superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonHolliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "THE AUCTION!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 03:21:12 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Action Comics is out of Action  (Read 44982 times)
Super Monkey
Super
League of Supermen

« on: February 16, 2007, 12:23:40 AM »

New Geoff Johns interview on how and why it happen:
http://forum.newsarama.com/showthread.php?t=101595

Included is a pretty nifty looking Superman on a upcoming cover. I still don't like Zombie Bizarro however. But at least he change it to say:

"Think Dawn of the Dead meets Roger Rabbit on a square planet"

So, I guess we shall see what becomes of it.

"I loved Super-Monkey; always wanted to do something with him but it never happened."
- Elliot S! Maggin
Kuuga
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2007, 05:01:24 AM »

He's prolly gonna have Bizzaro's eating people.

CHO-HENSHIN! KAMEN RAIDA, KUUGA!
Uncle Mxy
Superman Squad

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2007, 12:01:29 PM »

That would be Soylent Blue, because only Superman is vulnerable to Soylent Green.  Smiley
Permanus
Superman Squad

« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2007, 01:14:19 PM »

GJ: Three ridiculous and horrifying issues. Think Dawn of the Dead meets Roger Rabbit on a square planet. And if that doesn’t make you want to read the story check out Eric’s cover.

It's not square, it's cubic! If the world were square, people would fall off it!

Between the revolution and the firing-squad, there is always time for a glass of champagne.
Michel Weisnor
Action Ace

« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2007, 01:21:40 PM »

I wouldn't put it past him.

Seriously, someone needs to pull him aside and tell Johns to tone it down. In Justice Society of America #3, a mother and daughter were splattered "Kid Miracleman" style. Now, I would expect this form of violence in other comics but not in Justice Society. I thought the same in Action Comics when Bizarro broke a young boy's arm. It's not necessary to show such excessive violence.  

"Truth, Tolerance, and Justice"
JulianPerez
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2007, 07:06:08 PM »

Let me make a prediction right here: in 20 years, nobody will remember Morrison's ALL-STAR SUPERMAN at all, but people will still be talking about Johns's ACTION and Busiek's SUPERMAN.

This is what you're saying:

New Geoff Johns interview on how and why it happen:
http://forum.newsarama.com/showthread.php?t=101595

Included is a pretty nifty looking Superman on a upcoming cover. I still don't like Zombie Bizarro however.

Quote from: Kuuga

This, on the other hand, is all I'm hearing:

Quote from: SuperMonkey
"Think Dawn of the Dead meets Roger Rabbit on a square planet"

Now here's one place where we agree. MUST Geoff Johns use the Bizarro World, easily the most annoying and unfunny element of the Pre-Crisis mythos? It was cute to see a square earth as an easter egg in INFINITE CRISIS, but this is going too far.

I have faith, however, because of Johns's mindblowing talent, that he can turn it around and do something really cockeyed and strange. If anybody can do it, Johns can. I mean, this is the guy that in the pages of JSA took Ma Hunkel and played her straight, making her a wise, matronly character that the other JSA females confide in as a mother figure, a cross between Mrs. Cleaver and Guinan from TNG.

I just got finished rereading Geoff Johns's General Zod story arc, and I was impressed at how well he was able to build his story up with gradual revalations. There was always something strange every few pages. One thing I can say is that Johns is not predictable; the revalation on the last page of General Zod took me totally off guard, and he's great at posing questions that make you jumpy to know the answer to.

The thing I found most interesting about Johns's ACTION COMICS so far is how he alternates between Superman as a person with very human paternal instincts and a desire for companionship, and a heroic, can-do classic Superman. In other words, Johns toggles between Superman as a very lonely person, and Superman as an action hero like the Lone Ranger or Tarzan.

I just got around to reading the first issue of Johns's return to JSA from a couple months ago, and my God, does it ever start out strong. As great as I found Paul Levitz's JSA story arc with the Earth-2 heroes vs. the Gentleman Ghost, the traditional JSA characters and long-term story arcs you read the book for were absent. It didn't "feel" like JSA, strangely enough. I read the book for Sand's problems, the turmoil of Atom-Smasher, Black Adam's gradual heroic turn, and the incredible, doesn't-take-crap Wildcat, who took out the entire Injustice Gang by himself on a motorcycle (wow!). The "caper" tales of Levitz were fun, but I want to know what the gang's up to.

