superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonHolliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "THE AUCTION!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 18, 2024, 11:53:04 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Action Comics is out of Action  (Read 44969 times)
DBN
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2007, 08:17:24 AM »

Making them Zombies is just really stupid idea much like the Byrne version, why you say, because it goes against everything that the character is suppose to be. Jerry Siegel's version was the best.

Why? The Byrne Bizarro was one of the better revisions. Quite a tragic character, come to think of it. Imperfect duplicate created by Luthor to be a weapon that ends up sacrificing its artificial life to restore Lucy Lane's sight.
jamespup
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2007, 09:06:12 AM »

Always great fun to quote from Parallax Lost !
Super Monkey
Super
League of Supermen

« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2007, 05:49:28 PM »

Making them Zombies is just really stupid idea much like the Byrne version, why you say, because it goes against everything that the character is suppose to be. Jerry Siegel's version was the best.

Why? The Byrne Bizarro was one of the better revisions. Quite a tragic character, come to think of it. Imperfect duplicate created by Luthor to be a weapon that ends up sacrificing its artificial life to restore Lucy Lane's sight.

What does that have to do with Bizarros?

What's next a serious take on Bat-Mite? Forbush-Man?

"I loved Super-Monkey; always wanted to do something with him but it never happened."
- Elliot S! Maggin
DBN
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #19 on: February 17, 2007, 11:06:14 PM »

What does that have to do with Bizarros?

What's next a serious take on Bat-Mite? Forbush-Man?

Why don't you ask Alan Moore, he was the one who turned Bizarro into a genocidal maniac and Mxy into a manipulating murderer.

Say what you will about the Byrne (and later) Bizarro(s), but atleast they never killed anyone. Unlike, Moore's, Loeb's, and Geoff Johns' versions.
Great Rao
Administrator
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #20 on: February 17, 2007, 11:56:37 PM »

Byrne Bizarro was one of the better revisions. Quite a tragic character, come to think of it. Imperfect duplicate created by Luthor to be a weapon that ends up sacrificing its artificial life to restore Lucy Lane's sight.

If I recall correctly, the very first Bizarro story, which introduced the character and appeared in an issue of Superboy, involved a similar sort of pathos.  I don't recall the details though.

Regardless, I agree that given Geoff Johns' track record - and his comments about his upcoming story - he'll make even the Byrne Bizarro look like Mr. Rogers in comparison.

"The bottom line involves choices.  Neither gods nor humans have ever stood calmly in a minefield forever.  Good or evil, they are bound to choose.  And when they do, you will see the truth of all that motivates us.  As a thinking being, you have the obligation to choose.  If the fate of all mankind were in your hands, what would your decision be?  As a writer and an artist, I've drawn my answer."   - Jack Kirby
TELLE
Supermanica Council
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #21 on: February 18, 2007, 12:16:08 AM »

The Byrne Bizarro is just a rehash of the first Siegel Superboy story, with one or two new additions --the original was full of pathos and all the more impressive as it was written in the 1950s and was essentially a children's story (not to mention, the complexity of any work of art that involves Siegel, Superboy, and a copy of Superboy --a sort of metacommentary on the experience of Siegel losing control of his own   creation --Siegel was the Mary Shelley of kid's comics).

Everything you ever wanted to
know about the classic Superman:
Supermanica
The Encyclopedia of Supermanic Biography!
(temporarily offline)
Super Monkey
Super
League of Supermen

« Reply #22 on: February 18, 2007, 12:42:38 AM »

the Superboy Bizarro appeared once, he is no more the true version as is the 30's Superman who killed is the true version of Superman. It is no excuse to have Superman start killing villains now, same with Bizarro.

Bizarro is and should be a gag funny comedy character, that is the version which is the true version. If people didn't love that version we wouldn't keep coming up with wacky Bizarro versions of people and things. Try it, it's fun and that's the whole point.

If you don't want funny Superman story, then create a new monster and make it tragic rather than trying to make a comedy character something which it is not suppose to be.

Why must every revision led to ultra-violent versions of nonviolent characters?

That only worked ONCE, with Marvelman, then never again. Yet, people will always try to recreate and capture that magic, but they never will. There will never be another Watchmen, or DKR, so please just give it up. Not even Frank Miller could do another DKR and make it as good as the 1st. Why does everyone else think they could?

For the record, the treatment of Bizarro in that Alan Moore story was something that I didn't like, but at least it wasn't suppose to be canon. See even Alan Moore himself couldn't do it! LOL.

« Last Edit: February 18, 2007, 12:50:05 AM by Super Monkey » Logged

"I loved Super-Monkey; always wanted to do something with him but it never happened."
- Elliot S! Maggin
Kuuga
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #23 on: February 18, 2007, 01:13:23 AM »

the Superboy Bizarro appeared once, he is no more the true version as is the 30's Superman who killed is the true version of Superman. It is no excuse to have Superman start killing villains now, same with Bizarro.

Bizarro is and should be a gag funny comedy character, that is the version which is the true version. If people didn't love that version we wouldn't keep coming up with wacky Bizarro versions of people and things. Try it, it's fun and that's the whole point.

If you don't want funny Superman story, then create a new monster and make it tragic rather than trying to make a comedy character something which it is not suppose to be.

Why must every revision led to ultra-violent versions of nonviolent characters?

I know I evoke the animated series alot. I do. ..but this another one of those ideas where I thought their take was a perfect compromise. The character is still comedic, he's even very sympathetic but there is still tension since you basically have in him what happens when Supermans powers don't have a properly developed intellect to guide them. He could be funny *and* dangerous but without going to silly or horrifically graphic extremes.

CHO-HENSHIN! KAMEN RAIDA, KUUGA!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L