superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonHolliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "THE SPECIAL REPORT!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 07:50:43 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Homemade Mego Fortress of Solitude Playset!  (Read 10431 times)
nightwing
Defender of Kandor
Council of Wisdom

Semper Vigilans

« on: February 26, 2007, 03:34:30 PM »

I've tinkered a bit with customizing Mego figures, but there's a handful of guys out there who do it so well DC should award them a license.  A new area of interest is customized playsets; check out this guy's phenomenal "Fortress of Solitude", just the thing I'd have begged for as an 8-year-old at Christmas:

http://megomuseum.com/cgi-bin/ikonboard/topic.cgi?forum=5&topic=6369&start=0

This looks like a job for...
JulianPerez
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2007, 04:00:48 PM »

Man, that is the coolest thing ever. I love how the Jor-El and Lara statues flip to reveal other designs.

It's a little thing, but I think it's great he used the Neal Adams version of the Phantom Zone projector, which was a far better look for alien technology than the "wok" version. It's a shame that design didn't catch on.

If I have any critique, it's the 2-D cardboard Kandor. Surely Kandor is something you can easily build in three dimensions. Get a tiny glass bottle and do something with it.

Boy, this is bringing back memories. One of my favorite toys was the X-Men Blackbird, which had a detachable front and a back portion containing a miniature Cerebro with evil mutant stickers.

"Wait, folks...in a startling new development, Black Goliath has ripped Stilt-Man's leg off, and appears to be beating him with it!"
       - Reporter, Champions #15 (1978)
davidelliott
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2007, 09:02:45 PM »

That is so cool!  Brings me back to my childhood!  Reminds me of the Star Trek USS Enterprise playset I had!

Julian, not sure on your age (you sound like you may be younger than me.. I'm 41) or if you had Megos, but the 2-D Kandor is VERY Mego-ish... The stuff was cheap, but fun.  The builder was keeping the FoS in the Mego style, it seems... but a little bottle city in 3-D would look better, I agree!
Super Monkey
Super
League of Supermen

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2007, 12:42:44 AM »

If I have any critique, it's the 2-D cardboard Kandor. Surely Kandor is something you can easily build in three dimensions. Get a tiny glass bottle and do something with it.

Then it wouldn't be a Mego!!! The Mego play sets were all cardboard. So making a Kandor like that would ruin the effect.

See this real Batman Batcave play set: http://www.megomuseum.com/catalog/1974/images/wgsh2.jpg

"I loved Super-Monkey; always wanted to do something with him but it never happened."
- Elliot S! Maggin
nightwing
Defender of Kandor
Council of Wisdom

Semper Vigilans

« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2007, 01:16:48 AM »

Another thing Mego was famous for was slightly re-dressing figures and accessories to become "new" ones as needed.  I think maybe I'd have done a repaint on the Bat-Signal that came with the cave playset and made that the Phantom Zone projector.

Sure, it'd be a bit big, but Mego wasn't famous for scale, either.  The Batmobile was so small it looked like it should bounce the Dynamic Duo up and down when Batman put in a quarter. Cheesy

As an aside, this customizer also produced a pair of terrific Nightwing and Flamebird customs, complete with a "blister card" featuring Curt Swan graphics.

This looks like a job for...
jamespup
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2007, 01:25:00 AM »

A ToysRUs here on Long island had these two-packs of Batman Begins foam batarangs for a buck, so I took one to the scanner and it came up as 1 cent each !

so I bought the six they had, it came to 7 cents with tax, so i paid with a dime and got 3 cents change !

Great fun......might be worth a trip to ToysRUs for anyone interested
Super Monkey
Super
League of Supermen

« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2007, 01:29:26 AM »

You should had said "keep the change" Wink

"I loved Super-Monkey; always wanted to do something with him but it never happened."
- Elliot S! Maggin
jamespup
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2007, 01:17:05 AM »

"keep the change"  !   lyes, that would have made for even greater fun !

actually I did that once with a gift card that had like 82 cents on it.....i told the pompous clerk to keep it himself !
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L