superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonThe EXILE at the EDGE OF ETERNITY!Holliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "GENERAL DESTRUCTION!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 03:49:50 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Justice League of America Film!!!  (Read 5826 times)
Michel Weisnor
Action Ace

« on: February 23, 2007, 03:38:39 PM »

http://forum.newsarama.com/showthread.php?t=102605

"Truth, Tolerance, and Justice"
nightwing
Defender of Kandor
Council of Wisdom

Semper Vigilans

« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2007, 07:12:13 PM »

I predict this movie will end up on my shelf right next to "Superman Vs. Batman" and the Arnold Schwartenegger remakes of "Doc Savage" and "Captain Blood."

See you in the theaters (of an alternate universe) in three years!

This looks like a job for...
JulianPerez
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2007, 09:52:44 PM »

Actually, the very things that make reading JLA in the long-term very difficult for me (the lack of events in the individual characters' lives, the self-contained/disposable stories that don't connect to each other, the Hollywood big-budget, big-name approach) might actually make JLA a very appealling film project: you can't expect stories with characters in the long-term, or have the developments of one story bleed into another LOST-style (because movies just don't work that way)...so you just do one giant, balls-to-the-wall picture with giant robots and alien invasion...which is what JLA is very much like anyway.

JLA is aggrivating because characterization is reduced to "funny bits" or to cute moments, but that's how movies have to work.

One of the most frustrating things about comic book movies (and to a lesser extent, animation) is they condense character bits together, removing plot points from their original context. Wolverine goes from an angry loner to a team player in the X-films, a transformation that feels fake in the movies, because in the comics it took FIFTEEN YEARS's worth of stories to happen.

There's nothing comparable to the "Wolverine becomes a team-player" story in JLA.

And so for that reason I predict of this movie gets made (HA!) it would be one of the most true-to-life comics stories ever.

"Wait, folks...in a startling new development, Black Goliath has ripped Stilt-Man's leg off, and appears to be beating him with it!"
       - Reporter, Champions #15 (1978)
TELLE
Supermanica Council
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2007, 12:31:37 AM »

The trailer's already up:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5-i8HAfO0tA

Everything you ever wanted to
know about the classic Superman:
Supermanica
The Encyclopedia of Supermanic Biography!
(temporarily offline)
Lee Semmens
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2007, 11:34:55 AM »

I predict this movie will end up on my shelf right next to "Superman Vs. Batman" and the Arnold Schwartenegger remakes of "Doc Savage" and "Captain Blood."

Surely, you don't mean "Superman and Batman"?

The idea of a film (or comic) about Superman and Batman opposed to each other is repugnant to me.
Super Monkey
Super
League of Supermen

« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2007, 02:20:46 PM »

Surely, you don't mean "Superman and Batman"?

The idea of a film (or comic) about Superman and Batman opposed to each other is repugnant to me.

see here: http://www.themovieblog.com/archives/2005/04/superman_vs_batman_on_the_big_screen.html

"I loved Super-Monkey; always wanted to do something with him but it never happened."
- Elliot S! Maggin
Lee Semmens
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2007, 11:14:26 AM »

All Superman would have to do would be to fry Batman to a pile of ashes from many miles away with his heat-vision.

I think the basic premise of the film is ridiculous, if not idiotic, in any case the average person in the street (who way outnumbers diehard Iron Age comic fans) - and they are the ones who would determine the success or failure of such a film - would surely view Superman and Batman as friends, not enemies.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2007, 11:19:23 AM by Lee Semmens » Logged
Kuuga
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2007, 02:58:34 PM »

All Superman would have to do would be to fry Batman to a pile of ashes from many miles away with his heat-vision.

I think the basic premise of the film is ridiculous, if not idiotic, in any case the average person in the street (who way outnumbers diehard Iron Age comic fans) - and they are the ones who would determine the success or failure of such a film - would surely view Superman and Batman as friends, not enemies.

That is exactly the reaction I get when I have people who come in the store and breeze through our graphic novel section. "Why is Batman beating Superman, that makes no sense. Why are they fighting? Is one of them under mind control? ." ..and I'm thinking to myself  "In the sense that the writer and editorial is like a nasty supervillan force controling them, yes."

Frankly while I can appreciate the occasional classic Marvel hero brawl that comes out of some misunderstanding, I have never understood the comicbook fans desire to want to see two great heroes be nasty to each other or try to kill each other. ..and now entire gigantic and swollen crossover events are built upon the very basis of the writers magically forgetting the nobility of these characters and having them act like jerks.

Now *some* friction is understandable at the outset because if they are meeting for the first time they don't actually know each other. At the same time, neither of them are stupid. They would both get the hell over themselves and realize that together they are indeed the Worlds Finest team.

CHO-HENSHIN! KAMEN RAIDA, KUUGA!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L