superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonThe ADVENTURES of SUPERBOY!Holliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "GENERAL DESTRUCTION!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 06:28:46 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 1958...a good year for Superman  (Read 9027 times)
Chris Mortimore
Superman's Pal

« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2007, 05:56:03 PM »

These are very interesting.

A chess game to decide the fate of cities on Earth. High stakes game.

Thanks binarysunrise.

Real knowledge is to know the extent of ones ignorance
Super Monkey
Super
League of Supermen

« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2007, 01:21:26 AM »

They were, many character ideas 1st appeared in the strips before appearing in the comic books.

Sort of makes you wonder why no one credits these strips for the origins of these characters.  So far off the top of my head the strips have the first bald Lex Luthor, the first comic telephone booth change, Mxyzptlk, Bizarro, Metallo, and a proto-Brainiac.  What major characters (separate from say the first couple years at Superman's inception) are left?  I guess Superboy and Supergirl are the obvious ones, but what about classic villains?

Titano 1st appeared in the comic strip as well I believe under a different name. It also worked the other way around, as stories from comic books were re-done in the strips.

"I loved Super-Monkey; always wanted to do something with him but it never happened."
- Elliot S! Maggin
Avilos
Supermen of America

« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2007, 04:48:12 AM »

Thanks binarysunrise.

The idea of using the bottle cities a chess pieces is such a great visual! I am surprised this was not used for the Brainiac version in the comics.
crispy snax
Superman Family

« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2007, 08:01:15 AM »

ANOTHER ALTERNATE EARTH!  Why wasn't THIS one shown in COIE? ;-)

probably the same reason why theres no Earth-E or Earth-B in it! imagine the story with three very slightly different supermans hanging around....

then again, im taking a joke too far  Tongue i just found it odd that they first appeared in the strip rather than the comic, you think they would start out in the comic (which would be seen as the definitive medium for superman i would think) and then get recycled for the strips

and yes, bizzaro and brainiaic are more scary, and the metallo seems more realistic and destressed, unlike in the comics where he takes it with ease "ooh ive got a robot body now, back to the life of crime!"
ProfPotter
Supermen of America

« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2007, 07:56:40 PM »

The "B" symbol on Bizarro's chest also almost made it into the comic book, apparently.  Here's a house ad from Superboy #67 showing the next issue, but in that next story, the "B" had changed to an "S".  And the art for the house ad appears to be by George Papp (for Bizarro, anyway, Superboy is by Plastino I believe), so it's not taken from the comic strip (which, by the way, is obviously by Swan despite having Boring's name on it).

binarysunrise
Superman Family

« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2007, 11:22:30 PM »

Thanks binarysunrise.

The idea of using the bottle cities a chess pieces is such a great visual! I am surprised this was not used for the Brainiac version in the comics.

Actually they used landmarks to represent the cities (Eiffel Tower for Paris, for example).  When Superman lost - I think he lost the pieces for Paris and Metropolis, then they were bottled up...

The Speeding Bullet
   http://www.thespeedingbullet.com
--an archive of Superman newspaper strips--
carmelo
Superman Emergency Squad

« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2007, 01:51:55 AM »

In yours opinion the newspaper stips of Superman were better of comics books? ,for artwork and stories ?I think so.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L