In his JSA, Johns delivers. In ONE PAGE, we know everything we need to know about who Ma Hunkel's grand-daughter is, which is a great act of characterization, even down to the "Defying Gravity" lyrics she was humming. It takes a lot of skill to make something as ordinary in superhero comics as flying feel extraordinary, but that moment when she was pushed off and flew instead of fell was triumphant. If it was a movie theater, people would have cheered.

To say nothing of the cliffhanger ending. BAM! Mr. America falls in through a glass window. If that wasn't enough, there were the weird little panel snippets at the end to make me crazy to know what's going on.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2007, 07:08:21 PM by JulianPerez » Logged

"Wait, folks...in a startling new development, Black Goliath has ripped Stilt-Man's leg off, and appears to be beating him with it!"
       - Reporter, Champions #15 (1978)
Kuuga
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2007, 09:23:14 PM »

Cute. Glad to know that you can save and post images, Julian. But lets leave your photo-album out of this.

Not everybody is gonna worship the ground Johns walks on or think he's brilliant for littering it with blood, bodyparts and corpses in a mainstream DC superhero comic.

CHO-HENSHIN! KAMEN RAIDA, KUUGA!
Michel Weisnor
Action Ace

« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2007, 10:04:29 PM »

Let me make a prediction right here: in 20 years, nobody will remember Morrison's ALL-STAR SUPERMAN at all, but people will still be talking about Johns's ACTION and Busiek's SUPERMAN.

Now here's one place where we agree. MUST Geoff Johns use the Bizarro World, easily the most annoying and unfunny element of the Pre-Crisis mythos? It was cute to see a square earth as an easter egg in INFINITE CRISIS, but this is going too far.

I have faith, however, because of Johns's mindblowing talent, that he can turn it around and do something really cockeyed and strange. If anybody can do it, Johns can. I mean, this is the guy that in the pages of JSA took Ma Hunkel and played her straight, making her a wise, matronly character that the other JSA females confide in as a mother figure, a cross between Mrs. Cleaver and Guinan from TNG.

I just got finished rereading Geoff Johns's General Zod story arc, and I was impressed at how well he was able to build his story up with gradual revalations. There was always something strange every few pages. One thing I can say is that Johns is not predictable; the revalation on the last page of General Zod took me totally off guard, and he's great at posing questions that make you jumpy to know the answer to.

The thing I found most interesting about Johns's ACTION COMICS so far is how he alternates between Superman as a person with very human paternal instincts and a desire for companionship, and a heroic, can-do classic Superman. In other words, Johns toggles between Superman as a very lonely person, and Superman as an action hero like the Lone Ranger or Tarzan.

I just got around to reading the first issue of Johns's return to JSA from a couple months ago, and my God, does it ever start out strong. As great as I found Paul Levitz's JSA story arc with the Earth-2 heroes vs. the Gentleman Ghost, the traditional JSA characters and long-term story arcs you read the book for were absent. It didn't "feel" like JSA, strangely enough. I read the book for Sand's problems, the turmoil of Atom-Smasher, Black Adam's gradual heroic turn, and the incredible, doesn't-take-crap Wildcat, who took out the entire Injustice Gang by himself on a motorcycle (wow!). The "caper" tales of Levitz were fun, but I want to know what the gang's up to.

In his JSA, Johns delivers. In ONE PAGE, we know everything we need to know about who Ma Hunkel's grand-daughter is, which is a great act of characterization, even down to the "Defying Gravity" lyrics she was humming. It takes a lot of skill to make something as ordinary in superhero comics as flying feel extraordinary, but that moment when she was pushed off and flew instead of fell was triumphant. If it was a movie theater, people would have cheered.

To say nothing of the cliffhanger ending. BAM! Mr. America falls in through a glass window. If that wasn't enough, there were the weird little panel snippets at the end to make me crazy to know what's going on.

Don't get me wrong Julian. I agree, Geoff Johns is a very good writer. He's really been able to make Justice Society of America a thrilling book. Plus, his complete volume of high profile work speaks for itself. My problem with Geoff Johns isn't his characterizations or plots but the gratuitous amount of violence in almost every series he's written. Most of the time, it isn't necessary and ultimately reflects poorly on his writings. I sound like a broken record but it's cheap...         

"Truth, Tolerance, and Justice"
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L