superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonHolliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "IT'S REAL!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 11:08:59 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Jack Kirby  (Read 3698 times)
TELLE
Supermanica Council
Council of Wisdom

« on: February 08, 2007, 05:09:52 PM »

Just noticed Rao's sig in another thread.  Jack Kirby died 13 years ago this week.  We still miss him.

Mark Evanier announced today that one of his 2 upcoming Kirby projects, a giant art book called "Kirby: King of Comics" will be published by Abrams in the fall.

"The bottom line involves choices.  Neither gods nor humans have ever stood calmly in a minefield forever.  Good or evil, they are bound to choose.  And when they do, you will see the truth of all that motivates us.  As a thinking being, you have the obligation to choose.  If the fate of all mankind were in your hands, what would your decision be?  As a writer and an artist, I've drawn my answer."   - Jack Kirby

Everything you ever wanted to
know about the classic Superman:
Supermanica
The Encyclopedia of Supermanic Biography!
(temporarily offline)
Kuuga
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2007, 05:57:51 PM »

Other Kirby quotes:

"Speaking for myself, I *know* there is violence. But I like to show violence in a graceful way, a dramatic way, but never in it's true way. There is something really stupid in violence as violence."

"You'll notice there is no realism in whatever I do because they are things as I like to see them. I just like to see them that way. That's my bag and it's my fantasy. You want to sue me, great."

Long live the King.

« Last Edit: February 08, 2007, 10:33:19 PM by Kuuga » Logged

CHO-HENSHIN! KAMEN RAIDA, KUUGA!
Super Monkey
Super
League of Supermen

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2007, 01:23:12 AM »

Anyone has that crazy drawing of Mickey Mouse that he did for that Disney artbook that had famous artists draw Mickey?

I love the King!

"I loved Super-Monkey; always wanted to do something with him but it never happened."
- Elliot S! Maggin
Super Monkey
Super
League of Supermen

« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2007, 12:55:09 PM »

Erik Larsen just posted a new Article, this time with a focus on The King:

http://www.comicbookresources.com/columns/index.cgi?column=ofo

"I loved Super-Monkey; always wanted to do something with him but it never happened."
- Elliot S! Maggin
Michel Weisnor
Action Ace

« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2007, 11:01:50 PM »

http://comicbookresources.com/columns/?column=20

Oops, am I bad.  Tongue

I never heard of Kamandi until only a year ago. Story sounds pretty trippy. Instead of Archives, I hope DC releases more classics in the Absolute or Omnibus lines. I would love to see a Kamandi Omnibus.       
« Last Edit: February 11, 2007, 01:59:44 AM by Michel Weisnor » Logged

"Truth, Tolerance, and Justice"
TELLE
Supermanica Council
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2007, 12:15:41 PM »

With the benefit of adult hindsight, I don't agree with Larsen that Kamandi "gelled" any more than his other 70s projects at DC but I do think it is a fun, unpretentious book that is great for kids in terms of plot, characterization, and even dialog. And of course the art is vintage 70s Kirby --bold and beautiful.   The value of the series is its longevity --the idea was allowed to run its course and Kirby could exhaust a few plotlines as he perhaps intended-- and in the great concepts.  Even the fact of the series' original conception (Planet of the Apes redux) makes it more charming and personal.  Kirby really liked those movies! (I do to!)

For me, his best work was yet to come --Captain America and especially the Eternals stand as the best of Kirby's post 4th World work.

Everything you ever wanted to
know about the classic Superman:
Supermanica
The Encyclopedia of Supermanic Biography!
(temporarily offline)
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L