superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonHolliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "THE AUCTION!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 04:05:33 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [11]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Action Comics is out of Action  (Read 44985 times)
Superman Forever
Superman Family

« Reply #80 on: March 16, 2007, 01:10:32 AM »

That Geoff Johns guy we're trashing wrote once one of the best all-ages super-hero comics ever: Star and Stripes. It was a lot of fun, really different from his current work. The first arc will be collected on TPB and I recommed it. And believe me when I say it was a Johns super-hero book for all ages.
Michel Weisnor
Action Ace

« Reply #81 on: March 16, 2007, 03:22:57 AM »

That Geoff Johns guy we're trashing wrote once one of the best all-ages super-hero comics ever: Star and Stripes. It was a lot of fun, really different from his current work. The first arc will be collected on TPB and I recommed it. And believe me when I say it was a Johns super-hero book for all ages.

I never got around to reading Johns' Stars & S.T.R.I.P.E. I'll have to check it out.

My criticism of Johns' work is pretty direct and simple. He's got real talent but uses violence like a crutch. It's most of the time unnecessary and distracts the reader from overall satisfaction.

"Truth, Tolerance, and Justice"
jamespup
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #82 on: March 17, 2007, 12:22:21 AM »

Although the price comparison works regarding comics and paperbacks, in general BOTH of those prices seem to have risen considerably higher than other items......anyone recall what a daily newspaper went for during the 12-15 cent comic era?   I can get a hamburger off the dollar menu, i seem to recall they were about a quarter during that time.

also, my father didn't bristle about giving me a quarter every once in a while for me to get two comics and a penny change, because in his mind, they had only gone up 2 cents since he was a kid.

regardless of the drop in page count.
ShinDangaioh
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #83 on: March 17, 2007, 08:07:28 PM »

The comment about Japananese comics, I'll take a shot at.

Yes, there are ultra-violent comics and those that really glorify objification of women.  Rape Man: Rapist for Hire comes to mind here.

There is also those comics that pander to the kidies, such as Hamtaro

But there is a wide range of comics in between those.

Zenmai Jikake no Tina for eample is a sweet little story that has no need for violence or sex. 

Guyver is violent, but not to the levels that currrent DC comics are.  The death count is up there, but not that blatant. 

DC comics is up to Fist of the North Star(Your body will explode in ten seconds)

Slayers has violence, since it is sword and fantasy, but not truly extreme.  Sure there are jokes about 'that time of the month' and Lina's chest sixe, but that is pretty much as far as it goes when it comes to sexual situations.

Ah! My Goddes has been going on for years and we are still waiting for Keichii and Belldandy to kiss each other.

Japan doesn't really have a nudity taboo, so any nudity gets ignored.

I'm not really trashing Johns.  I'm trashing DC's refusal to have any other genres.  This ultra-violent stuff should be in Vertigo(that's what the imprint was created for).  Kiddie stuff like Power Puff Gilrs, Dexter's Lab, Scooby-Doo and others in the Johnny DC line.  And stuff inbetween in the mainstream. 

DC is maintaining that there are only two genres.  The kiddie stuff like Scooby-Doo and the gore fest that is Infinite Crisis and there is nothing inbetween
Super Monkey
Super
League of Supermen

« Reply #84 on: March 17, 2007, 09:20:21 PM »

Manga is also read by far, far, far more people than American comics. Comics in Japan are as common as Newspapers are here in the US.

DC makes superhero comics and that's it. They do have some other non-hero lines, but DC is all about Batman, Superman and the rest. These are all suppose to be comics for all ages, but that is no longer the case.

Of course, it is NOT Johns fault 100%, clearly he is just following the current threads, trust me, if DC didn't want their comics to be gore encrusted mindless crapfests, then the editors would never ever let them get made in the 1st place.

There are other types of comics in the US besides Superheroes!!! You know some of which FAR OUTSELL any superhero comic being made today.

Real mature comic book do not feature superheroes.

I mean these of course: http://www.time.com/time/2005/100books/0,24459,graphic_novels,00.html

Neither do real children's comics! Children's picture books and things like Harry Potter has taken over that segment.

"I loved Super-Monkey; always wanted to do something with him but it never happened."
- Elliot S! Maggin
crispy snax
Superman Family

« Reply #85 on: March 17, 2007, 10:39:42 PM »

oh wow

that list includes dark night returns... which i was horribly unimpressed by... after hearing it all talked up as being amazing and revolutionary it read like... a good batman story (as opposed to watchmen, which gripped me)

btw, who here reads daniel clowes? his stories to me are kind of depressing yet fun to read.. when i first read ghost world it was pretty much explained my world as an angst ridden, 17 year old
Super Monkey
Super
League of Supermen

« Reply #86 on: March 17, 2007, 11:58:13 PM »

oh wow

that list includes dark night returns... which i was horribly unimpressed by... after hearing it all talked up as being amazing and revolutionary it read like... a good batman story (as opposed to watchmen, which gripped me)

btw, who here reads daniel clowes? his stories to me are kind of depressing yet fun to read.. when i first read ghost world it was pretty much explained my world as an angst ridden, 17 year old

I really loved the DKR, just don't think of it as Batman story, and you will like it a lot more, LOL! Frank Miller is pretty good as long as he does his own stuff, rather than anyone else's characters. (except for Daredevil, which was the best Daredevil ever, IMHO) I just don't think his Batman was very good, DKR was an elsewheres tale, so it gets a lot of slack from me.

Daniel Clowes is super talented! I read many of his stories at library, but I own Eightball #23 with his own Superhero "The Death-Ray!", great stuff!

review: http://www.popmatters.com/comics/eightball-23.shtml

"I loved Super-Monkey; always wanted to do something with him but it never happened."
- Elliot S! Maggin
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [11]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L