superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonHolliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "THE AUCTION!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 18, 2024, 10:16:30 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Action Comics is out of Action  (Read 44964 times)
MatterEaterLad
Council of Wisdom

Silver Age Surfer

« Reply #64 on: March 14, 2007, 06:48:13 PM »

On the price issue, when I was buying 12 and 15 cent comics in the late 60s, a paperback novel was 50 cents.  So 3.99 comic and a 7.99 paperback are semi-comparable given that the quality of comic paper, ink etc. has improved and the binding and printing in paperbacks has as well.

No that I personally like the current comic quality, I much preferred the old newsprint and cheap ink - reminded me to enjoy them and not take them too seriously.
nightwing
Defender of Kandor
Council of Wisdom

Semper Vigilans

« Reply #65 on: March 14, 2007, 07:24:22 PM »

Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked

Holy spit, I'm glad I don't read this stuff.

All things considered, I don't think "Mature Audiences" is the right tag, though.  "Older" maybe, but hardly mature.

This looks like a job for...
Super Monkey
Super
League of Supermen

« Reply #66 on: March 14, 2007, 10:54:19 PM »

what is mature about that? Huh?

So I guess it isn't Johns fault since he is just mindlessly following along with what everyone else is doing?

o...k...

"I loved Super-Monkey; always wanted to do something with him but it never happened."
- Elliot S! Maggin
Great Rao
Administrator
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #67 on: March 15, 2007, 12:22:19 AM »

A bit off-topic, but it just goes to show you why DC needs a rating system similar to Marvel or why the Comic Code needs to be strictly enforced. Examples in recent months:

I agree, I would like a rating system that makes sense.  I used to be able to trust the CCA seal, but not anymore.  I don't think any of the individual comics you describe should get the same rating as an issue of Archie.  There needs to be "G" and "PG" equivalents for comic books. 

The industry needs to publicly publish what the CCA guidelines are - and then use the seal when the comic meets those guidelines, and don't use it when it doesn't.  Right now no one has any clue what it even means.

Potential readers (and parents!) deserve to be warned about certain things.  Just because a few people like sickness, doesn't mean that everyone should have to read it.

« Last Edit: March 15, 2007, 12:53:25 AM by Great Rao » Logged

"The bottom line involves choices.  Neither gods nor humans have ever stood calmly in a minefield forever.  Good or evil, they are bound to choose.  And when they do, you will see the truth of all that motivates us.  As a thinking being, you have the obligation to choose.  If the fate of all mankind were in your hands, what would your decision be?  As a writer and an artist, I've drawn my answer."   - Jack Kirby
Super Monkey
Super
League of Supermen

« Reply #68 on: March 15, 2007, 12:35:28 AM »

A bit off-topic, but it just goes to show you why DC needs a rating system similar to Marvel or why the Comic Code needs to be strictly enforced. Examples in recent months:

I agree, I would like a rating system that makes sense.  I used to be able to trust the CCA seal, but not anymore.  I don't think any of the individual comics you describe should get the same rating as an issue of Archie.  There needs to be "G" and "PG" equivalents for comic books. 

The industry needs to publicly publish what the CCA guidelines are - and then use the seal when the comic meets those guidelines, and don't use it when it doesn't.  Right now no one has any clue what it even means.

Potential readers deserve to be warned about certain things.  Just because a few people like sickness, doesn't mean that everyone should have to read it.

here is what it used to mean:

1954 Code highlights:

# Crimes shall never be presented in such a way as to create sympathy for the criminal, to promote distrust of the forces of law and justice, or to inspire others with a desire to imitate criminals.
# Scenes of excessive violence shall be prohibited. Scenes of brutal torture, excessive and unnecessary knife and gunplay, physical agony, gory and gruesome crime shall be eliminated.
# All scenes of horror, excessive bloodshed, gory or gruesome crimes, depravity, lust, sadism, masochism shall not be permitted.
# All lurid, unsavory, gruesome illustrations shall be eliminated.

isn't that nearly every comic today Wink

"I loved Super-Monkey; always wanted to do something with him but it never happened."
- Elliot S! Maggin
MatterEaterLad
Council of Wisdom

Silver Age Surfer

« Reply #69 on: March 15, 2007, 12:39:46 AM »

Just change the meaning of "excessive" and "unnecessary" and you're good to go... Wink
TELLE
Supermanica Council
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #70 on: March 15, 2007, 02:59:54 AM »

back in the 80s when they still thought superhero comics were for kids, a ratings system was also discussed.  funny how many of us now seem to think wertham was right! :0

story about finding an Iron Man comic for a 6 year old:

http://www.elegantmess.net/snap/2007/02/24/iron-kids/

Everything you ever wanted to
know about the classic Superman:
Supermanica
The Encyclopedia of Supermanic Biography!
(temporarily offline)
DBN
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #71 on: March 15, 2007, 03:34:42 AM »

Potential readers (and parents!) deserve to be warned about certain things.  Just because a few people like sickness, doesn't mean that everyone should have to read it.

And that saddens me, the mainstream titles used to be books that could be enjoyed by all-ages. One of my sons is of comic-reading age and I cannot fully share my hobby with him as my Father did with me.

Thankfully, the Millar collection of Superman Adventures and the Showcase edition books are out there.

The industry likes to complain about lost readership all the time to other media outlets, but they have no one to blame but themselves because they shut off a majority of the market.

And every time someone steps up and says something to DC Editorial about the problem, they always point to the Johnny titles. Well, they haven't put forth any effort into the Johnny titles since Mark Millar was writing Superman Adventures and when Dini/Timm did some work on the Batman Adventures.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L