superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonHolliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "SONG OF THE EARTH!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 04:34:06 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: the superman chronicles!  (Read 5402 times)
crispy snax
Superman Family

« on: February 13, 2007, 11:11:15 AM »

so ive been buying  these (yup all 1 of them) and im wondering is it possible that they are going to live up to their promise? every superman comic? is that possible? i mean just everything up to 1985 would be good enough or even just 1958! however they do seem to becoming out dreadfully dreadfully slow so i just want to see if anyone else is emotionally invested in this pipe dream...

also another thing.... the showcase presents stuff... same question... carrying on to the crisis or is it just what they consider "the wonder years" of said character

jamespup
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2007, 12:30:03 AM »

I just picked up Volume Two, and yes, I am indeed emotionally invested in this.

Volume Three is supposedly out in a few months, but so far, what's the time acceleration here, 3 to 1 ?

I'd love to see double that, say 6 a year, but that's not likely

Gangbuster
Superman Squad

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2007, 12:48:54 PM »

It depends on how well they sell, I guess.

For example, I bought the Man of Tomorrow Archives, vol. 1 and loved them. I didn't buy the second because I was waiting to see if there would be a series, but they seem to be discontinued at the moment.

"Trying to capture my wife, eh? That makes me SUPER-MAD!"

-"Superman", 1960

Super Monkey
Super
League of Supermen

« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2007, 08:38:50 PM »

I wish they would collect the late 40's to late 50's Superman stories.

Those rarely ever get reprinted.

Right now I am supporting the Showcase series. I don't care for the Golden Age version of Superman as much as the 60's stuff.

"I loved Super-Monkey; always wanted to do something with him but it never happened."
- Elliot S! Maggin
crispy snax
Superman Family

« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2007, 07:48:54 AM »

i agree with the super monkey! i think that, the golden age stories made superman the pop culture icon that he is, since its in these stories that he does the whole uber man shtick, he is sorta like an american ideal. but the silver age stories created the rich character mythos, and made him a fan favourite in the comic book industry (even if he was popular before) and to be honest, i  prefer the silver-bronze age superman over the golden one any day, but the golden one still has charm

btw, in reading the first volume... wasnt superman bloody political back in the day? some of these strips you could cut out and paste in one of those underground political newspapers and they wouldnt look out of place! im not complaining but it seems kinda odd that here he is solving the problems of a generation when 15 years later he spends most of his time faffing about in metropolis messing with his friends.. i suppose he solved all the worlds problems by then  Grin
jamespup
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2007, 01:24:10 AM »

My dad who is 80 thought it was great to see the reprints because he actually had a copy of the Worlds Fair comic when he was a kid and it brought back a lot of memories for him

buy'em as gifts !  Support the series !

crispy snax
Superman Family

« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2007, 09:31:49 AM »

buy em in sets of three! one to keep, one to trade, and one to read!!!!

(does anyone actually DO  that?)
jamespup
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2007, 01:29:51 AM »

I do actually know one guy who does just that, but with current issue comics, not TPBs

Actually, he does it as one to keep, one to sell someday, and one to read.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L