How come Jesus doesn't throw all the nuclear weapons into the sun?"  "What's Jesus' religion?" "Who's more powerful, Jesus or the Hulk?"

All that over some lines on a piece of paper...
« Last Edit: February 03, 2007, 05:40:22 AM by Great Rao » Logged

"The bottom line involves choices.  Neither gods nor humans have ever stood calmly in a minefield forever.  Good or evil, they are bound to choose.  And when they do, you will see the truth of all that motivates us.  As a thinking being, you have the obligation to choose.  If the fate of all mankind were in your hands, what would your decision be?  As a writer and an artist, I've drawn my answer."   - Jack Kirby
Super Monkey
Super
League of Supermen

« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2007, 09:51:18 PM »

Shortly after the time of Jesus Christ, some Buddhist council was considering adding him to the list of "official incarnations of the Buddha."  But then they realized that his story was so powerful, that he would completely take over and alter the religion; so they decided against it.

It's the same thing with the DCU.  If Jesus were ever to show up, even if only in a guest appearance, every other character would instantly become an extraneous second rate second stringer.

And imagine the fan debates!  "How come Jesus doesn't throw all the nuclear weapons into the sun?"  "What's Jesus' religion?" "Who's more powerful, Jesus or the Hulk?"

All that over some lines on a piece of paper...

I don't remember Jesus being super strong like Superman.

Jesus was suppose to show up in that infamous Swamp Thing story.

Satan seems to show up a lot in comics, but not the good guys. Besides Samson who appeared in many Superman and Jimmy Olsen tales. I believe Grant Morrison had Angels show up once in JLA but that was post-crisis.

"I loved Super-Monkey; always wanted to do something with him but it never happened."
- Elliot S! Maggin
Permanus
Superman Squad

« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2007, 02:40:26 PM »

When I first saw the subject line for this thread, I thought Jullian was still trying to defend Geoff Johns.

I failed to mention it all that time ago when I started this discussion, but I really got a kick out of this comment. Just thought I'd say it now.

Between the revolution and the firing-squad, there is always time for a glass of champagne.
Ruby Spears Superman
Superman Family

« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2007, 04:30:32 PM »

Since this thread was moved all the way back up the chain of command I guess I'll throw my two cents in:

Recently the comics have been focusing more on his faith history and I don't see it making all that much difference to his personality. Regardless of what kind of faith upbringing he had, his career as Superman would no doubt throw his faith into question. Everyday he has to deal with people of all kinds of belief systems all over the universe. Since no holy book ever mentions life on other planets, this would no doubt make reconciliation with these other beliefs difficult. How do you hold onto your earth faith when you have Thangarians, Oans, Tamarans, and others of different belief systems throughout the universe?

Couple this with his alien origins as well. First your raised a certain faith here on earth and then you find out that you are not only not from earth but that the planet your from also had it's own faith. That certainly would be hard to take. Whatever religious upbringing he may have had, his career as Superman has probably shattered it. He may just believe in one universal god that takes care of all religions equally. 
AMAZO
Superman Emergency Squad

« Reply #15 on: November 08, 2007, 05:07:19 PM »

The existence of a website called The Religious Affiliation of Comic Book Characters confirms my suspicions that there is something for everyone on the Internet, and yields the information that Superman is a Methodist. Or at least, Clark Kent is. Unless Methodists worship Rao, it occurs to me that Superman's dual identity extends to his religion as well - Clark and Superman actually have different faiths.

Anyway, this website should keep me entertained for quite some time.

Huh. My money was on Santeria....

A GENIUS IN INTELLECT-
A HERCULES IN STRENGTH
A NEMESIS TO WRONG-DOERS-
The SUPERMAN!
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L