superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonHolliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "IT'S REAL!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 09:32:25 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ale Garza on Supergirl.  (Read 8416 times)
Kuuga
Last Son of Krypton

« on: February 08, 2007, 04:55:29 PM »

http://forum.newsarama.com/showthread.php?t=100707

"I approach her for what she is – a somewhere between 16-18 years old, bitter, jaded teenage girl."

Yeah, because there is such a shortage of jaded and bitter in comics today. Roll Eyes

This is a shame because I kinda like the art, it even makes Michael Turners awful costume design kinda work but this is very wrong headed IMO.

CHO-HENSHIN! KAMEN RAIDA, KUUGA!
Super Monkey
Super
League of Supermen

« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2007, 11:24:45 PM »

I don't understand why DC allows writers who do not come even close to understanding their characters to write them, it just doesn't make sense.

"I loved Super-Monkey; always wanted to do something with him but it never happened."
- Elliot S! Maggin
Michel Weisnor
Action Ace

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2007, 03:38:26 PM »

Kara's been through a lot since her reintroduction. So much so, there is no stability. If it isn't Darkseid or her evil doppleganger, it's writers and artists jumping on then off. Readers already don't like her due to PAD's Supergirl. Her costume is too revealing for some and her characterization reminds many of a superpowered Britney Spears. By the time, she's given a chance to grow, no one will read Supergirl....

What a challenge!  Grin Grin Grin

« Last Edit: February 09, 2007, 03:53:52 PM by Michel Weisnor » Logged

"Truth, Tolerance, and Justice"
Kuuga
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2007, 07:32:43 PM »

I shed no tears for the loss of PAD or the previous convoluted incarnation. I miss Ed Benes though. Sure a little *too* cheese cakey at times...okay alot of times. But overall I thought he drew a good looking Supergirl.

I was also insulted that rather than learn anything from what the animated series did in terms of having a streamlined origin for Supergirl that gave you all the benefit of Kara while still keep Superman as the "last son", they just slapped the Kara In-Ze costume on Linda Danvers. So DC watches STAS and what do they get out of it? "Hey, bare midiffl! We can use that!"

But leave it to DC to take the perfectly straight foward idea of Supergirl and find a way to screw it up.

CHO-HENSHIN! KAMEN RAIDA, KUUGA!
dto
Action Ace

« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2007, 08:48:46 AM »

Kuuga, Kara In-Ze was introduced in 1998 during "Superman: The Animated Series".  Peter David's "Supergirl" series was already in its second year, so it was far too late to change Linda Danvers' origin to an updated "Silver Age" version.

It was "Supergirl #51" (December 2000) when Linda was forced to cobble together a new costume after losing her ability to transform.  (Matrix and a majority of her powers were stripped from Linda in the previous issue.)  I highly suspect DC noticed the growing popularity of Kara In-Ze and decided to standardize the Supergirl "look" in order to boost sales of the comic, totally disregarding that Peter David's series was far darker and convoluted than what fans of the animated Kara might have expected.  Peter David probably did the best he could to justify the costume change, incorporating it into his (overly long) "Search for Supergirl" arc that preceeded the final "Many Happy Returns".

But DC had earlier dismissed a more "traditional" Kara -- in Dan Jurgens' "Superman vs. Aliens" (July - September 1995), we met a "Kara" from "Argo City".  Apparently Dan Jurgens (who was also writing the "Superman" titles at the time), planned to introduce Kara into the mainstream DC Universe after this crossover, possibly first in his new "Teen Titans" series (the short-lived version featuring Argent, Joto, Risk, etc.).  But DC declined, maybe because she was either TOO similar in concept to the original "forgotten" Kara Zor-El, or perhaps her debut in an "Aliens" crossover made this Kara too closely connected to non-DC characters.  (One could imagine sticky licensing issues every time her origin was revisited.)  And then there was the problem of how to replace Matrix, who was around since 1988.

So Peter David's idea to merge Matrix into a dying Linda Danvers was green-lighted instead, and the new series began in 1996.  Meanwhile, any plans to use Dan Jurgens' "Kara" was abandoned.

DTO
Uncle Mxy
Superman Squad

« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2007, 04:26:01 PM »

Kara's been through a lot since her reintroduction. So much so, there is no stability. If it isn't Darkseid or her evil doppleganger, it's writers and artists jumping on then off. Readers already don't like her due to PAD's Supergirl.
Had PAD called it Fallen Angel instead Supergirl at the get-go, it would've fared better.  I think it suffered only with people who were expecting some rendition of Kara.  (By contrast, Matrix Supergirl just unconditionally sucked.)  It didn't help that about a year later, S:TAS's Kara In-Ze came in and the reaction was "why are you wasting time shoving this to us as Supegirl".  For younger readers coming in fresh, it was pretty well-liked, but that wasn't enough to sustain it as a Super* comic.  (It has been quite enough to keep it going as Fallen Angel, AFAICT.)

TELLE
Supermanica Council
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2007, 03:32:11 PM »

Some thoughts on the current Supergirl and DC's mishandling from a female former DC employee:

http://occasionalsuperheroine.blogspot.com/2007/02/supergirl-redux-so-proverbial-st-has.html

Everything you ever wanted to
know about the classic Superman:
Supermanica
The Encyclopedia of Supermanic Biography!
(temporarily offline)
DBN
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2007, 03:21:15 AM »

I don't understand why DC allows writers who do not come even close to understanding their characters to write them, it just doesn't make sense.

Simply look who edits the book. Other than the fill-in issue (and the new co-writer), every writer on the title worked under Berganza during his abysmal run on the Super-titles.

The solution is simple: Replace Berganza, bring all the Super-Family titles under one editor, and try to get Mark Waid, Kurt Busiek, or Jim Krueger (the guy currently writing Justice) on the title.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L