superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonHolliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "THE AUCTION!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 18, 2024, 11:36:10 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Action Comics is out of Action  (Read 44967 times)
Super Monkey
Super
League of Supermen

« Reply #48 on: February 21, 2007, 12:12:41 AM »

"Grant Morrison actually has talent."

I guess that's explains All-Star Superman. It also explains why I always take your opinions with a massive grain of salt.

BTW, there is a BIG difference between me refusing to BUY his comics and me not reading them, I have read enough to be able to know not to read anymore and that it is something I rather not support with my money.

If he is the best thing to happen to DC then all hope is lost.

The only thing he has going for himself is that he sells a lot of copies (for today's standards anyway).

"I loved Super-Monkey; always wanted to do something with him but it never happened."
- Elliot S! Maggin
Superman Forever
Superman Family

« Reply #49 on: February 21, 2007, 01:46:06 AM »

The Krypton Companion book from TwoMorrows made clear that even in the Bronze Age that were writers who really understood and loved Superman, like Maggin and Bates, and writers who wanted to do a Marvel version, like Gerry Conwey, Martin Pasko and Jim Shooter.

Mark Waid and Grant Morrison are the new Elliot S! Maggin. Kurt Busiek is heir of Bates.

That leaves Johns as one of the Marvel guys...
nightwing
Defender of Kandor
Council of Wisdom

Semper Vigilans

« Reply #50 on: February 21, 2007, 01:31:23 PM »

Well, I think that pretty much sums it up. 

A scan of Julian's old posts will reveal he pretty much prefers a "Marvel" take on Superman, and in fact believes that the migration of Marvel writers to DC in the 70s is the only thing that saved the company from the doldrums of the Silver Age.

I, on the other hand, believe pretty much the opposite.  But that's what makes horse races.

This looks like a job for...
Kuuga
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #51 on: February 21, 2007, 04:34:39 PM »

I'm not sure any of the Marvel guys would gore the characters out the way Johns does.

CHO-HENSHIN! KAMEN RAIDA, KUUGA!
Great Rao
Administrator
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #52 on: February 21, 2007, 05:01:21 PM »

I agree, I think this analogy is doing a disservice to Marvel.

I'd say he's one of the E.C. guys.

"The bottom line involves choices.  Neither gods nor humans have ever stood calmly in a minefield forever.  Good or evil, they are bound to choose.  And when they do, you will see the truth of all that motivates us.  As a thinking being, you have the obligation to choose.  If the fate of all mankind were in your hands, what would your decision be?  As a writer and an artist, I've drawn my answer."   - Jack Kirby
nightwing
Defender of Kandor
Council of Wisdom

Semper Vigilans

« Reply #53 on: February 21, 2007, 05:10:39 PM »

I wonder.  Have you guys seen that "Marvel Zombies" trash?

Hard to imagine a gorier or more disrespectful use of one's characters than that.

This looks like a job for...
Superman Forever
Superman Family

« Reply #54 on: February 21, 2007, 05:29:03 PM »

I've read the first issue of Marvel Zombies. Al least it's intended to be trash.

The miniseries Spider-Man: Reign, the atepted Dark Knight Returns of Marvel Comics, on the other hand...
Great Rao
Administrator
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #55 on: February 21, 2007, 05:59:45 PM »

I wonder.  Have you guys seen that "Marvel Zombies" trash?

Hard to imagine a gorier or more disrespectful use of one's characters than that.

The actual analogy was

... there were writers who really understood and loved Superman, like Maggin and Bates, and writers who wanted to do a Marvel version, like Gerry Conwey, Martin Pasko and Jim Shooter.

Mark Waid and Grant Morrison are the new Elliot S! Maggin. Kurt Busiek is heir of Bates.

I was talking about the traditional Marvel guys mentioned above: Conway, Pasko, and Shooter.

In that sense, I think the analogy is doing a disservice to Marvel.  Johns is nothing like any of them.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2007, 06:01:38 PM by Great Rao » Logged

"The bottom line involves choices.  Neither gods nor humans have ever stood calmly in a minefield forever.  Good or evil, they are bound to choose.  And when they do, you will see the truth of all that motivates us.  As a thinking being, you have the obligation to choose.  If the fate of all mankind were in your hands, what would your decision be?  As a writer and an artist, I've drawn my answer."   - Jack Kirby
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L