superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonComing MIRACLE MONDAY 2017!Holliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "THE SPECIAL REPORT!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 08:13:24 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Action (48 Page Giant) Annual #10 Spoilers  (Read 17107 times)
Great Rao
Administrator
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #24 on: February 19, 2007, 07:12:17 PM »

What I wish is that instead of going after Superboy and "Smallville," which are full of characters Jerry had nothing to do with, the Seigel family would instead sue for royalties on every telling of the Superman origin, since that tale is definitively, demonstrably and substantially his work, and despite all the tweaking over the decades remains very close to what he first wrote.

Who's to say the Siegels aren't doing both?  Last I heard, that case on the Superman copyright-reversion was still going on.  I presume that under normal circumstances both cases would have been been ruled on long ago, but WB's coffers are deep.

"The bottom line involves choices.  Neither gods nor humans have ever stood calmly in a minefield forever.  Good or evil, they are bound to choose.  And when they do, you will see the truth of all that motivates us.  As a thinking being, you have the obligation to choose.  If the fate of all mankind were in your hands, what would your decision be?  As a writer and an artist, I've drawn my answer."   - Jack Kirby
Super Monkey
Super
League of Supermen

« Reply #25 on: February 20, 2007, 01:27:26 AM »

They won Superboy, which is why Superboy will never come back and be called Superboy and wear the suit. DC refuses to pay them a red cent.

"I loved Super-Monkey; always wanted to do something with him but it never happened."
- Elliot S! Maggin
llozymandias
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #26 on: February 20, 2007, 02:13:58 AM »

Well, Superboy as a concept was created by Jerry & Joe.  DC rejected it when they first brought it up.  They ( Jerry & Joe) did create the Kents, Lois Lane, & Lex Luthor.

John Martin, citizen of the omniverse.
Great Rao
Administrator
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #27 on: February 20, 2007, 05:16:54 AM »

They won Superboy, which is why Superboy will never come back and be called Superboy and wear the suit. DC refuses to pay them a red cent.

So if the Siegels decide to license the character to Marvel Comics, we'll get:

Superboy, Spider-Man, and Johnny Storm out for a night on the town in the Fantasticar;
Superboy tries out for the Fantastic Four;
The Superboy Robots vs. the Doctor Doom Robots;
Superboy vs. X-Factor;

and a Superboy movie that's really cool except for the parts where he wears a motorcycle helmet whenever he flies.

"The bottom line involves choices.  Neither gods nor humans have ever stood calmly in a minefield forever.  Good or evil, they are bound to choose.  And when they do, you will see the truth of all that motivates us.  As a thinking being, you have the obligation to choose.  If the fate of all mankind were in your hands, what would your decision be?  As a writer and an artist, I've drawn my answer."   - Jack Kirby
DBN
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #28 on: February 20, 2007, 06:01:26 AM »

Except the part where Marvel could call him "Superboy", DC owns the name.
DBN
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #29 on: February 20, 2007, 06:07:47 AM »

The issue is still in litigation, I believe that Warner Bros. filed an appeal. Which technically, they should win. Did Jerry not sell the rights to Superboy back to DC a few years after he won them the first time?
Great Rao
Administrator
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #30 on: February 20, 2007, 09:14:09 PM »

The issue is still in litigation, I believe that Warner Bros. filed an appeal. Which technically, they should win. Did Jerry not sell the rights to Superboy back to DC a few years after he won them the first time?

It's similar to the situation with Superman.  Because of the passage of time, the copyright on Superboy has reverted back to the Siegels.  The fact that Jerry sold Superboy to DC is legal proof that the character is different from Superman, and thus that these are distinct rights that are being debated.

WB's appeal is about attempting to dispute the court decision and dispute the proper effect of the laws.  This is new territory for all concerned - WB is probably also afraid of losing additional characters down the line.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L