superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonHolliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "THE SPECIAL REPORT!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 01:14:14 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: the earth-2 chronicles  (Read 8611 times)
crispy snax
Superman Family

« on: February 13, 2007, 11:17:49 AM »

is it just me or are DC re releasing all of their stock on Earth-2? i mean first there was the crisis on multiple earth tpbs (and thankfully continuing) and then the power girl tpb and now we have the justice society and Huntress coming out in shiny paperback cover form! ive been enjoying these so far... although in the justice society tpb i felt the JSA  where a bit misrepresented... i mean you have all these superhero vets who have been doing the job for decades yet in this book they can hardly seem to keep it together, arguing more like they are the x men than old golden age heroes of yore, at one point hawkman says somehting like "we cant even call ourselves men!" heavy with the self loathing... but apart from that iz good (i like powergirl, she has issues)

also the Huntress. has anyone read it? is it any good?
nightwing
Defender of Kandor
Council of Wisdom

Semper Vigilans

« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2007, 12:55:24 PM »

Glad to hear I'm not the only one who had issues with the way those JSA stories were written.  They really could act like a bunch of angst-ridden teenagers, and it absolutely did not jibe with the "seasoned vet" personas that drew me to them in the first place.

I really didn't enjoy the subplot where Alan Scott goes from mogul to bum, or especially the one where Bruce Wayne turns against his old pals.  All this Marvelized sturm und drang never rang true when applied to members of "The Greatest Generation". The result, for me, was to make the JSA the equivalent of those afternoon soaps where 50-something divas and retired male models carry on like pubescent dimwits on Dawson's Creek.

Can't beat that Wally Wood take on Superman, though.

I'm enjoying the glut of E-2 material right now, with a real highlight being the "Crisis on Multiple Earths: The Team Ups" book.  Looking forward to volume two this spring!

This looks like a job for...
Spaceman Spiff
Superman Family

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2007, 12:53:30 AM »

IIRC, the 1970s All-Star Comics began as part of "Conway's Corner" (along with the Freedom Fighters, the Secret Society of Super-Villains, and a few others). All these books had a definite "Marvel-flavor" that Gerry Conway transplanted to DC. I had a love/hate attitude towards ASC back in the day. I loved seeing the JSA, but I hated that they weren't the JSA I expected. As I've ranted elsewhere, Conway -- and later Paul Levitz -- ignored much of the prior JSA history. For example, when Hourman showed up in ASC, everyone commented on his retirement. But he had been active in 3 of the last 4 JLA/JSA team-ups.

As I've gotten older, I can enjoy these more. Kind of like how I enjoy some of the old Marvel Essentials. At least the JSA got a better shake than they did in their later series. Well, except for Batman.

Quote from: nightwing
I'm enjoying the glut of E-2 material right now, with a real highlight being the "Crisis on Multiple Earths: The Team Ups" book.  Looking forward to volume two this spring!
YAY! I'm eager for that one, too. I don't think the Atom/Atom team-ups have ever been reprinted.
TELLE
Supermanica Council
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2007, 03:24:50 AM »

"Conway's Corner".  Thanks for that.  New to me.  I wonder who coined it?

I think they should go back to calling the JSA "The Super Squad" --a  clunky new name given to the All-Star Squadron so as not to confuse readers of the JLA.

Everything you ever wanted to
know about the classic Superman:
Supermanica
The Encyclopedia of Supermanic Biography!
(temporarily offline)
Spaceman Spiff
Superman Family

« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2007, 05:48:51 AM »

Quote from: TELLE
"Conway's Corner".  Thanks for that.  New to me.  I wonder who coined it?
Conway himself used the phrase to refer to his editorial domain at DC. After getting the boxes down from the closet shelf, I found it mentioned on the LoC page in Man-Bat #2 (another, deservedly short-lived, Conway-edited title). I know the phrase was used elsewhere. Conway left DC after just a few months, so the Corner only had a brief existence.
Spaceman Spiff
Superman Family

« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2007, 03:01:06 AM »

Google turned up these references to "Conway's Corner":
http://superman.nu/dcmb/seventies/?part=30
http://www.geocities.com/cheeksilver/ssosv.htm
http://www.supermanartists.comics.org/dchistory/DCHISTORY-5.htm
http://dcboards.warnerbros.com/web/thread.jspa?threadID=2000100774&messageID=2003306511
TELLE
Supermanica Council
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2007, 06:09:53 AM »

Now all we need is the wikipedia article!
 Smiley

Reminds me of my search for the origins of "Cap's Kooky Quartet".

Everything you ever wanted to
know about the classic Superman:
Supermanica
The Encyclopedia of Supermanic Biography!
(temporarily offline)
crispy snax
Superman Family

« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2007, 07:37:52 AM »

"crisis on multiple earths: the team ups" was pretty good , however im looking forward to the Superboy/ Teenage Kal-L team up that happend late seventies/ early 80s... its a story that is mentioned suprisingly little since you would think it would be a key turning point for the Earth-2 superman... or is it considered a mopee?

anybody read this one?
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L