superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonHolliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "SONG OF THE EARTH!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 12:39:18 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Bob Oksner, R.I.P.  (Read 10054 times)
TELLE
Supermanica Council
Council of Wisdom

« on: February 19, 2007, 06:55:46 AM »

According to Mark Evanier, cartoonist Bob Oksner has passed away.  He was 89.

A longtime employee of DC Comics, Oksner had a penchant for drawing pretty girls and was also known as an artist for DC humor titles like Jerry Lewis.  He drew many Superman adventures and is especially remembered for his delineation of Supergirl, Lois Lane and other female characters.  For many years he also inked Curt Swan's pencils on a number of Superman titles.

Full obit:

http://www.newsfromme.com/archives/2007_02_18.html#012954

Everything you ever wanted to
know about the classic Superman:
Supermanica
The Encyclopedia of Supermanic Biography!
(temporarily offline)
davidelliott
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2007, 07:49:47 AM »

And drew the BEST Mary Marvel EVER!  Sorry to hear the news
JulianPerez
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2007, 11:47:37 AM »

I was always a fan of Bob Oskner as an inker over Curt Swan's art during the seventies. People talk about the Swan/Anderson combination, and while that combo certainly was dynamite, Bob Oskner was no slouch either, a worthy and underrated substitute.

It's sad but true: people appreciate creators more when they're dead. It's a shame that Don Heck had to die in order for people to take a second look at him as an artist. I imagine much the same will be true of Bob Oskner inking over Swan.

Though it's embarassing to admit, I sort of thought Bob Oskner was already dead at this point. My reaction was the same as when Jimmy Stewart died: "whoa...he was alive until now?"

"Wait, folks...in a startling new development, Black Goliath has ripped Stilt-Man's leg off, and appears to be beating him with it!"
       - Reporter, Champions #15 (1978)
jamespup
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2007, 12:12:33 PM »

Link to Superman Artists:

http://www.supermanartists.comics.org/superart/supermanart.htm
nightwing
Defender of Kandor
Council of Wisdom

Semper Vigilans

« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2007, 12:54:18 PM »

I had the opposite of Julian's reaction: somehow I thought of Oksner as much younger.  Very sad to see another of the greats leave us.

I consider him one of the best inkers of Swan's work, and probably my number two fave behind George Klein (sorry, Murph!).  He also did a gorgeous Mary Marvel and gave me a huge crush on Angel O'Dare, still for my money one of the smokin' hot babes of all comic history.  Cool

This looks like a job for...
Permanus
Superman Squad

« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2007, 04:34:40 PM »

Sad! He and Tex Blaisdell were my favourite Superman inkers in the 70s. I realised I didn't know much about him beyond his Superman work, so I looked him up today and was surprised at how many romance comics he did; he had a nice sense of composition and posed his characters very elegantly.

Between the revolution and the firing-squad, there is always time for a glass of champagne.
Super Monkey
Super
League of Supermen

« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2007, 01:11:01 AM »

What a huge loss, he was one of the best, RIP.

Please see this:

http://bp1.blogger.com/_tHVfHpnv17g/Rc8ulKRICuI/AAAAAAAAAAs/tnapo8VZcLk/s1600-h/dobie2.jpg

"I loved Super-Monkey; always wanted to do something with him but it never happened."
- Elliot S! Maggin
Klar Ken T5477
Council of Wisdom

Metropolis Prime, NYC, NY USA

« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2007, 02:56:42 AM »

^Tears came.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L