superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonHolliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "GENERAL DESTRUCTION!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 01:48:20 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Why is it some people don't like Superman?  (Read 13837 times)
TELLE
Supermanica Council
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2007, 08:19:04 PM »

I am only sad part of the time --the rest of the time I optimistically look forward to the revolution when everyone will dress in Superman costumes and their will be giant statues of Jerry and Joe everywhere!

Everything you ever wanted to
know about the classic Superman:
Supermanica
The Encyclopedia of Supermanic Biography!
(temporarily offline)
Sword of Superman
Superman Family

« Reply #17 on: February 15, 2007, 07:04:23 AM »

Basically pessimistic people do not like Superman and optimistic do like Superman.

Super Monkey are you saying that Byrne is a pessimist guy? Wink
Sword of Superman are you saying that Byrne likes Superman? Wink
Dear Uncle Mxy but is obvious!  Shocked

"Since we didn't want to use our science on your world, Shayera and I decided we would fight Earth-crime with Earth-weapons. She always found it amusing that I felt so comfortable with them" - Katar Hol
alabama assassin
Superman Fan

« Reply #18 on: May 08, 2007, 12:45:27 PM »

i think that like any great icon or organization (yankees, cowboys, notre dame, and usa for example) people will always loathe whoever is on top and try to knock them down.  thankfully superman has all of us to continue upholding his legacy. 
Ruby Spears Superman
Superman Family

« Reply #19 on: May 13, 2007, 02:59:21 AM »

I don't think Superman is hated any more then any other comic book character, I just think more people have heard of him. I think Wolverine is overrated, but there are several people who think he should be the only thing on the shelf. I guess metal claws that come out of your hands is a cooler power then being able to fly or shoot lasers out of your eyes for some people. Huh?

The hatred for Superman in my opinion stems more from the idea that he is a block of wood that has no personality, bearing in mind that most of these people making this accusation don't read him on a regular basis; assuming they ever did. Superman is seen as the "establishment", the "man", the father figure always telling you to eat your vegetables. Our pop culture frowns on conformity and Superman is seen as the poster child for "how your supposed to be". Other people see him as perfect and like the idea of flawed heroes. Me, it just depends on what I'm in the mood for. I think you can still have a universe with a god-like superman and a flawed Peter Parker at the same time.   
tyciol
Jimmy Olsen Fan Club

« Reply #20 on: May 14, 2007, 10:24:43 AM »

Well one of the reasons is probably the 60s silliness, which all chars went through. During his first run, like Batman, Supes could be pretty brutal at times, people forget that.

Nowadays, when they compare him to other heroes, he may not seem human enough. He's basically the ultimate guy, seemingly with no weaknesses almost able to trounce anyone. Special situations or god-level opponents have to be introduced to beat him up, otherwise it's a philosophical type situation which is great, but hard when people want to see their heroes get beat up and come back.

It's sort of like... normal heroes like Batman, or even Spider-Man, can get hurt by normal stuff, the same way we can, so it's cool when they get back up from it. But you need guys like DD to take out Superman, or some strange made-up crystal. These are threats we've never experienced and have trouble relating to.

It's probably the whole clean-cut humble sort of attitude which can put people off, in the past we aspired to it, and we still sort of do... but you want to see a more realistic serious side sometimes. I think lately Supes has been showing this though, he's been pretty badass and saying stuff like "yeah I actually like being Super-Man, and I AM better." so he seems realer and less stuck-up. The problem is, most people don't read the comics and only know the general mythos, and don't know about how much he has changed in all sorts of ways over the ages.

-Ty
Rugal 3:16
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #21 on: May 16, 2007, 11:42:35 AM »

Kids these days pick up a book like fifty two and see black adam tearing up someone's arm off and think "that's cool!" (how cool would they think if it were their arms ripped off)

And these are the same kinds who are mostly on the stage of puberty where they become rebels, and has to think everything is logical and rational until they eventually grow out of it.

Otenami Haiken to iko ka
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L