superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonBatman!Holliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "IT'S REAL!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 08:46:47 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Action (48 Page Giant) Annual #10 Spoilers  (Read 16916 times)
Michel Weisnor
Action Ace

« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2007, 03:34:26 AM »

I LOVED this issue, but I'm confused about Kandor. In a recent issue of Legion of Super-Heroes (which I also enjoyed), Supergirl visted the enlarged Kandor, which was full of Kryptonians. How then could the Tolos version (albeit altered slightly) still exist? Are there two Kandors? It was mentioned elsewhere in the issue that Kandor was "lost" (which could mean several things) and that Brainiac enjoyed shrinking cities. I don't think it's a case of the Legion and Superman teams being out of sync either, since Mon-El has been shown up in both of them. Brainiac is confirmed to show up in the Johns/Donner run, perhaps this might be addressed then.

In any case, I think I'll ask the editor.

Over on Geoff Johns' message board, Kurt Busiek said that it was intentional and all would be revealed in time.

At DC, continuity appears irrelevant.....52...heh  Cheesy

"Truth, Tolerance, and Justice"
NotSuper
Action Ace

« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2007, 02:59:44 PM »

I LOVED this issue, but I'm confused about Kandor. In a recent issue of Legion of Super-Heroes (which I also enjoyed), Supergirl visted the enlarged Kandor, which was full of Kryptonians. How then could the Tolos version (albeit altered slightly) still exist? Are there two Kandors? It was mentioned elsewhere in the issue that Kandor was "lost" (which could mean several things) and that Brainiac enjoyed shrinking cities. I don't think it's a case of the Legion and Superman teams being out of sync either, since Mon-El has been shown up in both of them. Brainiac is confirmed to show up in the Johns/Donner run, perhaps this might be addressed then.

In any case, I think I'll ask the editor.

Over on Geoff Johns' message board, Kurt Busiek said that it was intentional and all would be revealed in time.
Ah. Thanks for the info. Also, kudos to Kurt Busiek for answering fan questions.

Many people want others to accept their opinions as fact. If enough people accept them as fact then it gives the initial person or persons a feeling of power. This is why people will constantly talk about something they hate—they want others to feel the same way. It matters to them that others perceive things the same way that they do.
Great Rao
Administrator
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #18 on: February 18, 2007, 10:48:05 PM »

At DC, continuity appears irrelevant.....52...heh  Cheesy

I disagree.  I think Kurt's comment confirms what I've been saying.

After Crisis on Infinite Earths, DC was surprised at the fan backlash that resulted when they "threw out the baby with the bathwater."  DC then spent twenty years trying to move on, but the ill-will and criticism directed at them refused to die down.

They learned their lesson and this time around they are throwing nothing out.  They realize now that the fans take it as a personal insult when they do.

So it all happened in one form or another.  Everything.  The pre-crisis stories and the post-crisis stories.

This is a hallmark of good writing - this is what fans have been claiming is a sign of good writing and have been clamoring for.  Fans spent a lot of time saying that "hard reboots" which "sweep everything out the door" are just lazy writing by bad writers who don't want to be bothered to know old continuity or to have to think.

And now DC is taking up the challenge.

My familiarity with the Tolos Kandor is a little fuzzy and I don't recall if there were ever any story details over how the city was discovered, why it was in a bottle, or why it was so small.  According to the description on the Superman Homepage, the city does in fact come from Krypton.

So it seems clear that a lot of plot seeds are being laid in Action Annual #10:  Brainiac likes to shrink cites; Kandor went missing on Krypton so was presumed destroyed; etc.

It's pretty easy to connect the dots here.  I'm just curious to see how DC does it.

« Last Edit: February 18, 2007, 10:51:43 PM by Great Rao » Logged

"The bottom line involves choices.  Neither gods nor humans have ever stood calmly in a minefield forever.  Good or evil, they are bound to choose.  And when they do, you will see the truth of all that motivates us.  As a thinking being, you have the obligation to choose.  If the fate of all mankind were in your hands, what would your decision be?  As a writer and an artist, I've drawn my answer."   - Jack Kirby
Super Monkey
Super
League of Supermen

« Reply #19 on: February 19, 2007, 12:34:41 AM »

I am guessing that at the end they will reveal that certain comics actually take place on different Earths.

Two different Kandors, from two different parallel worlds.

"I loved Super-Monkey; always wanted to do something with him but it never happened."
- Elliot S! Maggin
DBN
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #20 on: February 19, 2007, 04:19:18 AM »

Come to think of it, didn't a miniature alien race come to inhabit the Kandor replica that Superman kept in his fortress after he resized the original Kandor?
NotSuper
Action Ace

« Reply #21 on: February 19, 2007, 04:05:38 PM »

Come to think of it, didn't a miniature alien race come to inhabit the Kandor replica that Superman kept in his fortress after he resized the original Kandor?
Yep. It's funny how things work out sometimes.

Many people want others to accept their opinions as fact. If enough people accept them as fact then it gives the initial person or persons a feeling of power. This is why people will constantly talk about something they hate—they want others to feel the same way. It matters to them that others perceive things the same way that they do.
Permanus
Superman Squad

« Reply #22 on: February 19, 2007, 04:44:59 PM »

So it all happened in one form or another.  Everything.  The pre-crisis stories and the post-crisis stories.

It always seemed to me that if there's an infinite number of universes, there's got to be at least one where the Crisis never took place and therefore, well, you see what I mean.

Between the revolution and the firing-squad, there is always time for a glass of champagne.
nightwing
Defender of Kandor
Council of Wisdom

Semper Vigilans

« Reply #23 on: February 19, 2007, 07:04:32 PM »

They learned their lesson and this time around they are throwing nothing out.  They realize now that the fans take it as a personal insult when they do.

Good.  There was never any reason why it shouldn't have all been canon, really.  All they had to do was say, "Now we're going to focus on an Earth you haven't seen before" instead of "the Earths you liked never existed and your old comics are moot."  They could still have started all the flagship titles over at #1...I think it would have been fun watching history repeat itself on a new Earth (I know I enjoyed watching Earth-Prime get a Superboy, for example), but when you throw out earlier versions altogether, you're putting an awful lot of pressure on yourself to come up with something actually BETTER.  Which in almost every case, DC has been unable to do.

This is a hallmark of good writing - this is what fans have been claiming is a sign of good writing and have been clamoring for.  Fans spent a lot of time saying that "hard reboots" which "sweep everything out the door" are just lazy writing by bad writers who don't want to be bothered to know old continuity or to have to think.

It's more than that. It's a way to tell the same stories over again and pass them off as your own.  Byrne tweaked the Lori Lemaris love story and Bizarro's origin...he did NOT create the characters or even recreate them in any major way.  And his take on Superman's origin, while certainly different enough to cheese me off, was not nearly innovative enough to qualify as anything more than an edit to the Seigel and Shuster version. And yet you just know he got paid tons more than Jerry and Joe ever did just for basically taking their ideas and doing a glorified edit.

I for one am sick to death of re-tellings of the origin story, and consider them the height of laziness.  What I wish is that instead of going after Superboy and "Smallville," which are full of characters Jerry had nothing to do with, the Seigel family would instead sue for royalties on every telling of the Superman origin, since that tale is definitively, demonstrably and substantially his work, and despite all the tweaking over the decades remains very close to what he first wrote.  DC should be forced to pay the Seigels through the nose every single time they retell the story. I'm convinced that's about the only thing that will stop it.

This looks like a job for...
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L