superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonHolliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "SONG OF THE EARTH!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 06:27:38 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Is this a blessing or a curse?  (Read 6726 times)
Kuuga
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2007, 07:27:15 PM »

Timm and Dini are too much of Batman fans to do powered heroes right.

I'm not saying they can't, but consider the first season of Justice League and Wimpyman(aka Superman)

Well it's important to keep in mind that unlike the previous series Dini was not one of the regular writers.

..and in the first season Superman especially suffered for it greatly. As much as I admire and adore Bruce Timms work on Batman and Superman, with Timm and with Dwayne McDuffie there have been moments when I've almost found myself questioning their sincereity when they say they like the character. This is not to say there isn't some really darn good animation with Superman in the series (when you get into the JLU seasons anyway) or that he doesn't have some moments where he shines. But there are others that sort of cast a shadow.

They both seem to feel a need to apologize for the characters morality and power levels to a degree that sometimes has him veering from wimp to hothead and back again, or having his physical victories undercut with the villan getting the last good line or knocking him off camera. Then there is of course what at least on the surface seems to be some severe Bat-Bias. If Superman overshadowed other heroes in Super-Friends then there's alot of times in the JLU series where rather than really fixing such a problem, the role of the do-anything all the time every time guy went to Batman. Which I've always found rather irksome because the same people who complain that Superman is too powerful seem to have no objection whatsoever to Batman being as if he gets to read his own scripts before the show starts and prepares plans accordingly. So when Superman is invincible it's lame but when Batman is invinicible it's ok? Come on!

Out of all the Timm works JL/JLU is easily the most hit and miss. Theres alot I love about it conceptually, there are some episodes that are really cool and just plain fun. I was even cool with the Cadmus arc right up until the "Clash" episode where when you think about it, the entire plot hinges on Superman being an OOC dunce just so they can do the Kingdom Come fight.

Bruce should of also stuck with his previous instincts and did Aquamans classic look. Screw all the parodies.

As for live action, Bruce Timm himself is an animator so I'm not sure where his skills would be applied for a live action production outside of maybe storyboarding. Paul Dini I think could handle scriptwriting. I liked his work on the tabloid sized issues he did with Alex Ross, Spirit of Truth and Power of Hope in particular so I could see him penning a good Wonder Woman.

CHO-HENSHIN! KAMEN RAIDA, KUUGA!
DoctorZero
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2007, 12:27:00 AM »

Whedon made comments about Wonder Woman's costume needing changing because it wasn't "practical".  He also seemed more interested in casting foreign actresses with hard to pronounce names for the part.  Although he's done some good work, I got the feeling he was going to do a Cathy Lee Crosby type Wonder Woman film.

Uncle Mxy
Superman Squad

« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2007, 11:55:31 AM »

Whedon made comments about Wonder Woman's costume needing changing because it wasn't "practical".  He also seemed more interested in casting foreign actresses with hard to pronounce names for the part.  Although he's done some good work, I got the feeling he was going to do a Cathy Lee Crosby type Wonder Woman film.
If you're talking Morena Baccarin, she certainly could be a fine choice depending on the script.  I suspect you'll have to find an unknown otherwise if you wanted to find just the right "fit", and I doubt that a major motion picture gets made with an unknown which is why you have the likes of Jessica Alba as Invisible Girl.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L