superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonHolliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "IT'S REAL!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 12:08:14 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Funniest Thing I've ever read in my life  (Read 6528 times)
Great Rao
Administrator
Council of Wisdom

« on: February 26, 2007, 11:33:36 PM »

This one had me falling off my seat with laughter!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/6397373.stm

Better than Monty Python and even (sorry Klar) funnier than anything I've read in the Weekly World News!  Every little detail is brilliant - like Amos "Kloner" and the villager's quote that closes the article - and the whole thing is like an old comedy sketch - just one punch after the other, with absolutely no time to recover!

"The bottom line involves choices.  Neither gods nor humans have ever stood calmly in a minefield forever.  Good or evil, they are bound to choose.  And when they do, you will see the truth of all that motivates us.  As a thinking being, you have the obligation to choose.  If the fate of all mankind were in your hands, what would your decision be?  As a writer and an artist, I've drawn my answer."   - Jack Kirby
Super Monkey
Super
League of Supermen

« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2007, 12:09:11 AM »

I saw a report on it on TV, I rolled my eyes so hard I almost went blind.

"I loved Super-Monkey; always wanted to do something with him but it never happened."
- Elliot S! Maggin
crispy snax
Superman Family

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2007, 07:42:32 AM »

I saw a report on it on TV, I rolled my eyes so hard I almost went blind.

that would be quite fun to see supermonkey...
JulianPerez
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2007, 09:05:22 AM »

Ahh, so they finally found Yeshua ben Yosef, did they? Shame what happened to him, he was such a nice Rabbi and good Jewish boy.

Sorry for speaking the obvious here, but this whole thing stinks of cynical, sensationalist "junk archeology."

Incidentally, "Jesus" is a Greek corruption of Yeshua, or Joshua.

Wow, they found a tomb of a Jewish guy named Joshua.

SURELY, THIS MUST BE THE KING OF KINGS!

But I wouldn't discount this entire scenario out of hand, because there has been some debate over exactly when it was that Jesus died. One Australian journalist had a very persuasive theory that Jesus at the age of eighty died at Masada in 76 AD. The Muslims insist he escaped the cruxifiction and died in the Kashmir province of India.

The very fact that "Jesus's Tomb" was found in Judea is the very thing that makes it unlikely to be true for me. If Jesus was a political rebel, he probably would have died abroad as many other Judean expatriates/refugees did, because it just wouldn't have been safe for him to stick around. If I was an archeologist looking for Jesus's tomb Indiana Jones-style, I would look for it in Egypt, specifically Alexandria which had a host of Jewish refugees (a population that would increase with the uprisings of the 70s and 120's), and has the advantage of being a place that Jesus and his family had been before. Another possibly is Gaul, where there were many resettled Benjaminites.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2007, 09:27:21 AM by JulianPerez » Logged

"Wait, folks...in a startling new development, Black Goliath has ripped Stilt-Man's leg off, and appears to be beating him with it!"
       - Reporter, Champions #15 (1978)
Permanus
Superman Squad

« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2007, 01:56:26 PM »

Frankly (and perhaps blasphemously), it would have been pretty rare in those days for a simple carpenter to have a tomb of his own, especially a whole cave with a great big rock in front of it, which sounds like a rather expensive arrangement.

Between the revolution and the firing-squad, there is always time for a glass of champagne.
nightwing
Defender of Kandor
Council of Wisdom

Semper Vigilans

« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2007, 04:16:00 PM »

This is the legacy of "The DaVinci Code." Every two-bit crackpot out there is lining up to try and turn a buck off the latest "proof" that the Bible is a fraud.  If that idiot Brown can do it, why not the rest of us?

I'm not the most religious guy in the world, but the best argument in favor of the Biblical accounts being true is the later lives and often gruesome deaths of the apostles.  How many "con men" would be stupid enough to perpetrate a con that makes them less popular, less wealthy, less safe...and be willing to die deaths by torture just to keep the lie alive?  It just don't add up.

This looks like a job for...
Super Monkey
Super
League of Supermen

« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2007, 11:10:17 PM »

This is the legacy of "The DaVinci Code." Every two-bit crackpot out there is lining up to try and turn a buck off the latest "proof" that the Bible is a fraud.  If that idiot Brown can do it, why not the rest of us?

I'm not the most religious guy in the world, but the best argument in favor of the Biblical accounts being true is the later lives and often gruesome deaths of the apostles.  How many "con men" would be stupid enough to perpetrate a con that makes them less popular, less wealthy, less safe...and be willing to die deaths by torture just to keep the lie alive?  It just don't add up.

That would be true, unless they were made up as well, they didn't write the bible, that much we do know at least.

But who knows really? Who live or didn't live, what happen or didn't happen. I don't know.

Finding a tomb with the name Joshua and Mary, would be as easy as finding a tomb in Latin America with the names Jose and Maria Wink Seriously Smiley

"I loved Super-Monkey; always wanted to do something with him but it never happened."
- Elliot S! Maggin
jamespup
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2007, 01:06:46 AM »

JulianPerez, are you referring to Donovan Joyce's The Jesus Scroll ?  I have a copy of it , probably readily avalable on eBay or somewhere.  Yes, I agree, persuasive arguments.

I had heard the Muslim claim that Jesus escaped, but not the India part...interestingly though, the Apostle Thomas supposedly dies there, and he was known as the twin (again supposedly) of Jesus, which when i gave it some thought, made sense of the whole Judas needing to kiss Jesus to identify him in the Garden.

Like, if Jesus were that well known, would Judas have really needed to have done that?

Unless Jesus was wearing glasses and they all thought he was Kent
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L