superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonHolliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "GENERAL DESTRUCTION!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 05:04:51 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 1958...a good year for Superman  (Read 9034 times)
binarysunrise
Superman Family

« on: February 27, 2007, 09:04:27 PM »

So 1958 was an amazing year to be reading Superman.  As you know, I am working on indexing all of the old, forgotten Superman newspaper strips.  I am up to 1958.  How is this for a series of 3 back-to-back storylines:

1) Brainiac
In April 1958 a storyline began involving an alien named Romado, who is clearly a prototype for Brainiac, who would first appear in Action Comics #242 (July 1958).  Romado has a computer-enhanced mind, and collects miniature cities in bottles from around the galaxy.  He has the shrunken Kryptonian city of Dur-el-va, which he traps Superman in.

2) Bizarro
Bizarro appears in the strips in September of 1958.  Though Superboy #68 (cover date of October 1958) hit the stands earlier, this story was actually written first.  In this early version, Bizarro has a "B" on his chest.  What is creepy is that Superman convinces Lois to betray Bizarro and trick him into getting exposed to his version of kryptonite, which "kills" him. (Though as Superman says, how can you kill a shadow...)

3) Metallo
December 15, 1958 begins a new story of Professor Vale saving a patient from a horrible accident, and having to put in a mechanical heart, etc. to save him.  He is powered by uranium pellets, with the possibility of some other rare mineral....I haven't read much of the story yet, as the year ends, but it is clearly the first Metallo story.  This is winter 1958.  In the comics, he first appears in Action Comics #252 (May 1959)

The Speeding Bullet
   http://www.thespeedingbullet.com
--an archive of Superman newspaper strips--
binarysunrise
Superman Family

« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2007, 10:29:23 PM »

Here are some images from my site:

Romado playing chess with Superman - the pieces they are playing for are cities on Earth....

First Bizarro...

First Metallo...

The Speeding Bullet
Great Rao
Administrator
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2007, 04:31:23 AM »

Absolutely incredible stuff, I hope these are all published in book form some day.

I see a lot of Curt Swan in some of those Wayne Boring strips.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2007, 04:34:55 AM by Great Rao » Logged

"The bottom line involves choices.  Neither gods nor humans have ever stood calmly in a minefield forever.  Good or evil, they are bound to choose.  And when they do, you will see the truth of all that motivates us.  As a thinking being, you have the obligation to choose.  If the fate of all mankind were in your hands, what would your decision be?  As a writer and an artist, I've drawn my answer."   - Jack Kirby
crispy snax
Superman Family

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2007, 09:34:16 AM »

this is.... kinda amazing!

i mean three of the classic characters who were invented in 1958 and they all appeared previously in the newspaper strips! makes me wonder if the strips were used as tryouts
Super Monkey
Super
League of Supermen

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2007, 11:44:52 AM »

They were, many character ideas 1st appeared in the strips before appearing in the comic books.

"I loved Super-Monkey; always wanted to do something with him but it never happened."
- Elliot S! Maggin
binarysunrise
Superman Family

« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2007, 01:50:43 PM »

They were, many character ideas 1st appeared in the strips before appearing in the comic books.

Sort of makes you wonder why no one credits these strips for the origins of these characters.  So far off the top of my head the strips have the first bald Lex Luthor, the first comic telephone booth change, Mxyzptlk, Bizarro, Metallo, and a proto-Brainiac.  What major characters (separate from say the first couple years at Superman's inception) are left?  I guess Superboy and Supergirl are the obvious ones, but what about classic villains?

The Speeding Bullet
Permanus
Superman Squad

« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2007, 03:48:38 PM »

I didn't realise this at all; I assumed that the strips were just another quick cash-in on Superman's success. Also, the original newspaper strip versions of Metallo and Bizarro seem scarier than the comic-book versions - or is that just me?

Between the revolution and the firing-squad, there is always time for a glass of champagne.
davidelliott
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2007, 04:56:06 PM »

I didn't realise this at all; I assumed that the strips were just another quick cash-in on Superman's success. Also, the original newspaper strip versions of Metallo and Bizarro seem scarier than the comic-book versions - or is that just me?
They seem to me to be as well....

ANOTHER ALTERNATE EARTH!  Why wasn't THIS one shown in COIE? ;-)
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L