superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonHolliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "THE SPECIAL REPORT!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 07:59:53 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ale Garza on Supergirl.  (Read 8503 times)
Great Rao
Administrator
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2007, 04:09:22 AM »

I think treating Kara as a strong young female character instead of as a lost Gen-X(Y?Z?) cynical teen would be a very good move on DC's part.

It's possible to write good quality girl-oriented comics for young people - just look at some of the stories in "Archie" or "Katy Keen."  The Krypto cartoon is intended for young kids, similarly Supergirl could be a family friendly book intended for young teenagers.

Last I heard, Archie comics were dominating newsstand and supermarket sales.  There's probably a reason for it.

That blog posting was pretty insightful - it shows that comics books are being destroyed for the same reason that all other media is being destroyed - short sighted bean counters pandering to visceral thrills, resulting in short-term gain but massive long-term loss.  They're forgetting that they need to invest in creating a market - ie enjoyable quality material that people will want to come back for.

"The bottom line involves choices.  Neither gods nor humans have ever stood calmly in a minefield forever.  Good or evil, they are bound to choose.  And when they do, you will see the truth of all that motivates us.  As a thinking being, you have the obligation to choose.  If the fate of all mankind were in your hands, what would your decision be?  As a writer and an artist, I've drawn my answer."   - Jack Kirby
jamespup
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2007, 04:54:54 AM »

true....what's considered a tremendous best-selleing title these days, 100,000 ?

10% of what Captain Marvel sold in the 40's
Uncle Mxy
Superman Squad

« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2007, 01:55:58 PM »

Some thoughts on the current Supergirl and DC's mishandling from a female former DC employee:

http://occasionalsuperheroine.blogspot.com/2007/02/supergirl-redux-so-proverbial-st-has.html
So I blame *you* for consuming an hour of my life reading the above blog!  Smiley

What interests me is that the decision she's criticized for that led to all this, Ed Benes on Supergirl, makes perfect sense.  Sure, Benes Supergirl(s) had sex appeal and cheesecake in spades.  But quite aside from that, they were also actually -cute-.  You didn't look at Supergirl's face, quite aside from any other attributes, and think she was a guy with long hair, which was what I would see in Leonard Kirk's work.  That "generally cute" look is something that's largely been missing from the Paris Hilton/Tara Reid waif rendition.  I don't think Supergirl needs to be some pneumatic figure to succeed, but I don't think you capture the Supergirl people want to see unless you can do "cute". 
Michel Weisnor
Action Ace

« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2007, 02:10:54 PM »

That blog posting was pretty insightful - it shows that comics books are being destroyed for the same reason that all other media is being destroyed - short sighted bean counters pandering to visceral thrills, resulting in short-term gain but massive long-term loss.  They're forgetting that they need to invest in creating a market - ie enjoyable quality material that people will want to come back for.

"Catering to the tastes of the lowest members of society- the people who want sex, violence, razzle-dazzle, and constant titillation of their
senses-is what makes civilizations go down the drain. History proves this; when literature and art start to degenerate, it's a sign that the
public is not getting what it needs but what it needs least: pandering to the wants of the lowest, most mindless of its members." - C.C. Beck

SUPERGIRL #17
Written by Joe Kelly & Mark Sable
Art by Alé Garza & Marlo Alquiza
Cover by Garza & Richard Friend
Guest-starring the JLA and Wonder Girl as Kara battles friends and foes who have been taken over by evil entities from the Phantom Zone!
On sale May 2 • 32 pg, FC, $2.99 US

http://images.newsarama.com/dccomics/May07/b/SG_Cv17_solicit.jpg

"Truth, Tolerance, and Justice"
Supergrl5013
Superman Family

"Be happy, not crappy"- my personal quote

« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2007, 04:11:19 PM »

Kuuga, Kara In-Ze was introduced in 1998 during "Superman: The Animated Series".  Peter David's "Supergirl" series was already in its second year, so it was far too late to change Linda Danvers' origin to an updated "Silver Age" version.

It was "Supergirl #51" (December 2000) when Linda was forced to cobble together a new costume after losing her ability to transform.  (Matrix and a majority of her powers were stripped from Linda in the previous issue.)  I highly suspect DC noticed the growing popularity of Kara In-Ze and decided to standardize the Supergirl "look" in order to boost sales of the comic, totally disregarding that Peter David's series was far darker and convoluted than what fans of the animated Kara might have expected.  Peter David probably did the best he could to justify the costume change, incorporating it into his (overly long) "Search for Supergirl" arc that preceeded the final "Many Happy Returns".

But DC had earlier dismissed a more "traditional" Kara -- in Dan Jurgens' "Superman vs. Aliens" (July - September 1995), we met a "Kara" from "Argo City".  Apparently Dan Jurgens (who was also writing the "Superman" titles at the time), planned to introduce Kara into the mainstream DC Universe after this crossover, possibly first in his new "Teen Titans" series (the short-lived version featuring Argent, Joto, Risk, etc.).  But DC declined, maybe because she was either TOO similar in concept to the original "forgotten" Kara Zor-El, or perhaps her debut in an "Aliens" crossover made this Kara too closely connected to non-DC characters.  (One could imagine sticky licensing issues every time her origin was revisited.)  And then there was the problem of how to replace Matrix, who was around since 1988.

So Peter David's idea to merge Matrix into a dying Linda Danvers was green-lighted instead, and the new series began in 1996.  Meanwhile, any plans to use Dan Jurgens' "Kara" was abandoned.
ohh..so that's why  they screwed around with  Kara's origin.....i get it..Matrix needed to be replaced...just wondering...why can't they get the original artists from the Peter David sereis to do some of the art?...i actually liked Gary Frank and Leonard Kirk's stuff...Ale Garza is an interesting choice after Ian Churchil.....but the thing that confuses me is why is he (Ale Garza) making her look younger, (like 16-18) , while Ian's work looks like she's 18-21?.. .

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L