superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes Newton<Holliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "IT'S REAL!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 08:05:02 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Death of Jimmy?  (Read 11795 times)
Johnny Nevada
Last Son of Krypton

Milwaukee, WI

« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2007, 02:02:50 AM »

Gee, *another* story where the Joker apparently kills someone (and presumably the equivalent of the population of Indianapolis along with Jimmy, if past stories mean anything). Be still my heart...

Anyone remember when the Joker, well, *did* other stuff besides do some bad slasher film killer imitation? Like, well, *stealing*/trying to bump off Batman/etc.? I'm still annoyed at the Christmas story with the Joker's "plan" consisting of running Christmas shoppers over in an SUV and shooting a fast food manager.... not exactly Joker-faced fish or anything else I'd expect of a criminal mastermind (and save the "but he's *craaaazy*" excuse--- especially at $3 an issue, I expect more than the comic equivalent of a snuff film...). Undecided

DBN
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2007, 02:18:59 AM »

Let's do the math...

Each issue cost $2.99, you will have to get 52 issues to get the full story, that's $155.48!!!

Meh, it tends to even out with the scheduling these days.
Super Monkey
Super
League of Supermen

« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2007, 02:52:04 AM »

Let's do the math...

Each issue cost $2.99, you will have to get 52 issues to get the full story, that's $155.48!!!

Meh, it tends to even out with the scheduling these days.

I could buy a lot of Showcase books and TPBs for that money and still have money left over.

There will be so many great ones being release this year!

All Star Superman: Volume 1
Showcase Presents: Superman Vol. 3
Silver Star TPB
Captain Victory TPB

and that's just for starters! I rather get those.

"I loved Super-Monkey; always wanted to do something with him but it never happened."
- Elliot S! Maggin
GeorgeKirk
Superman Emergency Squad

« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2007, 03:33:46 AM »

When I saw that Wizard cover I was really pissed. Then I read this interview, which made it clear that the magazine cover is just a marketing ploy, because Jimmy can't very well die in the first issue of a series he plays a major role in.
DBN
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2007, 03:52:04 AM »

Once 52 and the current story arcs in my other DC titles end, I may well just switch over to trades for those titles (I'm dropping one title when the current arc ends anyway). It honestly depends on how well the single-issues grab me (meaning no decompression) and if my wife continues on the war path about the long boxes.

Countdown will get a one-issue evaluation.

I will continue to pick up the Showcase Editions that interest me as well as trades for my Marvel and IDW titles.

The one title that I will be purchasing single-issues for this year is Buffy Season 8.
nightwing
Defender of Kandor
Council of Wisdom

Semper Vigilans

« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2007, 01:23:59 PM »

You've got to admit "Countdown" is the perfect name if DC insists on another major crossover event.

That's "Countdown" as in:

2,000 readers left

This looks like a job for...
Michel Weisnor
Action Ace

« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2007, 04:18:04 PM »

Let's do the math...

To be fair, DC offered a discount for readers purchasing the entire 52. Of course, you are stuck for a long ride.

Counting Down: Interview

http://forum.newsarama.com/showthread.php?t=102192

NRAMA: Wrapping things up then – probably the most obvious question – what is Countdown counting down to?

DD: It’s pretty simple – we’re counting down to the next big event at DC Comics.

DC better hope short term goals translates into long term gains. Countdown could dissuade readers from buying monthly books. Some readers will just buy Countdown, figuring monthly titles don't matter; especially with another huge multi-crossover in the works.   

"Truth, Tolerance, and Justice"
Great Rao
Administrator
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2007, 04:56:13 PM »

DC better hope short term goals translates into long term gains. Countdown could dissuade readers from buying monthly books. Some readers will just buy Countdown, figuring monthly titles don't matter; especially with another huge multi-crossover in the works.   

For me it's the other way around.  I've given up cross-over events, weekly event books, etc.  To be honest, I have absolutely no interest in them.  I think it's only a matter of time until everyone else gets burned out as well.  You can't maintain a constant level of hype and anxiety, you need to give readers some down-time.  The reason that all those events of that past worked sales-wise is that they were Summer events.  But under DiDio, DC is now just one constant event.  It's the same mis-function as Hollywood trying to create a continuous stream of mega-blockbusters.  When was the last time they just made a normal movie?

So although I follow Action, Superman, and All-Star Superman, it's been at least  two or three months since an issue of any one of these books has shipped.  When I called DC subscription last month to see why I hadn't received anything, they said there wouldn't be a new issue until March.  Or maybe it was April.

Either way, I've come to appreciate these comics much more now that they are few and far between.  I hope DC isn't in the process of phasing out their monthlies as they shift their focus to the event books.

« Last Edit: February 21, 2007, 05:50:52 PM by Great Rao » Logged

"The bottom line involves choices.  Neither gods nor humans have ever stood calmly in a minefield forever.  Good or evil, they are bound to choose.  And when they do, you will see the truth of all that motivates us.  As a thinking being, you have the obligation to choose.  If the fate of all mankind were in your hands, what would your decision be?  As a writer and an artist, I've drawn my answer."   - Jack Kirby
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L