superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonHolliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "IT'S REAL!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 02:54:57 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Superman... return of The Prankster, two issues in one month! and other stuff  (Read 3001 times)
Super Monkey
Super
League of Supermen

« on: March 01, 2007, 01:44:59 AM »

Please note the following contents changes to upcoming issues of SUPERMAN:

SUPERMAN #660 (NOV060188) now will feature a story written by Kurt Busiek, with art by Mike Manley & Bret Blevins and a cover by James Fry & Rodney Ramos. This issue looks at someone who's popped in and out of SUPERMAN for months. Ever since "Up, Up and Away," he's made his presence known. Now, at long last, the story you demanded starring... The Prankster?! This issue is scheduled to arrive in stores on March 14.

SUPERMAN #661 (DEC060191) now will feature a story written by Kurt Busiek & Richard Howell, with art by Richard Howell & Eduardo Barreto and a cover by Jesus Merino. In it, an ancient and vicious curse set into motion by the Greek gods hits Metropolis, challenging Superman in a way he's never been challenged before. It'll take more than the Man of Steel to save the day this time. Enter: Wonder Woman! But even their combined power may not be enough to halt a curse older than time itself! This issue is scheduled to arrive in stores on March 28. Retailers may adjust orders on it through the Final Order Cutoff date of March 8.

SUPERMAN #662 (JAN070269) now will feature the start of the 5-part second half of "Camelot Falls," previous slated to appear in issue #661. This issue is written by Kurt Busiek with art and cover by Carlos Pacheco & Jesus Merino. This issue is scheduled to arrive in stores on April 11. Retailers may adjust orders on it through the Final Order Cutoff date of March 22.

SUPERMAN #663 (MAR070183) now will feature now will feature chapter two of the 5-part second half of "Camelot Falls," in which the Young Gods of New Genesis pay a visit to Metropolis, while the Prankster is on the loose and the threat of Arion looms over the city. This story was previous slated to appear in issue #662, and is written by Kurt Busiek with art and cover by Carlos Pacheco & Jesus Merino, as solicited in the March Previews (Volume XVII #3). This issue is scheduled to arrive in stores on May 9.

Because of these changes, SUPERMAN #660, 661 and 662 will be made returnable at a later date.

source: http://forum.newsarama.com/showthread.php?t=103155
« Last Edit: March 01, 2007, 01:47:15 AM by Super Monkey » Logged

"I loved Super-Monkey; always wanted to do something with him but it never happened."
- Elliot S! Maggin
JulianPerez
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2007, 06:12:53 PM »

Add the Prankster in to a very, very long list of "Superman villains that only really worked for me when Marty Pasko was writing them" along with Mxyptlk, Toyman, and Bizarro.

But I must say, the Johns and Busiek take on the character is nothing short of character-saving spectacular. For one thing, they remember the Prankster's debonair appearance from UNDERWORLD UNLEASHED, which replaced the caricature-esque body that even when drawn realistically made me never seriously accept him as a villain.

Of course, the moment that Busiek and Johns really sold me on this character was when the Prankster defeated Hal Jordan...with itching powder. Hal trips the booby trap, and he's covered in the stuff. Meaning, Hal can't concentrate to use the ring. GENIUS! This is how you write a character like Prankster as being formidable: have him use his gimmicks in really clever ways.

Then there were the robot refrigerators that start "running." Which causes the Prankster to stop and make prank calls in the middle of his attack on the city. Wow.

"Wait, folks...in a startling new development, Black Goliath has ripped Stilt-Man's leg off, and appears to be beating him with it!"
       - Reporter, Champions #15 (1978)
Permanus
Superman Squad

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2007, 07:52:58 PM »

As you say, Julian, it only really works with the Prankster when he uses believable technology. The same would go for the Toyman, really: I've never really seen him well handled, he always just seems to use really sophisticated sci-fi technology made to look like toys. Anyway, they both look silly and frankly, I hate them. Bah!

Between the revolution and the firing-squad, there is always time for a glass of champagne.
Super Monkey
Super
League of Supermen

« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2007, 10:40:37 PM »

Actually, I agree on Toyman, never liked the comic version, there is one thing that I don't like about the Pre-Crisis comics for your list Julian.

The version used on the TV show (cartoon) was better, unless I am thinking of a Batman villain. I am not too sure.

"I loved Super-Monkey; always wanted to do something with him but it never happened."
- Elliot S! Maggin
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L